Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1137 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I will buy a used geometron longer soon, and I would like to know if it is better a fox float x prepared mojo or a fox float x2 not prepared.(or vivid air and cane creek db air).
This will be my do it all bike (downhill, bike park and all mountain)
Is it possible to put a damper in 222x70mm like the g16 to have 175 mm of travel?

best regards
nicolas

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I have a Bos Void Air on my V10C. Nice shock, seal kit and rebuild cost is lower than a X2. Unsure if Bos is still a company? Looking to try a X2
I had a void on my Ion. I didn't like it as much as the X2 I must confess, I struggled not with getting the air chamber right for me. Good shock though.
GeoMetron was designed around the X2 if that helps.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
It depend on the version whip. The used GeoMeteon if it is before the 2017 range requires longer chainstays to fit the 222 shock.
Chris P did still have some. They can be ordered From Nicolai or you can try and find the few that have been modded.
Depending on the size you want I know where there is one (frsmeset) that may be for sale with the Longer rear already installed.
The guy loves the bike but because of some specific requirements he has mainly around his riding style he wants to return to the slightly shorter chainstay and to size down to a Longer version of the same bike but not lose the advantages of the overall length and feel of the bike for him. His bike is a Longest(L) so would suit someone between 178cm and up to 190 ish cm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks the pilot.
my future geometron is 2016.
do you know the price of longer chainstay from mojo?
so a float X2 standard is better than a float X evol prepared by mojo if i understand well ( sorry i'm french)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
For the longer travel bike I would say so. A Mojo Float X is a great shock however.
I'll ask about the chainstay.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had a void on my Ion. I didn't like it as much as the X2 I must confess, I struggled not with getting the air chamber right for me. Good shock though.
GeoMetron was designed around the X2 if that helps.
X2 was vapourware when I picked up the Void. If it hadn't been for the price I likely would have gone a different route.

·
Registered
529 Posts
So for G13 no major changes beyond the fact Mojo will likely fit a longer shock and make it slacker with a headset (to put the seat angle back) (based on my discussions) neither of which Nicolai wanted to do at this stage. We discussed 83mm BB too but G16 likely to be more distance/trail oriented than the G16/GeoMetron.

Want to try it set up with a 27.5 rear wheel but geometry corrected, wanted the chain stay yoke changing to allow this and that has changed.
Talking to Nicolai right now on ordering.
If you wanted to go 29/27.5 Mixer what base would be best to start from?
Longer shocked G13 (will Nicolai do this?) or G16 with longer CS/SS?

I am getting a XL version of either.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Pilot, have you tried a coil in the Geometron? If so what are your thoughts.
I havent I'm afraid. But I am reliably informed by those who have and do that it works very well. Obviously they are more gravity focussed peeps than I.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Raschaa depends a little on your riding style/desires. You would be good on a Longest/Large or an XL.. if you feel you may want to 'play' more or mess about on the back wheel then Longest would be better for all round duties I suspect, so normal riding as well as very committed riding.
If when you ride it you will always be pushing for speed and always commited then the XL could work for you.
Both will fit in terms of cockpit but will have a slightly different feel to you as you (like me) are anheight that easily spans either size depending on preference.
I would expect you to prefer the Longest as an all rounder.

·
yet another stupid german
277 Posts
Excellent answer, thanks!
Pretty much confirms my thoughts. Seeing that I have a full-on DH bike the G-16 would replace my Ion 16 as my do-it-all bike, meaning everything from relaxed all day rides to local enduro races. I was just slightly confused because my 1st gen. Ion16 (26") in L is way to small for me and a right pia on long rides...

cheers

·
277 Posts
Hey,

just had an interesting idea... what about if I ordered an L and asked to have the longer XL chainstays? Whata ya think? ;)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I think 445mm is long enough for a Longer and you have the adjustable chainstay to 450mm if you want. I wouldn't, but it is your bike😉
You going to buy the Nicolai version or the Mojo version?

·
277 Posts
We're a >300 member gravity oriented mtb club with a sponsoring deal with Nicolai so I will obviously be ordering directly at N

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Clearly they are different as Nicolai chose not to produce the specification Mojo wanted in any of the G13, G16 or G19 models, which is of course their choice.

·
277 Posts
I really would love a full mojo built 16 but I don't have the coin for that.... and in the greater scheme of things the geolution Nics are still very forward-thinking.

101 - 120 of 1137 Posts