Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
My other ride is your mom
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we tend to report only on bad behavior (a la...."if it bleeds, it leads); I'd like to start a thread to perhaps counter the perception that there's lots of bad seeds out there. As others have noticed...good behavior goes unreported generally with the focus being on the bad.

How about folks post up some of the nicer things folks have encountered while riding recently?

I can start with this one: I was out exploring NE of Pass Mountain a few weeks ago when I saw a two equestrians heading up a hill towards me. I stopped and pulled off so I could hit the descent in one piece after they passed. To my surprise, they detoured around me in a small drainage to get out of my way. When I commented to them that I had pulled off for them, they replied back, "I know, but you looked like you were having fun, so we got out of your way". Good Days were exchanged and we went on our way.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
Since we tend to report only on bad behavior (a la...."if it bleeds, it leads); I'd like to start a thread to perhaps counter the perception that there's lots of bad seeds out there. As others have noticed...good behavior goes unreported generally with the focus being on the bad.

How about folks post up some of the nicer things folks have encountered while riding recently?

I can start with this one: I was out exploring NE of Pass Mountain a few weeks ago when I saw a two equestrians heading up a hill towards me. I stopped and pulled off so I could hit the descent in one piece after they passed. To my surprise, they detoured around me in a small drainage to get out of my way. When I commented to them that I had pulled off for them, they replied back, "I know, but you looked like you were having fun, so we got out of your way". Good Days were exchanged and we went on our way.
Shoot, you stole my thunder. I have a similar story.

I encountered a horseback rider two weeks ago who seemed a bit perturbed that we were both riding on a fairly uncommon trail. She didn't do anything rude, but just had this sour look on her face. So I just assumed she was grumpy.

I saw her again last week off in the distance, and decided to avoid her, as I didn't want any confrontations. Unfortunately, later in my ride our paths did indeed cross--me heading up hill, she coming down a fairly wide trail. As I always do with horses, I stopped to let her pass. However, as she passed me, she said "oh, I was going to pull over. I know how hard it is to get started again going uphill." I thought that was really cool, and I felt kind of like a dick for even thinking she might not like bikers.

·
AKA shitbird
2,339 Posts
Good idea! I'll play.

Just last week I was coming down National and came to a stop at the top of the waterfall because a few hikers were at the bottom. They told me to go ahead and after I came down the waterfall I thanked the hikers and one of them asked if would mind waiting a minute and roll down the WF again. He wanted the rest of the hiking group to catch up so they could watch me. Of course my ego couldn't resist the spotlight. Somewhere out there lives a group of 40-50 something year old hikers with pictures and video of the waterfall from every angle imaginable. They seemed to really get a kick out of watching someone ride that. It was my oddly cool psuedo celebrity moment.

·
Master Gardener
1,343 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
That's the funny thing. Here in Prescott (and everywhere I've ridden), all of my on-trail encounters with others are like this. I don't recall off-hand ever having an unpleasant exchange with someone. Maybe a sour look a few times. 100% of the trail users in Prescott are friendly. To me, anyway. May have more than a little to do with the fact that we try to be really friendly to anyone we come across.

Except Notch Johnson. I can't stand that guy.

EDIT: I will relate one story. One that refutes the stereotypes of both Racers and of people from Phoenix. Last year at Dawn to Dusk I got a really good start and reached the backside of the course in 10-15th place, then flatted. I was totally unprepared and spent 30 minutes flailing, covered in Slime, trying to get going again. I'll be damned if 2 out of 3 racers that passed me didn't ask if they could stop and help. :thumbsup:

·
No Clue Crew
7,779 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It may wither away while the negative posts fill up with pseudo-intellectuals and Internet toughguys. I swear, if guys were half as bad-arse in person as they make themselves out to be online, my life would be much more fun.

That said, my experiences on trails in this state have been, almost without fail, positive. The vast, vast majority of people (hikers, bikers, equestrians, etc) I've passed or interacted with on the trails have been friendly or, at the very least, neutral. That's all I can really ask for.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,224 Posts
I'm not riding with Maad anymore, its like the effin' Make-A-Wish Foundation. someone gets a sniffle, he's there with an unsolicited herbal tea. Someone gets a scrape, he's dressing up like a Naughty Nurse and handing out oxycotin. A little sand on the trail and he's pulling out tools and rakes and avy gear. You cant make any mileage cause he stops to pick up trash, help seniors across the double-track, and bring fluffy bunnies back to their fluffy bunny mommas. I swear you get him and Chongo in a room together and Satan is pulling his hair out and taking up golf. I'm going retro-grouch spitting on people just so Maad can get his karma points off my wheel. Represent Iggles Fans - we are the world's biggest dooshes and proud of it!!!

nicest thing that happened to me was when I blew out all my tubes near Saguaro Lake, and a couple cool folks let me throw my roadie in their boat and gave my lycra-wearing butt a ride back to my front door. When I got in the car they had the Proclaimers "500 Miles" playing, which had come on my MP3 player just minutes before.

·
A plethora of pinatas
1,261 Posts
Riding T100 area recently and I bumped into skinny-tire. We chatted about a few things (ultimate frisbee, home remolding, family, bikes, ect) and then went on our way. Nice Encounter!

During the 24hr of Fury event, I came across another ride on the side of the trail trying to fix a flat. I asked if he had what he needed and he asked for assistance. I helped him get his tire changed and then went on to finish my lap. Later in the day, that rider came by our camp area to seek me out and say "thanks". Nice Encounter!

During my commute home after work one day, I am in the bike lane and stopped at stop light. I glance over at the car next to me and notice that the passenger is "servicing" the driver!! Very Nice Encounter!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have several good Samaritan stories...

When I first started riding PMP, I got off T100 one evening to explore some side trails. I got turned around, ended up in some parking lot that to this day I haven't been able to find again, and it had gotten too dark to ride back. I figured I would ride the roads back to my car, so I asked 3 women who were finishing up a walk for directions. They told me to take my wheels off my bike, throw it in their trunk, and they gave me a ride back to my car.

Another time I was riding T100, I came out of the horse tunnel under Cave Creek too fast. Well, there's usually a bit of sand on that concrete platform, so I slid trying to make that turn and busted my rump. An older couple hiking T100 saw me bust it and came running over to help out. I was so worried about my bike and looking it over to make sure I didn't bend a rotor or something that I didn't notice the blood gushing down my leg. This couple insisted that I set my bike down, pulled out a first aid kit, and bandaged up my leg.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Velokid1 said:

"Except Notch Johnson. I can't stand that guy."

He is definitely one of the more unpleasant people I have ever encountered! Never smiles, never has anything nice to say about anyone or anything! Oops, I forgot, Maad wanted a "feel good" thread, sorry dude!:rolleyes:

PS, anyone who knows NJ, knows we're BS'n ya! One of the coolest peeps in these here parts. Since moving up here (preskitt), I can only remember one or two adverse situations on the trail. I wasn't there, but another Preskitt colleague tells a tale of riding up 305 one fine day to interrupt a couple doin the nasty just off the trail! And I ain't talkin sodomy gulch nasty either:thumbsup: I guess that would be considered a nice encounter while riding:D

·
Team Tortuga
247 Posts
I really enjoy bumping into the "stewards"/bike patrol on SOMO. I always have good chats with them and I think it is cool what they are doing.

I also have bumped into Kelstr on National and rode with him for a bit, again a top notch person.

Blatant and Lethal were kind enough to let me tag along on a National ride once. Really cool guys and I happen to witness a Jedi front wheelie that lasted 10' at the end of the waterfall by one of them.

Durt Gurl and Co. - you guys/gals are awesome! They are the perfect example of true MTB spirit!

Harv and the Thur Nite gang - You guys rock! Thanks for letting me tag along with you XC racers on your rec night!

Cholla - Eatdrinkride - SurfnDave - Kortface - you guys were cool at PM. Thanks for waiting for me at the end of the climbs. Let me know I still have a lot of work to do physically.

All the people who have stopped and asked if I was OK even when the only thing wrong was a total lack of oxygen (apparently a lil man follows me around and steals it out of the air) - Thanks!

And all those who have offered their own supplies and aid - Thanks!

I ride because I like Mtn Biking and enjoy the people I meet and where the trails take me.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,972 Posts
ShortBusJames - The man is a saint, but is responsible for the new addiction of many, so maybe he is just like a really jolly drug dealer........

·
I love bike!
1,152 Posts
Cool thread...I'll play.

Couple months ago I decided to ride at the night ride out at the MMP Comp loops. Didn't go with anyone and didn't really know anyone going. I have to say that riding at night is a blast but to me is a little bit unnerving when you're by yourself. When I got there I noticed CoyoteKis who I'd met before along with WaltAZ. I was a little bit tentative as I'm a bit on the shy side but I approached them anyways to ask if I could join them on their ride. Without hesitation they welcomed me and even though were training for a 24hr race said they'd wait for me if too far ahead. I kinda thought to myself that I might be getting into something that would be too tough for me as my fitness level isn't the greatest. I decided to go anyways though since I didn't want to seem like a puss. Sure enough they went pretty fast for me but the whole way encouraged me to do my best and I was able to keep up for the most part. Took a few quick breaks and had some great conversation too. Fastest and funnest time I've ever had on that loop :D

So thanks again to Dee and Walt for letting me join you guys. By the way...you guys are freaking hilarious :lol:

·
aka Diesel
1,246 Posts
dsittman said:
Cool thread...I'll play.

Couple months ago I decided to ride at the night ride out at the MMP Comp loops. Didn't go with anyone and didn't really know anyone going. I have to say that riding at night is a blast but to me is a little bit unnerving when you're by yourself. When I got there I noticed CoyoteKis who I'd met before along with WaltAZ. I was a little bit tentative as I'm a bit on the shy side but I approached them anyways to ask if I could join them on their ride. Without hesitation they welcomed me and even though were training for a 24hr race said they'd wait for me if too far ahead. I kinda thought to myself that I might be getting into something that would be too tough for me as my fitness level isn't the greatest. I decided to go anyways though since I didn't want to seem like a puss. Sure enough they went pretty fast for me but the whole way encouraged me to do my best and I was able to keep up for the most part. Took a few quick breaks and had some great conversation too. Fastest and funnest time I've ever had on that loop :D

So thanks again to Dee and Walt for letting me join you guys. By the way...you guys are freaking hilarious :lol:
Wow!

This post just totally made my green little Grinch heart grow a few sizes. :) Thank you, Dave, for such a totally cool shout-out.

btw... We were absolutely happy you came up and said hi, and to have you along for that loop. Do not sell yourself short; you held your own and stayed right with us (remember how I kept asking if you wanted to pass me? lol)... you made the loop even more of a good time, and as always, it is lots of fun to get to know the people behind the names and online persona. Thank you, again, for such a nice post. Made my day when Walt showed me on his blackberry during lunch. (My phone is too ghetto- I don't get online access :D) Looking forward to riding with you again soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
dsittman said:
Cool thread...I'll play.

I second this...I haven't ridden with CoyoteKis yet, but did meet her at the "Race Across The Sky" movie. She greeted me like she had known me for years, she has a great spirit. I haven't met Walt yet, but anyone who spends their free time organizing group rides for the rest of us to enjoy is a great guy in my book. If I get in better shape I hope to meet him on the Quad ride next month. :thumbsup:

·
How do I do that?
561 Posts
Terry probably won't remember this but I think it's worth mentioning:)

Several months ago, at right about the 2nd or 3rd month of riding, I bumped into Terry(tjkm(?) and his friend on T100. We said our hello's as I caught my breath, chatted and simply said good bye as I rode off. I bumped into them again at Dreamy Draw when I was looking at the map looking for another way back east. They told me about a trail near 220 that goes along the north side of the park and I was on my way. A little while later, as I was trying to find this trail, I bumped into them again and asked if I'm headed towards the right direction.

Terry simply suggested I follow them but I declined as I told him I'll just hold them back. His reply was a simple, "come on, it's not a race". So, I did my best to keep up with them and thoroughly enjoyed the trail they showed me and have since included that trail in almost every one of my DD rides.

The cool thing is, aside from learning that new route, it was a break through moment for me as I overcame a big fear that lingered over my shoulders. Up until that day, I was very apprehensive to ride through sections that is now essentially nothing to me but was, psychologically, a barrier that I just couldn't break back then. By following Terry and his friend and seeing that it wasn't impossible, I sucked it up and followed through and haven't really looked back since. That 20 minute ride did more for my riding abilities then I could believe.

Thanks man:thumbsup:

-Chris

·
I am Walt
6,345 Posts
dsittman said:
Cool thread...I'll play.

Thanks Dave...as De' said, the pleasure was ours...

This is one of the main reasons I ride...to enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded people, while being outdoors doing something I love. I have to tell you, in the 5+ years I've been trolling MTBR, I have yet to meet and/or ride with someone who is an actual jerk. Regardless of what may come across online, everyone I've met and ridden with has been cool, and fun to ride, hang out and vibe with. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and approach every ride with an open mind and a smile. I want to welcome all, and make everyone comfortable.

And, most to the point of this thread, for me, would be CoyoteKis...Deanna. She has rocked my world and changed my life...'nuff said. :)

·
aka Diesel
1,246 Posts
waltaz said:
And, most to the point of this thread, for me, would be CoyoteKis...Deanna. She has rocked my world and changed my life...'nuff said. :)
Oh you are SO angling for a Christmas gift!! ;)

But on a serious note... back at you. Epic. :yesnod: Wow.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.