Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..... Lets start a discussion a bike blazing black runs at night.

Whose doing it?

Do you do anything different? or is it simply strap some lights on and go, business as usual?

I generally dont do massive jump lines in the dark because my depth perception in the air all turns to ****. But riding tech is business as usual. Particularly if you have a descent light set up!

I blazed a virgin run down this track nigel nomates in the dark and damp the other morning. Turned out it wasnt that easy in the wet..... fun times.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,222 Posts
Pretty much BAU... Then again, it's fricken hot when that white disk is in the sky now.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,979 Posts
Since there is no standard on the label, it doesn't mean a whole lot. I have been down "single black" trails that I could take a beginner on, and been down "single black" trails that get used for DH racing.

That said, I live in SoCal. In summer time I tend to ride a lot at night, and I don't change what trails I ride. I will hit jumps I know just fine, scout jumps I don't know more closely, but might still do them.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,700 Posts
i ride chunk better at night

w/o peripheral reference as to how steep it is, I dare more and relax more

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,955 Posts
I love riding technical stuff at night. I seem to see lines way better, and the narrow line of vision keeps my overactive brain from scanning unnecessary crap off the side of the trail. The only thing I don't like about riding at night is not spotting rattlers until I'm too close for comfort.

·
slow
7,166 Posts
I ride pre-dawn all year and get some night rides in a few times a month, all on the same trails I ride during the daytime. Things begin to get dicey when you add snow and ice. Helmet mounted headlights wash out and flatten the terrain while bar mounted lights don't always point where you want them, so I strap on 2 lights. I don't know what my usual trails are rated, or if they even rate the trails around here.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love riding technical stuff at night. I seem to see lines way better, and the narrow line of vision keeps my overactive brain from scanning unnecessary crap off the side of the trail. The only thing I don't like about riding at night is not spotting rattlers until I'm too close for comfort.

View attachment 1938300

That's nice looking tech. Ohhhh. i never have to think about snakes or any other animal getting me. OK maybe a wild pig. But that would be exceedingly unlikely.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I can't imagine hitting the jump line at night. Like launching into the black abyss until you shine on the landing? That's gotta be pretty surreal.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I also definitely crash more at night. Everything is always wet, and I lose a bit of finesse and kind of bash through things more.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That's nice looking tech. Ohhhh. i never have to think about snakes or any other animal getting me. OK maybe a wild pig. But that would be exceedingly unlikely.
I got taken out by some animal on one run. Either a small pig or dog darted into trail and i nailed it with front wheel and i went down. The creature darted off into the darkness with a yelp. Happened so fast i have no idea what it was.
Dont have or hit big jumps. Ride a little slower, although it feels fast. Never alone, i did a couple times and realized if i crash bad, good chance no one would find me for a while.

·
Old man on a bike
12,389 Posts
LOL at first I thought you meant black as in riding in the dark...knew some guys way back when lights weren't much available who would do that and would think a full moon was cheating ;) Riding today's lights vs old NightSuns is a bit different as well as the batteries. I haven't gone for a night ride in a while, used to do it regularly when I worked, but in retirement it needs to be a really hot day to even think about it. I didn't often have "new" trails to ride at night except those that were a bit more poach friendly perhaps :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I rode one of our double black trails last year in the dark (first half is definitely a double black, then mellows out to a single black). Honestly it wasn’t any harder, because my light lit up the trees which helped illuminate the features. It is not a jump trail, just ultra steep tech through loamy old growth forest (sounds terrible, right?😉). It helps that it’s not a high speed trail; too steep and technical).

I wouldn’t hit jump lines in the dark — my depth perception is way off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Night riding is so fun! I ride the same technical stuff day and night, but while I love the tunnel vision that helps tackle tough stuff w/o distractions, I can definitely get down faster in daylight because I can see farther ahead down the trail. I use a big, multiple LED china light w 1500 lumens on a extender GoPro mount that puts it 2 inches above the bars...so it shines pretty well down the trail.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,206 Posts
We have some small jumps - nothing approaching black anything - that look like you are leaving the planet (or heading for an open mine shaft) when you ride them in the dark, regardless of how many lumens you have. I can't imagine riding legit black runs where you can't see the landings - or at least some visual reference.

-F

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,619 Posts
I’m not too crazy about riding singletrack At night. It beats not riding, but I do whatever I can to stick to daylight. And I pretty much never start a ride in the dark.

Jumps and such? No way. Maybe if the track was pretty smooth and manicured, but there is nothing like that around here, and I can’t see landings for s#!t in the dark.

Maybe its just me getting older, but trying to ride at night the way I do in the day just feels like taking a huge risk for what to me feels like very little payoff. Not only am I riding partially blind, but I am wrecking nearly completely blind.

I stick to the easier stuff at night.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,206 Posts
I’m not too crazy about riding singletrack At night. It beats not riding, but I do whatever I can to stick to daylight. And I pretty much never start a ride in the dark.

Jumps and such? No way. Maybe if the track was pretty smooth and manicured, but there is nothing like that around here, and I can’t see landings for s#!t in the dark.

Maybe its just me getting older, but trying to ride at night the way I do in the day just feels like taking a huge risk for what to me feels like very little payoff. Not only am I riding partially blind, but I am wrecking nearly completely blind.

I stick to the easier stuff at night.
I hear ya, but I have also experienced some amazing levels of focus when all I can see is what my lights illuminate. There are zero distractions. And if I do decide to haul the mail, I might even be outriding my lights** and relying more on memory - then instinctively reacting to things as I see them. That is a fine line so I don't go there very often, or usually for very long, but it is next level riding for me and very exciting and rewarding (until I run off trail, of course - memory aint so sharp any more).

-F

**(trails here are narrow and twisty - fixed-mount lights are often pointing off-trail, and looking through a turn with a helmet light is often not possible due to foliage)

·
Professional Crastinator
6,206 Posts
Funny how I found this looking for something completely unrelated. Figured I'd drop it here.

Night Ride Stuff

...and this:

-F

1 - 20 of 25 Posts