1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have your attention... ;)

A while ago I posted about making your own indoor storage rack:
DIY Storage Rack

Well...I was bored this evening & around 9:00 pm I did some measuring, drew up a quick sketch in Autocad & hit Home Depot for supplies.

Im not a carpenter by any means, but I think it came out well (considering all I used was a hand saw & drill) & serves it's purpose (I live in an apt, so I wanted to avoid damaging the walls), plus it only cost me about $30 (hooks, 2x4's, screws & saw). .

Around 12:00 I was all finished, cleaned up & bikes hung. Right now it has my Haro, wifes Trek, my 91' Schwinn KOM S-7 (SS project), 91' Cannondale R400 & an extra hook for a Steelhead which is on the way.

Here's a few pics:

Mark

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
Nice looking rack. I see that you even had time to slap some stickers on it to spice it up. :cool:

·
kneecap
1,639 Posts
Do you live in munchkin land? Either those are really long bikes, or you got a really low ceiling. Nice construction tho, any problems with the bikes hanging on the hooks protruding "out" instead of down from the ceiling?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kneecap said:
Do you live in munchkin land? Either those are really long bikes, or you got a really low ceiling. Nice construction tho, any problems with the bikes hanging on the hooks protruding "out" instead of down from the ceiling?
LOL! Yeah it's down in the basement, low ceilings & even lower pipes! Don't know how many times I've hit my head.

No problems using the hooks in the horizontal position, although they're rated for much less weight this way, I think it's maybe 40 lbs compared to 70 or more in a hanging position.

Thx for the compliments everybody, I like how it turned out...simple, but effective. I think I may add a side piece though to hang some extra stuff on.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Nice job

One thing I would've done differently tho' is the lower angled 2x4's. Instead of bolting them to the side I would have bolted them to the front--stronger support that way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
neveride said:
One thing I would've done differently tho' is the lower angled 2x4's. Instead of bolting them to the side I would have bolted them to the front--stronger support that way.
Agreed. I wouldve liked to have done exactly that, but after cutting all the 2x4's by hand I wasn't up to cutting the angle needed to put them on the inside of the leg. Had I been able to use a table-saw that would definitely be the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts