Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to see if there are any regular night ride groups in Baltimore (singletrack) that wouldn't mind another rider... Summer races are coming up fast!

Also, what is the offical word on night riding @ Patapsco and Loch Raven?

Any good night ride suggestions that end @ local brew pubs would also be welcomed...

Thanks!!!

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
VTSEAL said:
Official word is: illegal

Quite a few $75 tickets have been issued at Patapsco.

By this time of year most people are getting out in the daylight even after work, so the night riding tends to slow down. Not that I'd know anything about that...

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
VTSEAL said:
I'm looking to see if there are any regular night ride groups in Baltimore (singletrack) that wouldn't mind another rider... Summer races are coming up fast!

Any good night ride suggestions that end @ local brew pubs would also be welcomed...

Thanks!!!
The only "legal" night riding is at Wakefield with the MORE group. Use to be able to night ride there until last year.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Loch Raven seem more like a 'don't ask don't tell' policy. I've been night riding there for a few years now, with no reports of tickets. Now Avalon, yeah, thats another story.

generally there are groups heading out to the Loch from the church on Seminary on Tues and Weds nights.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any idea (just out of curiosity) what laws night riding falls under? My guess would be something to the effect of "this recreational area closed after dark" kind of regulations. I hadn't thought of the legality of night riding before now, damn now I can't plead ignorance!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Coldsnap said:
this recreational area closed after dark
ding,ding,ding. We have a winner! That's the answer as I understand it. Here's what I know about Wakefield. When I first moved here 3 yrs ago, I was told that it was legal to ride there at night. Then from what I hear, the woman who heads the Fairfax County Park Authority found out us "nasty" bikers were riding there at night and I heard she lives on the lake side of the park. So she and MORE went around and around about the issue. The results are as follows: Lake side is closed off to night riding. NO EXCEPTIONS :mad: I have heard the Fairfax Co PD have written some tickets there. The rec center side is ONLY open to night riding on Monday's, Tuesday's and Wednesday's I think. And that's ONLY with the sanctioned MORE group rides lead by a group leader. *Hold hands everyone.....look both ways before crossing the street.....no running* Ok, I'm being sarcastic there, but it does feel like we're being treated like kindergarteners by the Park Authority. BTW, this group ride thing is a TRIAL to see if night riding is going to "work out" there. I was under the impression that the lake side would be reopened if it did.

That's pretty much the policy everywhere else too I think. MORE leads night rides at Roseryville, Gambrils and Shaffers Farms. They usually have a couple different groups. Slow and fast. Come on out sometime.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
clarkin said:
Loch Raven seem more like a 'don't ask don't tell' policy. I've been night riding there for a few years now, with no reports of tickets.
Actually it's just that they are severly understaffed and the city (who owns the property) has very few people who patrol and they are responsible for Loch Raven, Pretty Boy and Liberty. With resoruces spread so thin, odds are in your favor.

·
Registered
94 Posts
riderx said:
Actually it's just that they are severly understaffed and the city (who owns the property) has very few people who patrol and they are responsible for Loch Raven, Pretty Boy and Liberty. With resoruces spread so thin, odds are in your favor.
yeah god bless Baltimore city. although I'll take those odds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't want to stray too far off topic but I would agree that the feeling I'm getting is that bikers have to align themselves with advocacy groups who go fairly softball on access issues in order to ride in a lot of areas. I would like to see some environmental studies that compare the damage to fisheries and wildlife areas by mtn bikes versus things like, unchecked erosion practices by local construction, aggricultural runoff from those "we know how to lobby" farmers, and other minor things like noise and light pollution from roadways and housing developments. Bah, don't get me started.

Anyhow, maybe later this season I'll pick up a light kit and come out for some rides. Seems like it would be pretty interesting to ride the same trails at night when they take on a whole new feeling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
come on out for one of the wakefield rides. usually there's plenty of light shed by the group. otherwise you can bum my second light kit if you want to give it a try before making the purchase.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Coldsnap said:
I don't want to stray too far off topic but I would agree that the feeling I'm getting is that bikers have to align themselves with advocacy groups who go fairly softball on access issues in order to ride in a lot of areas.
Examples? The one crashandburn brings up is an example of NOT going softball. If they did, they would have bent over and no one would be riding there at night. Instead they came up with a solution that gets their foot in the door (or wheel on the trail) and then has the option of getting more opened up in the future.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm just speaking from a semi-informed standpoint of what my impressions are of the "party line" as it were with the few groups I'm familiar with. I read stuff at/about MORE, scope out this and various other forums like this and others, and talk to other people I know who ride and it just seems like the overall strategy, not particular actions, seem fairly softball. I've been riding and keeping a pulse on access issues since I started riding in 1993 and it just seems like it's the same strategy that results in mountain biking, a huge recreation activity, as still being seen as environment-ruining, other-recreation-ruining, fringe bandits.

But then again, I'm admittedly not the greatest political mind when it comes to business and other matters. I've been referred to as "abrasive" and "direct" (used as a slight). But hey I prefer belligerant! I'll be the first to admit that I'm far from any authority on the matter. Just my outside-in two cents, armchair pundit two cents, ya know?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Night Riding is still in "trial" period

The trial ends on May 31, 2005. It was an 8 month project sponsored by MORE to prove that night riding could be conducted in a safe and responsible manner. MORE would provide nightly patrols (at least that is what I understand), but you do not necessarily have to ride on a MORE ride. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday until 10:30 PM. Here is the link: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/archives/10%2D13%2D04%2Dpkg.pdf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.