Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

I'd love to get some thoughts on what my next upgrade should be. Here's my current spec list:

• Fox 34 Factory FIT4 150mm
  • Cane Creek DB Inline (older internals)
  • Shimano SLX 11 speed
  • Shimano SLX brakes
  • Race Face Ride crankset
  • Race Face Aeffect wheelset
  • KORE stem
  • Renthal Fatbar 35 Riser Bar
  • Fox Transfer Performance dropper post
  • SDG Falcon saddle
  • DMR Vault pedals
  • Race Face Half Nelson grips
  • Minion DHF and DHR II tires
I've read that you guys love the CC DB Coil IL, so that's on my list. Also considering going 203mm rotors in the front and 180mm in the rear, since it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade. Lastly, I'd like to go to a 30mm ID wheelset at some point, as I've already dented the rear on the cheap RF wheels on the bike.

What would you all do next?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I love my inline coil, definitely a good upgrade, but even getting your current inline air rebuilt with the new internals will be a good improvement IME.

I'm in a similar position to you, wife and I have our first child due towards the end of the year so any thoughts of a new bike have been forgotten and I'm looking at what I can do to give tune the Endo instead. Wider carbon rims are pretty high on my list of potential improvements, I'm just trying to get my head around regular vs asymmetrical, and how wide is wide enough for the tyres I want to run (probably 30-35mm internal for proper 2.4 tyres). You could probably save a little weight upgrading parts like bars and cranks, and spend a lot of money in the process, but good wheels are IMO worth every cent and about as good an upgrade as you can make in terms of noticeable improvement for dollars spent.

·
Ride On
904 Posts
Tough call if I had to choose between wheels and a inline coil. Both are big impact and expensive. I know every time I have put on a nice lighter wheel set it’s been hugely beneficial, faster acceleration, less effort more playful and agile. Putting on the coil was also pretty dramatic, sooooo smooth and plush, essentially erase fast repetitive small bumps and made hard landings unusually calm.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love my inline coil, definitely a good upgrade, but even getting your current inline air rebuilt with the new internals will be a good improvement IME.

I'm in a similar position to you, wife and I have our first child due towards the end of the year so any thoughts of a new bike have been forgotten and I'm looking at what I can do to give tune the Endo instead. Wider carbon rims are pretty high on my list of potential improvements, I'm just trying to get my head around regular vs asymmetrical, and how wide is wide enough for the tyres I want to run (probably 30-35mm internal for proper 2.4 tyres). You could probably save a little weight upgrading parts like bars and cranks, and spend a lot of money in the process, but good wheels are IMO worth every cent and about as good an upgrade as you can make in terms of noticeable improvement for dollars spent.
Yep, I'm in a similar boat. Two kids under 4 and a bit of funds to upgrade the bike's performance. Thanks for your feedback... I'm thinking the inline air with new internals plus a new wheelset could be the ticket for this year.

Tough call if I had to choose between wheels and a inline coil. Both are big impact and expensive. I know every time I have put on a nice lighter wheel set it's been hugely beneficial, faster acceleration, less effort more playful and agile. Putting on the coil was also pretty dramatic, sooooo smooth and plush, essentially erase fast repetitive small bumps and made hard landings unusually calm.
Thanks for the perspective! I agree, it's a tough call...

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'm thinking the inline air with new internals plus a new wheelset could be the ticket for this year.
Sounds like a good plan. One thing I've found since changing to the coil is that my Pike feels kinda harsh and lacking compared to the rear end now, so I'm gonna have to spend some money there too!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a good plan. One thing I've found since changing to the coil is that my Pike feels kinda harsh and lacking compared to the rear end now, so I'm gonna have to spend some money there too!
I'm loving my Fox 34 Factory! What forks are you considering? Maybe go full coil?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Probably will stick with the Pike, but next time they're due a service I'll send them into Shockcraft (suspension guru dougal on here) to get their "unharsh my ride" tune done. And maybe add a MRP ramp control if he recommends it.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
If your wheels aren't under warranty set some money aside because that rear hub is unreliable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put on the IL coil and it transformed the rear compliance but I could never dial in the Fox 34 Fit 150mm to match. Could just be my tuning skills. But I think if you're considering the coil rear, consider an upgrade up front as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great suggestion! I've done 2 already with Lee Likes Bikes. Best money spent bar none!
Im really glad to hear that. Booking some lessons with ex Japanese racer Karey Lee Watanabe in June. Some of my riding budies can do more with a hardtail than I can with my FS so shows me experience and training is worth more than equipment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for the advice! I made some decisions.

I am going to send in my CCDB Inline to get it upgraded to the Air IL internals. I'm also going to pick up a new wheelset: Stans Flow MK3s running DT Swiss 350 hubs w/ upgraded 54t ratchet. I'll keep my current 2.3 DHF and DHRII tires until they wear out before going with something a bit wider.

It'll take a bit before it all comes together but I'm stoked to now have a plan forward!

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
Probably will stick with the Pike, but next time they're due a service I'll send them into Shockcraft (suspension guru dougal on here) to get their "unharsh my ride" tune done. And maybe add a MRP ramp control if he recommends it.
I hear good things about the PUSH ACS3 coil conversion for the Pike too. Sometimes the only way to match the plushness of a coil is with a coil.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts