Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Weiner Dog Connoiseur
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding MTB for almost 11 years now, and when I was a kid, I rode consistently until I turned 16 and got that driver's license. The one thing I never did until last night was ride at night.

Since it was my first time riding at night, I just tooled around my local streets on my slick-tire equipped hardtail, with a set of halogen lights up front, a flasher LED in the rear, and and LED bar-end light on either side (okay, so those really weren't necessary, but I thought they were pretty cool). It was also very cold (23 degrees) so I got to try my cold weather gear, too.

I found the ride very exhilerating. I was quite impressed with the throw and brightness of the halogens. I can't imagine what the HIDs are like. It took a while for me to get used to what seemed like having no peripheral vision. It was also a challenge to "feel" what gear I was in because I couldn't tell by looking down. With a lot of the visual cues taken away by the darkness, riding became a much more sensory experience...a true melding of man and machine.

After riding, I came back in, cleaned up and slept like a baby. I can't wait to try night riding on our trails (we do have some legal night riding in Maryland).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Cool to hear. It is a total different experience riding at night. I have a 55 watt cat eye halogen I ride with on my helmet and it takes care of the periferal vision. I go on night rides every week except tonight. It is fun with lots of people. You just experienced a new form of riding. It is lots more fun once you get more peeps. Good luck with your night riding...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.