Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow mountain bikers. I have got a question that the good folks at Niterider answered, but like all corporations their only goal is to make more cash. Because of this need to acquire more bank to satisfy the trophy wife and to get little Johnny more crap he won't play with, I was not satisfied with the answer I recieved. I currently own a Niterider Cyclone that uses a nickel metal hydride battery. I really desire the runtime of the new Moab that uses a lithium ion battery. Is there anyway I could just buy the Moab battery and use it with my Cyclone lamp? I assume the internals of the lamps are complelety different, but is it possible to rewire it? Thanks to all that take the time to help!

·
Registered
822 Posts
LamarckianDeath said:
Hello fellow mountain bikers. I have got a question that the good folks at Niterider answered, but like all corporations their only goal is to make more cash. Because of this need to acquire more bank to satisfy the trophy wife and to get little Johnny more crap he won't play with, I was not satisfied with the answer I recieved. I currently own a Niterider Cyclone that uses a nickel metal hydride battery. I really desire the runtime of the new Moab that uses a lithium ion battery. Is there anyway I could just buy the Moab battery and use it with my Cyclone lamp? I assume the internals of the lamps are complelety different, but is it possible to rewire it? Thanks to all that take the time to help!
I'm not sure if this helps or not but the two things to look at would be if the wire connection for both batteries is the same. I assume they would be, but the bigger issue is that if you buy the battery you also need to buy or build a charger for it as your NiMh charger won't work with Lithium Ion.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
it's all about voltages, watch your voltages! other than that, nothing is different at all. the running time of a battery is about amp-hours, not the material it is made of.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't use the Moab's Li-Ion battery with your light.

The Moab uses a 7.2 A, 11.1V Lithium Ion Pack.
Your Cyclone has a 4 A, 13.2V NiMh pack. You could probably run a Li-Ion 7.2A, 14.8V pack, such as the one below, with no problems... and it might be a little brighter than a Moab:) It should get you about 8hrs runtime on hi power! Those lights use a regulator, so bumping up to the 14.8v should not harm your light.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2218
or here is a 7.2A, 11.1V Li-Ion + charger for $100. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2217

You'll probably have to reuse the connector from your old pack or come up with an adaptor of sorts.

Just curious. What did the kind folks at Niterider tell you when you asked about purchasing a Li-Ion battery? How much do they want for the Moab Li-Ion?

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
one thing to consider when switching to lithium, its only good for between 300-400 charges, then dead, no warning just dead and the li. batteries arent cheap. Theu also like to be stored at about 70% capacity, not fully charged AND they really dont like being completely discharged. I have a light & motion arc hid and the replacement battery is around $200 FYI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.