Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered before but, I am looking to get into night riding on Desert Classic and I was wondering a couple things.

1) What are good lights for this(hopefully not too expensive). Do I need both handlebar and helmet lights? or will one or the other work?

2) How much more difficult is it at night, Is it hard to get used to. But I have been riding DC for the last 5 years so I am pretty familiar with this trail, so thanks in advance

·
Registered
765 Posts
Rover Nick said:
Sorry if this has been covered before but, I am looking to get into night riding on Desert Classic and I was wondering a couple things.

1) What are good lights for this(hopefully not too expensive). Do I need both handlebar and helmet lights? or will one or the other work?

2) How much more difficult is it at night, Is it hard to get used to. But I have been riding DC for the last 5 years so I am pretty familiar with this trail, so thanks in advance
I only use a bar light, but carry an inexpensive led headlamp as backup. If you're patient, you can get a good deal on an HID setup on EBAY. I picked up my L&M for 219, brand new a while back.

As for difficulty, it's not really more difficult, but it is different. I found I was taking totally different lines in some areas. Also, you get to see a bunch of critters that you wouldn't normally see.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Rover Nick said:
Are the 200+ HID systems really nessecary? I was hoping to spend more in the range of $50-75 ones, would those be suitable?
Even the cheaper halogen systems seem to be around 100. I still see people with them, but the HID's are considerably brighter. If it was me I'd look for a deal on a used HID, and if you don't like it, re-sell it on EBAY.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
i was forced to run som cheap headlights after my borrowed HID dies at the 24 hitop. It was brutal. For the 45 minutes I had the HID, it was great.

But it died (bad battery, or maybe it wasnt fully charged). I had to ride an hour and change with a $45, AA battery light, and a $30 AA helmet mount light. It was brutal. I could only see 10 feet in front of me. and that was this stupid spot. the light didnt spread well enough to light up much out of its focus pattern. It took me longer to ride than planned. I had to ride slower so I could see things. It was lame.

Next year I plan on getting at least a $100 10w hallogen, or maybe an HID.

Id say if you had to go for just one light, go helmet. It is better for corners & such, where you are looking with your eyes, not your bike. otherwise you have to point your wheel to shine the light in that direction. (maybe this was because of my stupid lights though).

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Does anyone recommend a great light for cheaper? Id like to get a 10watt light. That would last for at least 2 hours +.

Some brands to stay away from? or brands to look for on ebay? would I have to worry about battery life on a used set up?

I just dont want to spend 3 or 4 hundred.

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
'Tis the season for this topic :madmax: !

While cost is certainly a factor, I'd have to pipe in that once you try an HID, you'll never want to go back. And agreed, patience will get some great values on eBay. It is always good to have a back-up, and I am very pleased with using a halogen as a headlamp for just that purpose. In tame singletrack areas, I can run my HID only (bar mount) - when the going gets tough, I turn on the halogen which gives more light and allows me to see around turns, etc. In our rocky terrrain, I prefer to keep the HID on the bar, which provides much needed depth perception/shadows so you can actually see rocks and stuff instead of just feeling them. :thumbsup:

Hank

·
Registered
271 Posts
I tried the Planet Bike Alias 10 watter for about 100 bucks and was sorely dissappointed. After riding with a Light and Motion for 350, I can safely say I'll never ride with anything less. Unfortunately, I had a problem with it. It would kick down from hi beam to lo beam at random times, usually on a downhill. The only way to bring it back was turning it off/on again. But that lasted for another 5-10 minutes. L&M said they'd never heard of it and wasn't heat related...who knows.

I gave up on night riding and go at 5am now. God's HID owns pretty hard. :D

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
mattKHS said:
Does anyone recommend a great light for cheaper? Id like to get a 10watt light. That would last for at least 2 hours +.

Some brands to stay away from? or brands to look for on ebay? would I have to worry about battery life on a used set up?

I just dont want to spend 3 or 4 hundred.
My first light (3 years old) a Night Rider Digital Evolution is stil running strong. A good intro light that you can use as a back-up if you upgrade to an HID later on.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
id agree with this. But if you had to do just one. Id say helmet.

Technical tight turns, can kill if you cant see around the corner enough to notice the cactus that is gonna eat you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Night Rides

I've done my first two night rides in the last 10 days, and as a newbie to night riding on dirt, it was very different. I went all out on the advise of a veteran biker and bought the NR chargeable that will get you 5 hours....for nearly $500. It's bright, and certainly lights around the trail when you are on singletrack, but it doesn't make it day time. I found out really quickly that the cord going up to my helmet was a pain, so I mounted it next on my handlebars. Big mistake, I'll be going back to the helmet. Both rides had some pretty hard scrabble and the bouncing light drove me nuts...not as bad on the helmet. After all this, I have to say it makes the ride more of an "E-ticket" experience. When you are just getting into it, I'd allow an extra 20% travel time as it slowed me down considerably in the descents.

Worth every penny....I'd do it again the same way!

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
my first night ride was in the 25hitop. it was really different. I was very slow. and that is a pretty non-tect trail. just watch for cactus, and pedal.

I may have to take AZspeed freak up on his offer. I just want to ride with someone who doesnt mind ridding with someone who has ridden once in the dark. im sure for the experienced night rider, a newbie night ridder can drag along.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.