Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of either bikes for a while, had a test ride on the BLur LTc a couple of weeks back and the only thing I didn't like was the feedback off the VPP that I experienced. So I've started looking at the Nickel and although I haven't rode one yet, I'm wondering what you Nickel guys thought of it?

If I buy one, will I kick myself for not buying the Blur?...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Riding style? What do you need/want this bike to do? For me it was the Blur lt2a. Light Am, great ride. I loved the VPP. I think it is a great system and offers a very supple ride. The blur will be a lighter build lite AM bike where the Nickle gives you more of a AM/DH style. I like to earn my DH so a good climbing machine was what I was looking for. However I am now building up a TallBoy. Good luck

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just J said:
the only thing I didn't like was the feedback off the VPP that I experienced.
It so so little how do you experience that, if was the VPP1 but the VPP2 :eek: two rides and you forget that ;)

The Blur is more for mountains that have a lot followed ups and downs, long rides. The Nickel is better for long climbs (where you can use the propedal on Fox) and followed for long down hills, is a better descender, but the Blur is a lot better package.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My riding style is a bit of everything, I have been riding SS for years and wont be giving up on that either, but obviously my FS bike will have gears and I'd like something that is a bit of an all rounder. Likes to climb and loves to play that kind of thing... :)

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Just J said:
My riding style is a bit of everything, I have been riding SS for years and wont be giving up on that either, but obviously my FS bike will have gears and I'd like something that is a bit of an all rounder. Likes to climb and loves to play that kind of thing... :)
Since you are used to riding a SS most of the time, any FS rig you get on is gonna feel funny....it is just something you are gonna have to re-adjust to.

I have been riding my Tallboy for the last year and a half, and built up a SS in December that I have been riding about 80% of the time. It does take a litttle bit to get used to gears and FS when i get back on it, but it is still a great ride.

The VPP2 bikes seem to pedal a bit better in the middle ring.....which, again...if you are used to a SS, you will most likely not spend much time in the 22t ring.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very good points mtnbikej, I was actually saying the very same thing regarding any suspension feeling funny to me nowadays, although I have owned a lot of FS bikes, I haven't had one for about 5 years now!

Time to readjust I think!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
VPP2 is one of the better designs out there. You should really give the Blur a few more try. Nickel is a mimic of the the Blur in suspension, trying to accomplish the same thing. Infact, if you ask me, I much rather go to DW link or Giant's Manestro??? design before I want to try a APP.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I am not sure what your pricepoint is, but have you test rode a Tallboy? A lot of people have converted from their Blur LTs and XCs to the Tallboy and don't regret it. I have not personally rode the Nickel, but in my eyes it seems to want to accomplish what the LT does but at a lower pricepoint. I don't think it is quite the same bike because the VPP2 like others have mentioned is quite good. If you are willing to wait another 6mo. or so, Santa Cruz is suppose to be releasing 2 more frames along w/ the carbon hardtail 29er mentioned. It might be an APP 29er w/ more of a trail setup and something else in the trail mix.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi dub

I could stretch to a Tallboy, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the 29r thing at the moment. I have a Dillinger myself.

Thanks for your advice though, it is all very much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I rode the Nickel today and I loved it, it's everything I'm looking for in my next FS bike. It climbs well, so much so that I climbed at every opportunity today, it is very active over all terrain yet it didn't bob. I rode much faster than I usually ride, didn't get off to push once and felt so much more confident that I was clearing sections that usually have me getting off to walk!

I personally prefer the Nickel to the Blur LTc that I rode a month ago, you don't get any of the pedal feedback that the VPP bikes seemed to give, just enough lovely buttery travel where you need it. I think my mind is set, I want a Nickel! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same choice last summer between a Blur and the Nickel. Both are great bikes, but I ended up with a Nickel. I absolutely love the Nickel, and would buy the same bike again now without a second thought. I ride a lot of very technical singletrack with lots of climbing and decending. If you get a Nickel I bet you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Switched from my 09 Heckler to a New Blur LT2 aluminum. First ride a couple days ago. F'ing sick! Way better. Haven't ridden the Nickel, but good lord you won't be disappointed with a Blur. I don't think SC makes a bad bike. Blur has had a hell of a run though, years and years of proven versions and a steady evolution of design. . .

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I test rode the Blur LTc but actually preferred the way the Nickel felt to me, not saying that the Nickel is the better bike, but it's certainly better for me! :)

I can't wait, I put my deposit down earlier today, it's going to be white with Fox 32 Talas Terralogic 140's :)

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is the setup I am currently building, I wanted to keep things fairly light so this should keep things below 29lbs based on the weight of the build without the seat post :)

Frame Santa Cruz Nickel
Fork Fox 32 Talas FIT Terralogic 140/120
Handlebar Race Face Sixc
Stem Race Face Turbine 70mm
Grips Race Face Sniper Lock On blue
Headset Hope Taper Pick n Mix
Brakes Formula R1
Hub HOPE HOOPS PRO 2 EVO SP with Stans Crest Rims & NoTubes Kit
Rims
Spokes
Tyres Panaracer CG 2.1
Saddle SDG Fly Ti
Seat Post Rockshox Reverb
Cransket Shimano XT
Bottom Bracket Shimano XT
Chain Shimano XT
Rear Mech Shimano XT
Front Mech Shimano XT
Shifters Shimano XT
Cassette Shimano XT
Skewers Hope Rear
Seat QR Santa Cruz
Pedals Crank Brothers Acid

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Just J said:
This is the setup I am currently building, I wanted to keep things fairly light so this should keep things below 29lbs based on the weight of the build without the seat post :)

Frame Santa Cruz Nickel
Fork Fox 32 Talas FIT Terralogic 140/120
Handlebar Race Face Sixc
Stem Race Face Turbine 70mm
Grips Race Face Sniper Lock On blue
Headset Hope Taper Pick n Mix
Brakes Formula R1
Hub HOPE HOOPS PRO 2 EVO SP with Stans Crest Rims & NoTubes Kit
Rims
Spokes
Tyres Panaracer CG 2.1
Saddle SDG Fly Ti
Seat Post Rockshox Reverb
Cransket Shimano XT
Bottom Bracket Shimano XT
Chain Shimano XT
Rear Mech Shimano XT
Front Mech Shimano XT
Shifters Shimano XT
Cassette Shimano XT
Skewers Hope Rear
Seat QR Santa Cruz
Pedals Crank Brothers Acid
Why such skinny little tires? And for a "weight oriented" build, why the TALAS over a Float?

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OO7 said:
Why such skinny little tires? And for a "weight oriented" build, why the TALAS over a Float?
The tyres are just being borrowed off one of my other bikes, whilst I decide what to put on the Nickel, whilst the Talas is only .25lbs (or there abouts) heavier than the Float yet I wanted the Talas travel adjustability and the Terralogic platform which I run on my F120's on my 1x9er.

I wouldn't really say it was that "weight oriented" as there are a lot of other places I could have gone lighter (the frame for a start!) but I wanted to keep things enjoyable on long day rides. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks very good combination!!
I got my Nickel about Xmas time and I've been very pleased to it. It's very stable, somehow "predectible" to downhill and also noticed riding a lot faster than my previous XC hardtail.
Go for a good tires; I tried as a first Continental MK 2.1 but they were not the ones I was looking for; rolling fine but not good ones in cornering.
Then changed to WTB Weirwolf 2.3 they are excellent!!! Good grip at downhill and pedalling uphill, also in snow (!!) and they are decent rollers.
As a next I'll go for UST Weirwolfs and WTB TCS wheels, just to see how they are doing with Nickel and my favourite trails.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.