Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I did a somewhat grueling endurance event the other day (equiv. to a B race) and now have 3 weeks for my big one of the year (another endurance event that will have me on course for about 6 hours).

How to best manage recovery from the other day and maintain fitness and form for this event is where I'm at.

Shall I treat this week as a Rest & Recovery period, and then do a 2 week Race prep session in which I decrease volume but still maintain some intensity? I follow Friel's work for the record.

Any contradictory thoughts? I am a senior race FTR.

·
Registered
2020 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 GX/X01
49 Posts
Generally agree. More specifically I would do:
This week - 50% volume, just a little intensity, listen to your body
Next week - 75% volume, maintain intensity, and any race-specific prep (hills, technical riding, equipment tests)
Final week - 50% volume, maintain intensity, and any race-specific prep (hills, technical riding, equipment tests)

Best of luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
There are a lot of schools of though on this.

Just
As an alternative.
Week 1: Easy volume. Some people recover really well off of this.
Week 2: reduced volume with intensity
Week 3: easy volume

6hr races really aren’t about high end speed. They are about pedalling for long periods of time. Nice to go into being comfortable with the duration

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the feedback. Seems you both have a similar set of guidelines, particularly with volume load. That will be my plan, with the proper load of intensity.

In these races, I certainly hit lactate threshold with decent frequency, and aerobic capacity on the climbs. It is a race afterall!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.