Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Your killing my Strava
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than Coe. Is there any where else that allows Night riding? Kennedy Limeklin?? Stevens Creek?
Thanks

·
Marin rider
80 Posts
According to the local land management entities in Marin, only the Headlands from Coyote Ridge south is legal to ride at night with lights.

There are "supposedly" one or two fire roads on Tam where it's legal but, it's illegal to access those fire roads at night via other roads due to the different municipalities criss crossing the mountain, kinda a Catch-22.

At least this is what my research came up with after calling the different offices directly last year.

That said, riding the Headlands, particularly under a full moon, is a blast.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,551 Posts
Pretty much all night riding in the South Bay and Peninsula is illegal. So I believe most folks who night ride, just discuss it in private email and scatter about as they are treated like criminals by the idiotic parks system.

It's not the end of the world but we need to work to change this. We are the joke of the mountain biking world as most of my friends around the world just cannot believe mountain biking at night is not allowed.

fc

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Tamarancho is definitely not legal. You probably won't deal with Rangers but the land managers will ask you to leave and some of the local home owners have been aggressive about it in the past. I believe that the Marin County Open Space land, as opposed to Marin Municipal Water District, is also open but they are much smaller tracks of land.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've heard that Marin Open Space is legal too, but I haven't found a single reference that states Tamarancho night riding is illegal. Where can I find the info that it is illegal? As to the local homeowners, they have no legal say as to who goes up and down Iron Spring, a public road paid and maintained by tax money. And I say this as a local homeowner on the route of riders heading to Tamarancho. I'm less than a mile from the trailhead.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
From a quick search of past threads.

"Friends of Tamarancho Rules & Regulations number 2 "Use is permitted year-round from sunrise to sunset..."

With the private land thing it definitely isn't illegal but I do recall Danny who runs the camp (I believe that is his name) coming onto the boards in the past and asking people to respect this rule.

BTW, I totally agree per local homeowners, it's not them its the camp. I'm generally do what you want quietly guy but on a public board thems the rules.

Marin Open Space is strange but I believe Gunshot and the climb up to the that trail coinciding with the longest and shortest days of the year falls into that jurisdiction. Also Camino Alto Bowl which doesn't offer much but some crushing fire road climbs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting... While I think this could be the case, a post in a thread does not qualify as an official rule. I've read all the documents that came with my pass as well as the application, and scoured their website.

All I can find as rules are:

No Dogs
All Riders Must Have a Visible Pass
Ride in Control
BIKES MUST STAY ON SINGLE TRACK
Uphill riders always get right of way from other bikes.
Bikes always yield to hikers.

And on the trails there are no posted signs that forbid night riding. Under the circumstances, it seems reasonable to assume night riding is acceptable. I want to respect the boy scouts, but if this were forbidden and a serious issue, it would be posted somewhere official, not as a post in a forum thread by someone who is not an official. My 2 cents.

·
Marin rider
80 Posts
Again, trails/fire roads designated for mountain bike use south of and including Coyote Ridge trail to the Golden Gate Bridge are LEGAL to ride in the dark of night as long as folks also use lights. This I personally confirmed by calling the offices for that area as well as confirming in person with Park Rangers on the beat. One, I even asked while on a ride at night when using lights.

For other Marin riders, a local non-profit, Access-4-Bikes is working to open more Marin trails to mountain bike use and I recently saw an article in the I.J. speaking about the MCBC getting more involved in mountain biking issues.

I hope to ride the Headlands at night soon. Lemme know if someone is interested in it too.

·
Hazardous to your health!
472 Posts
this is 3 hours away from, you, but auburn, granite bay all have 9 o clock closing times. i ride my night rides on those trails

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah, East Bay Regional Parks are mostly open to 10PM. I go up to Briones from time to time and find there are even a lot of night hikers out there. Love it.

Dang, now that the days are shorter than nights, I think I'm start doing dusk rides. It's going to be the only way I can get a mid-week workout... and I desperately need more miles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.