637 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
gsomtb said:
I put these w/ BB7s on my ss.......the awesome-ness is so awesome I'm considering swapping my Juicy 7s on my 5.5 for these....no joke.
Paul's also.....
I'm using the Ultimates too with my BB7's. Could agree more and worth every penny. Awesome levers. With the sealed bearing the lever action is just so smooth!

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
General Hickey said:
Jesus tapdancing christ, $239 for a pair of brake levers. And what, say, do these levers have that justifiys the $210 over the Speed Dial 7?
The last 5-6 pairs of brand new Avid Speed Dial Ultimates on eBay have sold for $102 - $136. So it seems the going rate of what the market will pay for these right now is quite a bit less than the MSRP. Paul Love Levers go for $95 - $99 brand new on eBay in the auctions.

The other two chic and light levers that work with mechanical disc brakes are the KCNC ($150 new) and the Extralite Ultralevers ($240). Here are the "tuned with lighter levers" Extralites:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
General Hickey said:
Jesus tapdancing christ, $239 for a pair of brake levers. And what, say, do these levers have that justifiys the $210 over the Speed Dial 7?
I have 1 bike with Ultimate levers and BB7, and another with Speed Dial 7 levers and BB7. Maybe they are not set up exactly the same, but my Speed Dials feel better and rattle a lot less than the Ultimates. I won't ever buy another set.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Trade?

Wish I Were Riding said:
I have 1 bike with Ultimate levers and BB7, and another with Speed Dial 7 levers and BB7. Maybe they are not set up exactly the same, but my Speed Dials feel better and rattle a lot less than the Ultimates. I won't ever buy another set.
I have a set of 7s I'll trade u for the ultis....I'll pay shipping both ways.....:thumbsup:

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
gsomtb said:
which do you prefer: thse or the Paul's?
If u've tried the avid ultis, which of the 3?

Give us the run down on them!!!!!
First of all, I don't own all of those. I just provided some pictures. I use the Avid Speed Dial Ti and the Avid Speed Dial Ultimates - both great levers in my opinion with the Avid mechanical disc brakes. Why? You have the return springs on the levers as well as the calipers themselves allowing you to adjust the return to dial in a perfect feel for you. Heck, you can clog your housing with gunk, use cheap housing, etc... and still get a good rate of return because of this. The Ultimates from Avid are amazing levers. Probably the single best lever out there for the Avid mechanical disc brakes. Light, adjustable and so smooth. As I said above, going rate seems to be in the low $100's on eBay for buying them new these days.

Levers like the Paul Love, Extralite, KCNC do not have the return spring, but they still work great with the Avid mechanicals because the spring return on the caliper itself is so strong it can be adjusted to return the cable (thus, the lever) to the start position quite well. Everything I have read from users of the lighter Paul, Extralite and KCNC is that they all work well with the Avid disc brakes. If I was running any of those, I would make sure I was running some nice compressionless Ripcord housing or Alligator iLinks housing to have a smooth operation all set up. If weight is a concern to you, then the lighter levers can allow you to get a set up that is competitive with hydraulic brakes.

I have 2 sets of the type N caliper which weighs 138g compared to the BB7 later version which weighs 155g.

Looking at real weights for a front brake [weight includes lever, lever bolts, hose, fluid, caliper, pads but no adapter, no caliper bolts, no rotor, no rotor bolts]:

Avid Juicy 7: 266g
Avid Elixir R: 246g
Avid Elixir CR: 250g
Avid Juicy Ultimate: 219g (with trimmed housing length)
Avid BB7 (type N)/Avid Ultimate levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 267g
Avid BB7 (type N)/Paul Love levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 251g
Avid BB7 (type N)/Extralite Ultra levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 225g
Avid BB7 (type N)/KCNC levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 214g

If running the current BB7's - add 13 to 17g for the above over the 2nd Generation Type N (the lightest ever caliper from the Avid mechanical disc to date) to get your "competitive weight"

If you go a bit deeper with $$$, you can change out the bolts to Ti, get Windcutter or Airotors and dial in a very competitive weight wise set up with the BB7's. But as you can see, if you pony up for the right levers and housing - you can be right at or near the Juicy Ultimate weight using the mechanical discs. Pretty cool and that's where I'm headed...

BB

·
Registered
637 Posts
wow

BruceBrown said:
First of all, I don't own all of those. I just provided some pictures. I use the Avid Speed Dial Ti and the Avid Speed Dial Ultimates - both great levers in my opinion with the Avid mechanical disc brakes. Why? You have the return springs on the levers as well as the calipers themselves allowing you to adjust the return to dial in a perfect feel for you. Heck, you can clog your housing with gunk, use cheap housing, etc... and still get a good rate of return because of this. The Ultimates from Avid are amazing levers. Probably the single best lever out there for the Avid mechanical disc brakes. Light, adjustable and so smooth. As I said above, going rate seems to be in the low $100's on eBay for buying them new these days.

Levers like the Paul Love, Extralite, KCNC do not have the return spring, but they still work great with the Avid mechanicals because the spring return on the caliper itself is so strong it can be adjusted to return the cable (thus, the lever) to the start position quite well. Everything I have read from users of the lighter Paul, Extralite and KCNC is that they all work well with the Avid disc brakes. If I was running any of those, I would make sure I was running some nice compressionless Ripcord housing or Alligator iLinks housing to have a smooth operation all set up. If weight is a concern to you, then the lighter levers can allow you to get a set up that is competitive with hydraulic brakes.

I have 2 sets of the type N caliper which weighs 138g compared to the BB7 later version which weighs 155g.

Looking at real weights for a front brake [weight includes lever, lever bolts, hose, fluid, caliper, pads but no adapter, no caliper bolts, no rotor, no rotor bolts]:

Avid Juicy 7: 266g
Avid Elixir R: 246g
Avid Elixir CR: 250g
Avid Juicy Ultimate: 219g (with trimmed housing length)
Avid BB7 (type N)/Avid Ultimate levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 267g
Avid BB7 (type N)/Paul Love levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 251g
Avid BB7 (type N)/Extralite Ultra levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 225g
Avid BB7 (type N)/KCNC levers/PowerCordz cable/iLink housing/liner: 214g

If running the current BB7's - add 13 to 17g for the above over the 2nd Generation Type N (the lightest ever caliper from the Avid mechanical disc to date) to get your "competitive weight"

If you go a bit deeper with $$$, you can change out the bolts to Ti, get Windcutter or Airotors and dial in a very competitive weight wise set up with the BB7's. But as you can see, if you pony up for the right levers and housing - you can be right at or near the Juicy Ultimate weight using the mechanical discs. Pretty cool and that's where I'm headed...

BB
Now that's a rundown.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Avid Speed Dial Ti and the Avid Speed Dial Ultimates - both great levers in my opinion with the Avid mechanical disc brakes. Why? You have the return springs on the levers as well as the calipers themselves allowing you to adjust the return to dial in a perfect feel for you. Heck, you can clog your housing with gunk, use cheap housing, etc... and still get a good rate of return because of this. The Ultimates from Avid are amazing levers. Probably the single best lever out there for the Avid mechanical disc brakes. Light, adjustable and so smooth.
Bruce, How do you adjust the return spring on the Ultimate levers? I don't know if I know about this, I truly don't like my Ultimates compared to my regular 7's. Maybe I just need to understand and adjust them better (although I think I have).
:confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.