Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what are some higher-end geared bikes that have been converted to SS? Glad you did it? What was your SS build?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Watchu got in the garage ?

Clobber said:
Just curious what are some higher-end geared bikes that have been converted to SS? Glad you did it? What was your SS build?
I converted an old Klein Rascal as my first SS. My next bike was a Lynskey TI SS built from the frame up extra light to climb with. How bout a nice 2011 specialized carbon SS frame to start with and maybe some ztr wheels with dt swiss 240 ss centerlock hubs and.......u get the picture.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
ancient rascal said:
My next bike was a Lynskey TI SS built from the frame up extra light to climb with. How bout a nice 2011 specialized carbon SS frame to start with and maybe some ztr wheels with dt swiss 240 ss centerlock hubs and.......u get the picture.
how does starting with a dedicated ss frame equate to converting a geared bike? :confused:

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
eastcoaststeve said:
Not sure if you consider this "nice" as all my bikes are on the old side...
Same here. Both my frames were high end in their day, but one is 12 years old, and the other one is 16 years old.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I converted a 2004 GF Tassajara. It turned out very well. I also went all rigid and it climbs like a goat. I love passing up the high-end geared bikes on the hills. I just wave as I pass the fat guys huffing-and-puffing up the hills.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It might not be high end. 2008 Mamasita with a White Industries eno eccentric hub. I absolutely love it. I would definitely use both again.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
1SPD said:
I like the black one!!!!!!^^^^
It's actually a very dark blue and I like it a lot also!! It's a sub 20lb bike with lots of little titanium goodies and the fork was custom made for the bike by Rocklobster.

Attachments

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
i did a superfly. was about 20lbs as pictured (xl).

used the yess etr-b, which imho is the best geared to ss solution out there.

Photobucket
</a>

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
Just finished but not ridden yet:

Build is a Wheelsmith SSK-1 spacer kit, Niner 19T cog, 32T Hellore Ti ring and a modified Rollenlager.

Glad I did it: Yes, it looks so much cleaner with no gears. Once the weather inproves I'll see if it rides as nice as it looks.

·
up n over
407 Posts
Wish I wasn't on a phone....
I've got a 96 breezer storm with an amp fork..
pics before it was done in a thread I started a while ago..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mike A. said:
94 Cinder Cone with some Paul comp horizontals....best bike i've ever ridden. 650b fore 26 aft. saweeeet!
Thats a beautiful piece you got there :thumbsup:

if you dont mind me asking, but was it pricey to get the dropouts installed?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts