Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first race of the season has been cancelled due to weather, here's the cancellation message sent by the league director.

"Hello Coaches,
I am reaching out because we are canceling this weekend's race do to heavy rain & temps in the 40s in the forecast. After much research it looks like the rain is 100% for Sunday with showers Saturday.

Our main concern is the safety of our riders. Our second concern is the potential for trail damage.

We will refund race fees or the rider can apply the fee to the next race.

I look forward to seeing you all on April 13 at Sprain Ridge Park.

Jason Cairo
NICA New York League Director"

·
Your Best Friend
5,297 Posts
I'm surprised New York has a Spring league. Your potential for late snow pack and serious rain is pretty significant isn't it?

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say so and that's one of the reasons why most of the races are held downstate, here in CNY the trails still have snow on them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very good call. Trail was clear ready for the race, but the weather report was for 24 hours of rain leading up to the race (it's been raining since 10am), and rain till Monday as well. Thanks to the Trail Steward for cleaning up the winter debris, the trail was Race Ready. This trail does have lots of roots growing all over which can be real slippery, and typically does not drain well.

Besides a later than normal start to spring here on Long Island, we have been riding for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My daughter was so disappointed. Months of anticipation, training rides on the fatbike because we were still covered in snow up here and conditioning from track team practice and then... poof. 4" of rain yesterday/last night and no race. Good thing though, that place turns into a slop pit and with all the work that was done to get it ready it would have been a shame to wreck it for everybody else later.

Two more weeks until the race at Sprain Ridge. See you all there.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My daughter was so disappointed. Months of anticipation, training rides on the fatbike because we were still covered in snow up here and conditioning from track team practice and then... poof. 4" of rain yesterday/last night and no race. Good thing though, that place turns into a slop pit and with all the work that was done to get it ready it would have been a shame to wreck it for everybody else later.

Two more weeks until the race at Sprain Ridge. See you all there.
We were also very disappointed but was indeed the right call to make, our kids haven't ridden outside all winter; I tried with my son on Saturday and it was a total failure due to the amount of snow, ice, water and mud on the service roads we tried to ride on.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I don't know anything about your venues, geology, or seasonal weather.

In NorCal the first two races happen in late Feb and early Mar at venues that handle water well and are adaptable to new and developing riders.
They are very fortunate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Round Two, Sprain. A bit more technical with fewer miles. Some serious climbs, so bring your granny gear. Bring your knee pads and elbow pads as an option.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
We were also very disappointed but was indeed the right call to make, our kids haven't ridden outside all winter; I tried with my son on Saturday and it was a total failure due to the amount of snow, ice, water and mud on the service roads we tried to ride on.
Thank goodness for fatbikes! We've been riding at least once a week all winter (or I would have gone nuts!)

If you have time to come down this way on Sunday we will be at Sprain Ridge getting some training miles in and helping her to get familiar with the trails. I know my way around there well enough to give you and your son a good tour. Let me know...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts