Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else out there with the 2014 RaceFace Next SL crankset had any issues battling peddle squeak/creak? I'm using the RaceFace BSA30 conversion BB on my SC Solo/5010c. I had no issues for the first few months but then it started, at first just on high-wattage climbs but a few rides later on every %@#$ pedal stroke.

Already had the whole thing apart and cleaned/lubed, once by me, once by my LBS. Had a couple quiet rides then it started again. Definitely not the rear triangle or pivots, and it's *much* more prominent on the drive-side stroke.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Similar issue on my road bike, ended up being the aluminum BB insert in the frame was out of spec allow the nylon BB86 to move around and creak. Only way to fix it was to replace the frame, good for me Giant did it under warranty for me.

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
I've been riding the same crankset w/ BSA30 BB for a few months and haven't noticed anything.

Did you check the rear shock polymer bush? My LTc was creaking when pedaling (especially when unseated) and I finally tracked it to the shock bush. It took a while to diagnose since my metal bushes lasted for years and the new polymer bush didn't last 3 months.

Anyone else out there with the 2014 RaceFace Next SL crankset had any issues battling peddle squeak/creak? I'm using the RaceFace BSA30 conversion BB on my SC Solo/5010c. I had no issues for the first few months but then it started, at first just on high-wattage climbs but a few rides later on every %@#$ pedal stroke.

Already had the whole thing apart and cleaned/lubed, once by me, once by my LBS. Had a couple quiet rides then it started again. Definitely not the rear triangle or pivots, and it's *much* more prominent on the drive-side stroke.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you check the rear shock polymer bush?
Great suggestion! I just discovered that the top bushings on the shock were squeaky when I rotated them with the bottom disconnected. Cleaned/lubed, they're quiet now, will test tomorrow and see if that was it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out the source of the squeak was my damn shoes! An almost new pair of Giro Privateers... I took the cleat mech apart, cleaned & added some lube for good measure. Now instead of a squeak there's just a faint "crunky" noise, that's more pronounced if I put some pull into the upstroke.

At any rate, the cranks are still awesome!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have the new Next SL cranks with RF BSA30 BB and the bearings are shoot after a month of wet riding. The seals failed in the drive side. On the none drive side the bear seal are still good but not smooth.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I have the new Next SL cranks with RF BSA30 BB and the bearings are shoot after a month of wet riding. The seals failed in the drive side. On the none drive side the bear seal are still good but not smooth.
My BB is exactly the same. I love the chainset but the bottom bracket is terrible. If the BB had been ok I would have got another one no questions for my other bike, instead I went XX1 and a ceramic BB. At least this way I have alternative BB's, unlike with the raceface.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I did the same thing to get me thru the weekend. I picked up a set of ceramic SRAM bearings and will replace the RF junk.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
What grease is that? I have never seen an translucent grease that was good. I would have just filled that sucker up with molykote myself. Its sticky sh1t.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did the same thing to get me thru the weekend. I picked up a set of ceramic SRAM bearings and will replace the RF junk.
Can you PM me with the details of which bearings you put in? My RF ones haven't died yet but I might as well prepare for the inevitable :)

·
Registered
390 Posts

Here's a pix of the RF seal with the the bearing number. The RF bearing number is 6806RS the size is 30mm x 42mm x 7mm (ID x OD x W). I got a set of ceramic SRAM bearings for a BB30 it's the same size. I would have gotten a ENDURO ceramic bearings but my LBS had a set of SRAM.

·
Fat & Single
4,127 Posts
Getting a small ticking noise from the bottom bracket, might be just movement in the spacers and BB shell. Took them off 3 times now and lubed them, still there.

Any ideas ?

·
Fat & Single
4,127 Posts
Oi budgie !!! I fitted metal spacers to mine but this did not stop the ticking/creaking noise.

Will be ordering a set of Enduro bearings in the next few days, hopefully that clears the issue up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts