Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to build a set of wide and light carbon wheels. Ordered the Nextie 38mm asymmetric hoops. Used my original hubs from my P-TRX1 wheel set. Also upgraded to 48 star ratchet in the rear hub. Set them up tubeless.

Carbon wheels is one of the best upgrades I have made to my bike! Traction is waaay better, faster acceleration and holy crap they are stiff. Each hoop weighs 3oz less than the originals. The bike accelerates better and floats over loose parts of the trail. I used to run 28psi. It was crazy hard with the carbon at that PSI. I now run 20-22psi. Please excuse the dirty bike.

Link to rims:
[Asymmetric] [NXT27WC38] [All Mountain] 38mm Width Carbon Fiber 27.5" / 650B MTB Rim Clincher Hookless Tubeless Compatible Resize 1.jpg resize 2.jpg resize 3.jpg

·
Just a flesh wound
2,369 Posts
Nice looking build! I have the LB 38mm hoops, no offset. But they are super stiff and they give the tires so much poise, right? Makes the tires look super fat too. Nice work!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really makes a big difference and there is no downside that I can find. Wide wheels will be considered a must for my trail bikes in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been wanting to build a set of wide and light carbon wheels. Ordered the Nextie 38mm asymmetric hoops. Used my original hubs from my P-TRX1 wheel set. Also upgraded to 48 star ratchet in the rear hub. Set them up tubeless.

Carbon wheels is one of the best upgrades I have made to my bike! Traction is waaay better, faster acceleration and holy crap they are stiff. Each hoop weighs 3oz less than the originals. The bike accelerates better and floats over loose parts of the trail. I used to run 28psi. It was crazy hard with the carbon at that PSI. I now run 20-22psi. Please excuse the dirty bike.

Link to rims:
[Asymmetric] [NXT27WC38] [All Mountain] 38mm Width Carbon Fiber 27.5" / 650B MTB Rim Clincher Hookless Tubeless Compatible View attachment 1084473 View attachment 1084474 View attachment 1084475

About to order the same rims in 29er. Curious to know how these rims hold up? Any long term reviews you can share. Thank you 😃

·
psycho cyclo addict
2,973 Posts
About to order the same rims in 29er. Curious to know how these rims hold up? Any long term reviews you can share. Thank you 
I built up a set of the narrower 29er offset NXT29UL30's a couple years ago and they've been bombproof.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I built up a set of the narrower 29er offset NXT29UL30's a couple years ago and they've been bombproof.
I appreciate your feedback. The only worry for me is I’m a bit on the heavier sidebof things, 115kgs/255lbs rtr, I don’t ride hard, I go easy on my bike but still do 2-3feet of drops here and there. For the chosen rims Nextie spced it can hold upto 160kgs/350lbs. Do you think my weight becomes an issue.

·
psycho cyclo addict
2,973 Posts
I appreciate your feedback. The only worry for me is I’m a bit on the heavier sidebof things, 115kgs/255lbs rtr, I don’t ride hard, I go easy on my bike but still do 2-3feet of drops here and there. For the chosen rims Nextie spced it can hold upto 160kgs/350lbs. Do you think my weight becomes an issue.
I am just under 200 lbs. and ride hard over lots of rocky and rooty stuff (plus down staircases on weekly urban assault rides). Some of the folks that have checked out my wheel build trip out and think the rims are super light for what I'm riding.

You shouldn't have any problem...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am just under 200 lbs. and ride hard over lots of rocky and rooty stuff (plus down staircases on weekly urban assault rides). Some of the folks that have checked out my wheel build trip out and think the rims are super light for what I'm riding.

You shouldn't have any problem...
Great! One thing though people say that the ERD on the website on these chinese carbon rims aren’t exactly what’s listed on their website. Did you happen to measure yours before you laced them?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I've been running those very rims for a couple of years now and have been really happy with them. I bought the whole wheelset with DT350 hubs from Nextie's Australia/NZ distributor and they've been great, haven't touched them in a couple of thousand kms of riding.

endo.jpg

·
遅すぎ
429 Posts
I had these rims for just over 2 years; a JRA low speed/ low impact rock strike caused the rear to crack. Only a one mile walk out thankfully. Their support was like LOL sorry nothing we can do; not even offered a discounted replacement rim. With all the big brands offering life time warranties, I'm done trying to save a buck or two when a we are one rim is only marginally more expensive now a days and they are made in canada with functional support.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 4 rims running but just now 2 of them failed. I suspect the temperature in the back of my truck weakened them. I feel it was just a bad batch and will get replacements discounted. I like the rims, the service , but am worried for the temperature thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts