Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So between getting off work late and my sons soccer practice I found myself itching to saddle up and ride but no daylight left to do so. I have never trail rode at night so I was a little apprehensive. Finally after pouting in my chair that I didn't get to go outside and play I said screw it, I'm hitting the trails. The wind was brutal as I headed south to the trail head and I questioned my decision but once my bike disappeared off the concrete trail into the timberline I knew I had made the right decision. There was not a soul out there( well not that I saw) and while the wind made everything move and to be honest a little creepy I couldn't believe how much fun it was. A trail I felt I could close my eyes and ride felt brand new. The turns were all different, the drops offs steeper, and the amount of fun I was having was two fold of a normal ride during the day. I can honestly say I'm addicted and can't wait for another night like last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is SO cool!!!! Thank you for those pics. Wow, that looks like it would be very eerie, but so much fun... I can see it being very serene and peaceful too. Hearing all the night life, out there alone... Then you see sets of eyes gleaning back at you :yikes:

What light are you using? Battery life?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh there were a lot of noises out there and even a rabbit or two that decided to run ahead of me for a while. However, as you said there were those times is was so serene and peaceful. The last picture we call Six Flags, not sure what the actually name is but that is what a buddy and I call it, after I went down it there was no wind and you could hear everything and nothing all at once. I turned off all my lights and just sat thinking to myself, yep add one more addiction to the pile!

My light is a Cygolight 600, and the battery life is excellent. It has multiple settings and makes you visible not matter what the lighting outside.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh there were a lot of noises out there and even a rabbit or two that decided to run ahead of me for a while. However, as you said there were those times is was so serene and peaceful. The last picture we call Six Flags, not sure what the actually name is but that is what a buddy and I call it, after I went down it there was no wind and you could hear everything and nothing all at once. I turned off all my lights and just sat thinking to myself, yep add one more addiction to the pile!

My light is a Cygolight 600, and the battery life is excellent. It has multiple settings and makes you visible not matter what the lighting outside.
That's awesome. Thanks. No complaints with the light? That is a spendy little bugger. Looks well built and worth it though!

·
Trailhead Poseur
506 Posts

That looks like the hand and forearm of a zombie poking through the ground to the left of the trail. It's pointing with it's finger, like it's trying to say "I'm coming for you!" Are you sure that trail doesn't run through an old graveyard? :eekster:

I turned off all my lights and just sat thinking to myself, yep add one more addiction to the pile!
I started night riding myself this past fall, so I could keep up over the winter when it was otherwise too dark for my usual after-work ride. I did that sometimes, too. My trails are mostly through a dense forest, but there were a couple of places it ran through open palmetto scrub. I'd click off the lights and just look at the stars. So many more than I could see with all the light pollution at home.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Awesome! I too need to "try" this..any cool stuff like that I have to drive too...I need to move so I can leave my garage and hit that type of stuff.....

Now I'm thinking..the summer heat gets 100 here and if I ride at night or say 5am BEFORE and AFTER the sun is gone = cool rideing again!! Hmmmmmm
Looks like I'm buying a light now! Gee Thanks! LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great pics! Dude, Deception is tough enough during the day I can't imagine at night.
Oh I didn't ride Deception, I just played in the kiddie pool and rode Picnic and whatever the trails that come out right out at the trail head are called. Deception would be fun to ride at night though. Thinking I won't do that one solo, as when I finish a night ride there I will want to tip a few back and relive the highlights. Or I'll need someone to put the tourniquet on to stop the bleeding either way... not riding that one solo. LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
were your photos taken by cell phone or a camera?

that light looks super bright.

-=Jason=-
I took them with my iPhone. I had my light on high which is supposed to be 600 lumens.

·
100.oz minimum
66 Posts
I'm always afraid that bigfoot is gonna closeline me clean off my bike when i ride at night. Those pictures make me wanna night ride more.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Then you see sets of eyes gleaning back at you :yikes:
I've seen deer's eyes reflect the light so bright I was almost certain someone was shining a light at me. Every time I see reflecting eyes its always a deer but it still gets my heart rate going. I see lots of foxes, bats and owls as well. I've been hit by a bat, it brushed right off my shoulder, it wasn't that eventful. Night riding rules. After night rides I always think or say, "Man, that was awesome!"

Nice pics too. When I take pics at night they don't look so good.

·
Magically Delicious
9,803 Posts
I really enjoy night riding and all of the differences it brings out of riding on a familiar trail. Everything is different. On familiar trails at night, dark drop-offs can be a rush. Knowing what lies below allows you launch into the darkness with some level of confidence in a favorable outcome. Even though you know what's below, it remains a thrill dropping into the abyss.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it happened again! This time it was sick kiddos and momma was tired and worn out. So I pulled kitchen duty, watched a lil tv with the family, got the kids nestled into bed. I figured since I didn't kill myself last time so why not give it another try....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts