Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kerry Wood of the Sandia Ranger District has put together some dates for Trail Work in various parts of the district. You can check out the details at the Foo-site....

Maybe the "Mayor of O-Town" and the Bando's will show up for the Otero Sessions. Seems Kerry wants to re-route the Blue Ribbon and Nasty Wag trails... :thumbsup:

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
AndyN said:
Why re-route Blue Ribbon? That trail is great, and very, very long.
Blue ribbon is not sustainable. It's an errosion waiting to happen, but the people who built it don't understand that Andy. That's the reason they are part of the PROBLEM! It needs to be re-routed and Kerry will fix it.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
DaGoat said:
Blue ribbon is not sustainable. It's an errosion waiting to happen
We must be talking about different trails. I don't refer to the section I'm talking about as Blue Ribbon (but I have heard others do so thus my response), and it is definitely sustainable.

Where exactly is Blue Ribbon as Kerry knows it?

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
AndyN said:
We must be talking about different trails. I don't refer to the section I'm talking about as Blue Ribbon (but I have heard others do so thus my response), and it is definitely sustainable.

Where exactly is Blue Ribbon as Kerry knows it?
It's the connector up from the "official" withdrawal boundary on Otero to the north. Heads up and connects to Rambo. The other side is Nasty Wag and it heads to the South and hooks up in the meadows to the trail over to Mars Court.

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crux said:
Sounds as if there is an opportunity for added milage and fun then. Have the proposed reroutes be mapped and flagged?
Hey Andy... not sure of the status but Kerry and Ryan have been looking things over. I'm sure there is room for input if you want to contact Kerry... his email address is in the Trail Session document. :thumbsup:

·
Bandolero
1,566 Posts
DaGoat said:
And you are MORE than welcome to get your a$$ off the sofa and come out to help fix and maintain OUR trails! :thumbsup:
I'm sure when you run into the Owl on the trail something is going to be fixed and maintain alright but I'm not sure if is going to be the trail.just my two cents:lol: :lol: :lol:
RCC

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RCC said:
I'm sure when you run into the Owl on the trail something is going to be fixed and maintain alright but I'm not sure if is going to be the trail.just my two cents:lol: :lol: :lol:
RCC
Spoken like a true Bandolero... SSINGA, can you clear this one as well... thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
NFS Work Day on Winsor too. 4.23.11

SFFTS Winsor Trail Workday

What: Upper Winsor Trail Maintenance Day
Where: Winsor Trail above Pacheco Canyon Rd.
When: 4/23/2011 from 9:00am to 2:00pm

Description: Jennifer Sublett from the Forest Service will lead this project. Meet at the junction of Pacheco Canyon Rd with Hyde Park Rd. We will carpool to the Winsor trail crossing and work on the trail above the road. The project will be to do general maintenance on the upper Winsor trail. For more info contact Jennifer at [email protected] .

·
Stucco Bucket
1,920 Posts
guess youre blowin more than hot air around here. explains a lot now.
This is why the NM forums are the Internet equiv of Jerry Springer.
Thanks Mr Falwell. Ill stay in the informative sections over here, and pretty soon it will be just pages of Doug Falwell posting by himself.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
DaGoat said:
It's the connector up from the "official" withdrawal boundary on Otero to the north. Heads up and connects to Rambo. The other side is Nasty Wag and it heads to the South and hooks up in the meadows to the trail over to Mars Court.
Okay, that trail is Tio Juanito, and yes, parts of it are a fall line mess. From what I understand, it was cut in as an emergency measure to connect the remaining portions of Rambo to Otero proper during the DOE fiasco. Understandable that it was done in haste.

Like crux said, the re-route will almost surely result in more mileage.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Based on the above information, seems Doug needs to do some apologizing.

I really don't understand Doug's continuous toxic retoric in the NM Forum and why he is allowed to keep on posting it.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
The Trees

The FS also updated their website in the middle of the night but this isn't on their "News" page.

My math is bad but this looks like 10 days of trail work in the Otero area, a section that's needed some work for quite some time. The acceptance of the social trail connectors into the network is a good thing.

On the converse side, this will increase the use of motorized traffic on trails that were previously too narrow/tight for their machines. I wonder how many motorcyclists will be in on these sessions.

I know one FooMTBer/Bandolero that will be there for these days to ensure that the the non-motorized trail users are represented. It would be great if other mountain bikers show up at least for the first few days so that we outnumber the motos.

DaGoat said:
Kerry Wood of the Sandia Ranger District has put together some dates for Trail Work in various parts of the district. You can check out the details at the Foo-site....

Maybe the "Mayor of O-Town" and the Bando's will show up for the Otero Sessions. Seems Kerry wants to re-route the Blue Ribbon and Nasty Wag trails... :thumbsup:

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Figured a pretty decent means of asking for trail volunteers is to have a plan laid out with the NFS ahead of time including Topos, photos of proposed trail work areas, technical trail features such as berms, rock gardens, log rides and drops. Does not have to call out every inch of trail, but at least show that some thought went into it. In doing trail work it would be nice to have a defined set of trail users specifically focused towards cycling. Share the topos with the cycling community so the have some say in the trail that they will be building.

As for having just one person approaching the NFS with a plan I do not think they would be all that receptive.

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
crux said:
Figured a pretty decent means of asking for trail volunteers is to have a plan laid out with the NFS ahead of time including Topos, photos of proposed trail work areas, technical trail features such as berms, rock gardens, log rides and drops. Does not have to call out every inch of trail, but at least show that some thought went into it. In doing trail work it would be nice to have a defined set of trail users specifically focused towards cycling. Share the topos with the cycling community so the have some say in the trail that they will be building.

As for having just one person approaching the NFS with a plan I do not think they would be all that receptive.
Sounds like a plan Andy.... lead the charge... in fact could this be the FooMTB Trail Liaison in the making? Kerry is a great guy and very open to ideas.... make it so #1! :thumbsup:

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
DaGoat said:
Sounds like a plan Andy.... lead the charge... in fact could this be the FooMTB Trail Liaison in the making? Kerry is a great guy and very open to ideas.... make it so #1! :thumbsup:
And here I thought that you were point man for such efforts. With the plan thus far undefined your going to need quite a bit of help. In all honesty I think the Bando crew would do an excellent job when it comes time for trail re-route efforts if given half a chance.

One example could be some thing like the following:
The attached pdf shows an agreed upon reroute that has X added milage with additional X elevation gain/loss. The new trail will follow along a ridge with solid rock armoring a steep decent into a set of berms with a smooth transition drop. Drop is an optional feature allowing riders the choice. Further down the trail there are a few sweeping switch backs which should prove to be a very fast section. Finally there is a little climb to a small peak where the trail will rejoin existing trail. This reroute will eliminate the need of the fall line trail to the north creating a more sustainable solution for all trail users. Please note this section will be restricted to single track usage only.

Now if we had something like this to base a trail build upon after it has been scouted so we know what is there one could have a much better turnout.

Attachments

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Doug's working with Albuquerque Open Space.

We do need a Trail Director. Interested?

crux said:
And here I thought that you were point man for such efforts. With the plan thus far undefined your going to need quite a bit of help. In all honesty I think the Bando crew would do an excellent job when it comes time for trail re-route efforts if given half a chance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.