Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the wife into mtb, and was originally thinking Kingdom Trails...

She came up with this on her own: http://www.thebalsams.com/ (Seems pricey, but looks really nice.)

The thing is, I need to take her to a nice place so she will enjoy herself if the whole mtb thing doesn't work out. Plus, I'd like to get out for a few training rides on my own, so a spa, tennis instruction, etc. would be helpful.

What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
A few things...does she already ride? Has she been on any trails at all? If she hasn't been on any single track and she isn't into anything considered even remotely extreme then taking her to Kingdom Trails (or pretty much most any northern New England single track) might not only dash your hopes of a bike riding wife, but could hurt her physically.

Keep it simple and keep it fun...for her, not you.

I'll be going to the Balsams in about 3 weeks myself and haven't decided on whether to bring the bikes. My wife and I both ride dirt and have traveled all over the eastern seaboard riding. We started on pretty safe dirt/gravel roads in Acadia National Park and she had a blast. She had a bike properly fitted to start so she was comfortable. Then we rode at her pace.

We then took a lesson on riding logs and sand and such. This gave her more confidence to try different trails and it's been a real hoot since then.

Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know that you mentioned Vermont or New Hampshire, but for some new to riding, Acadia National Park, Maine, might be an option, as fred3 mentioned. The riding is mostly on carriage roads, quite easy and mostly flat. The national park is beautiful and Bar Harbor has things to see and do; whale watching tours, shops, restaurants, and there is a range of places to stay from camping in the park to resorts, hotels, B&Bs, etc. It probably comes down to her level of riding and what you are looking for.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
I've met with the folks from The Balsams at last year's VMBA convention in Stowe. From what i remember, they have mountain biking... but it's mostly doubletrack riding that's easy and mellow. They want to kick it up a notch eventually... but for now, it's mellow doubletrack from cross-country skiing.

Hope this helps!

·
cranktankerous Mainer
610 Posts
Another vote for Mount Desert Island and Acadia National park in Maine. I’m actually going up there tomorrow for a long weekend and zipping around on the carriage roads. Check back next week and I’ll have a little trip report and pictures, but it is really nice up there with plenty of other things to do.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Toddski said:
Another vote for Mount Desert Island and Acadia National park in Maine. I'm actually going up there tomorrow for a long weekend and zipping around on the carriage roads. Check back next week and I'll have a little trip report and pictures, but it is really nice up there with plenty of other things to do.
Those carriage roads are a blast....some of the most scenic areas of the park!
Have a great time...Don't forget to climb Cadillac!!

https://bp0.blogger.com/_ncOIXLCXpkg/SFUfRkInu8I/AAAAAAAABMc/pleti1swGWE/s1600-h/acadia_bike.JPG

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recommend Mont Tremblant in Quebec. My wife and I went up there a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome. In addition to everything else Tremblant has to offer (hiking, shopping, food, etc.), they have a well established system of single track that you can ride right out of the village. Much of the single track -- which ranges in difficulty from beginner to expert (including the Canada Cup XC course) parallels or can be accessed from paved rec paths or golf course cart paths. Everything is "signed" and there are maps available. The guys at Cyber Cycle -- where we had breakfast two days in a row (great coffee) -- were also very helpful and friendly.

My wife had not been on a mountain bike in 10 years. She rode some beginner and intermediate single track at Tremblant on her fully rigid Trek 970 and then just jumped on the paved rec path when she had had enough. We rode together two days in a row, watched the Canda Cup XC and Downhill races (which were coincidently occuring at the same time we were up there), and within two weeks of returning home to VT we picked up her first full suspension mtb. Last weekend we rode together at KT for the first time (Darling Hill side). Now she's asking me when we can get out and ride again . . .

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
If Tremblant is an option then go for it!

Trails are "kind-of" singletrack... but on a doubletrack backbone... Most of it is pretty wide and welle signed. The map re-surfaced last year after the local club worked with Tremblant to bring back mountain biking as an official leisure activity in the village. Sceneray is pretty good also when you're overlooking the valley and golf courses. There are a few nice pine needles trails that are pretty fun.

Unfortunately, it's a bit far... and that's why i visit this place in late november, early december when there is an inch of snow on the ground and that nothing else is available... Check on youtube...

And since Tremblant is Mickey-Mouse town version 2.0, there is tons of attractions and shops for more then one day! (sorry, i just don't like the village...)

·
Registered
338 Posts
My gf maybe the excpetion.

She took me to the kingdom last weekend to go camping and biking!!! It was her first time mtbing. We did a nice loop. double track, then some single, and she wanted to do harder so we did some what i thought was some gnarly single track for a beginner. She did GREAT. Had a huge smile on her face.

She picked up snowboarding this winter on the frist day, and she got up on her second try wakeboarding. She is a fast learner.

She really enjoyed the kingdom, since the place is all about biking.

If your wife is a quick learner she might have fun there. I dont know if there is a spa there, there were a few mud baths on the trail tho :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.