Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... i got a crazy idea for a bike here, and a crazy guy I work with builds bikes.
basically it'll be sorta like a nikolai g-boxx bike (gear hub mounted in frame, chain drive to singlespeed style rear wheel), but fully rigid, and set up for 4" wide snow tires (and possibly for 700 size wheels as well, still in early planning stages)
I want to put a rohloff hub in, but at the moment that would blow the whole project way over budget. I'm building the bike for riding in crappy conditions, namely snow. Will a Nexus 7 speed hub perform in these conditions? it has to work in weather about 0 degrees fehrenheit. seems to me it should work, as it's a hub geared toward commuters and other poor weather riders, I'm just looking for some additional info/experience. thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
You may need to wash it out with solvent and relube with a lighter oil but that's all I can see. When you get the hub try it by hand to see how much resistance there is to operating and shifting. Then put it into the deep freezer for a day and then try it cold. That'll soon tell you if the lube has temperature issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.