Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many ppl in the Waterbury area night ride. Thinking of getting a light and going out for the first time this fall and no idea what sort of light to get. What type is better handle bar mount or helmet mount or get one of both.

·
Vermonter to the Core
435 Posts
I ride with a helmet light and one strapped to my stem..... both lights seem to work out really good!
JEM

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use one a lot once we get to September and beyond. Helmet mounts let you walk around, , change a flat, etc, and are great for around the house during power outages. I have one called a Head Trip by Nite Ryder, cost around $100 and has been great, has about a 2 hour run time.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Lots of night riders here in Rutland come fall, but not so much this time of year.

As for helmet vs. bars, that's a long running debate. On the bars gives much better trail definition, because of the long shadows it creates. On the hat, the light is always pointing where you're looking, but no shadows. I use both :thumbsup: but if I have to choose (when I loan one out) I run it on the bars.

As for what light to get, there are a lot of nice ones out there, but it's hard to argue with the price/output of the magicshine from geomangear.com. I build my own lights, but even then I'm probably spending as much or more for equal output. The "Lights & Night Riding" and "Lights DIY" forums here are good sources of info. Check out the "lights shootout" that's linked at the top of those forums.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts