Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
181 - 200 of 1139 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Pilot,
I know you love the 40, and I must try it because more stiffness has to be nice - but I don't find the 26 uppers noodly. (You'll recall that my 36 is built with 26 uppers for shorter offset (34mm?) and 27.5 lowers / 180 non ebike 20mm bolt through fork).

Of course the 40 has a big offset so thats a change too - am I right (with the intended 27.5 wheel I mean)?
According the CP the shorter offset on my own fork (26" CSU) provides more stability and the need to turn the bars more, thus an easier ride when threading the bike between tight trees on singletrack. I'd say that works well.

How was the 27/29 test? On the 40's I presume?
Oh dear, more wheels to buy!

Have a good week

·
Registered
89 Posts
^Nicolai G16 is different than Mojo G16

Mojo has: Longer wheelbase, shorter seat tube length, longer CS, slacker HTA, 83mm BB width, less stack
Thats true i was only referring to the chainstay which can now take 29''ers too!

Still waiting for the tech sheets for the G16 '18 so i can get an offer for an complete G16 29" built with 36/X2 and so on!

@the_pilot How is the uphill performance of a Mojo Geometron compared to a G13?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
@tallguy it's better in my view but both climb great. The G13 would be solved with the slacker HA. I struggled a bit with lifting on the G13 on really steep stuff.
If you are definitely going 29, I'd pay the extra for custom.
Allow for the wheel lift and SA slackening without adjustment.
Just get the G16 designed for 740mm dia wheels with a 338mm BB, use a 78 SA and 62.5 HA.
Having said that it works great.
Just need the 216 in the 222 position
1 offset in the shock. 61.5 HA at that in the Nicolai version which is good, BB is approx 340mm.
You may need to put the seat forword to reset SA.

Or Mojo have some G15 specials left I think. Depends on size. Euro would help you there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
@pigglet13 Will you run a 29 or 27.5 front. And Mojo or Nicolai design?
I'd suggest targeting between 61 and 62 deg. HA
61 and under is lovely but requires more servicing of a 36 to keep it sweet. The 40 however seems much more tolerant, but sub 61 the offset and flop seem to increase as mentioned ( laser guided steering mind) as such is say a std Mojo would be spot on and Nicolai might benefit from a -1.
If 29 front neither need a headset.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@tallguy it's better in my view but both climb great. The G13 would be solved with the slacker HA. I struggled a bit with lifting on the G13 on really steep stuff.
If you are definitely going 29, I'd pay the extra for custom.
Allow for the wheel lift and SA slackening without adjustment.
Just get the G16 designed for 740mm dia wheels with a 338mm BB, use a 78 SA and 62.5 HA.
Having said that it works great.
Just need the 216 in the 222 position
1 offset in the shock. 61.5 HA at that in the Nicolai version which is good, BB is approx 340mm.
You may need to put the seat forword to reset SA.

Or Mojo have some G15 specials left I think. Depends on size. Euro would help you there..

Already wrote with Paul about the G15's left! Only size "Longest"/L and unfortunately i definitely need at least XL.

Think i'll have to wait for the techspecs for G16 '18 then (then it will fit 29ers), cause they said they can figure out a "29er G16" then and i will ask them about the optimisations you mentioned above!

·
Registered
130 Posts
@pigglet13 Will you run a 29 or 27.5 front. And Mojo or Nicolai design?
I'd suggest targeting between 61 and 62 deg. HA
61 and under is lovely but requires more servicing of a 36 to keep it sweet. The 40 however seems much more tolerant, but sub 61 the offset and flop seem to increase as mentioned ( laser guided steering mind) as such is say a std Mojo would be spot on and Nicolai might benefit from a -1.
If 29 front neither need a headset.

It's a mojo g16 running 40s and a 27.5 front wheel for the moment. The bike is a medium. I'd thought I'd probably be a large but it would have meant going to a 125mm dropper to accommodate my little legs! May run it with standard headset initially and then try a -1 for comparison. Not bothered about flop, this will be a bike for fast and steep riding.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Good to go then. What is your inside leg out of interest. Mine is 31" and I run a 150mm Transfer post with 165mm cranks and 1.5" spare on the seatpost.

·
Registered
130 Posts
30 to 31 ish. I had the 150mm dropper slammed to the collar on the medium I demo'd
Toby reckoned the large would have been too big based on my leg length. The joys of being 5.10 but with little legs. The medium certainly didn't feel overly long though.
The bike I tried had 170mm cranks but I've ordered 165s for my bike so it'll be interesting to see what difference that makes.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Hmmm. Pretty much the same size as me, 5'10, 30-31 leg. Was it a 2017 model (shorter ST) and what cranks. Std Mojo is 170min and I use 165mm, 160-165 is ideal for our height.
Also current transfer has low stack collar compared to Dos. What seat post was it. Slammed to collar is fine as long as it fits. I think you get 15mm from crank and ST. I can measure mine if you like.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bummer, that wasn't mentioned. May have got away with a large then. Ahhh well too late now.... there was a cock up with my frame which was supposed to be black yet when unpacked was raw. They've had it anodised black for me so doubt they'll take too kindly to me asking for a large now...... DOH!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
I dunno, if it was the only one Mojo had then I don't see why not, many are indifferent to the colour. Hope I've not dropped them in the muck now! ...Obviously it's a benefit of being embedded in the design process and being very anal about numbers that enables me to know this ****. I often have to remind CP of the geo.

You have nothing to lose by asking, you are the customer, the problem at the moment is getting enough frames of the right size not their colour! I also know someone interested in a frame that size (M) and ano black and 2017 so call them or let me know if you want me to have a word.
Chris wouldn't be happy if you had doubts about choosing the right frame or had made a decision without being aware of all the info, the whole ethos is to put people on the right bike and provide great service.
Of course you may prefer the M and the L could be too big but...
For clarity the current 2017 has a 460mm ST in a L and a 440 ST in M
The 2016 bikes (no adjustable chainstay and 73mm BB) the M had a 450mm ST and the L a 470mm.
3 things make a big difference, crank length, pedal depth and saddle stack. a low stack saddle can make over 10mm difference, the cranks the same and pedals 5mm.
you can see on that pic where my seat post is.
Where are you?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
what cranks were you going to use? I don't think you would regret the shorter bike, it is more manoeuvrable and easier to lift and if you are only going deep and steep it won't be a bad thing.
The HT is shorter so allows more room for adjustment with the 40 than the Longest which is pretty wide and limits adjustment unless you use the dropped crown (which I did) my old one should be at Mojo if you wanted that one (the dropped crown) you won't be trying to drive the front in the same way as if you were using it a fair bit on more moderate terrain.

181 - 200 of 1139 Posts