Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that white ranch closes at sunset :( , but what about everywhere else?
How late into the season can you ride before it starts to get too cold?

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
All national forest stuff is open 24/7. Green Mtn. is open until 10:00pm, all the other Jeffco, BCOS stuff close 30 minutes past sunset. Depending how well you can and want to deal with the cold, you can ride year round. I did a few night rides last year that were 10-15 degrees below freezing....it was f'ing cold, but doable.

If you wanna talk to some crazy f'ers, pop over to the Alaska forum and ask them about their winter night rides...I'ver heard tale of -40 F.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ibmkidIII said:
If you wanna talk to some crazy f'ers, pop over to the Alaska forum and ask them about their winter night rides...I'ver heard tale of -40 F.
And I can attest to that. "Back in the day" we used to do a shuttle ride outside of Anchorage where we'd ride down a long snowmobile trail. Bike tire chains and everything. I'd carry my rope and flag down passing snowmobiles to pull me back up ( which is something I can't recommend )

Somewhere I have a picture of myself with my bike near the top of Powerline Pass next to a thermometer reading -20 F just to send to some of my thin blooded friends in Lousianna.

When I worked in Prudhoe Bay some guy had two bikes and we took them for a ride once when it was -45 F. The ride lasted only about 2 minutes though since we both realized we'd probably frostbite our respiratory systems if we took any deep breaths out there. Wish I had a picture of that though.

By the way, you did some awesome climbing up The Wall today IbmkidIII!!! Though no one cleaned it, Kirk definately climbed the majority of it.

Ed

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info IBM. Anything below freezing is just going to be out of the question, me thinks. Maybe if I had grip shift so I could wear mittens I could go colder :p .

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
It's all about the clothe chooses. When it's that cold I wear my "light" snowboard gloves. You lose a little of the dexterity with shifting and overall handling, but you can shift for sure with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.