Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a new wheelset and I am eyeing a set of Newmen Advanced SL X.A.30 rims. Anyone have any experience with Newmen wheels? There doesn't seem to be a single review of their carbon wheels on the internet. The weight (330g for 30mm internal rims) seems to good to be true.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
I can't speak to the rims in isolation, but their overall wheelset weight seems in line with others. For example, an SL X.A.30 build in Boost form weighs 1420g (per the Newmen site), which is in line with Roval Control SLs which I recall would be in the 1440g range.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,197 Posts
Looking to build a new wheelset and I am eyeing a set of Newmen Advanced SL X.A.30 rims. Anyone have any experience with Newmen wheels? There doesn't seem to be a single review of their carbon wheels on the internet. The weight (330g for 30mm internal rims) seems to good to be true.
Well, yes, the weight IS too good to be true: 357g. But, that's still awesome for a 30mm internal rim.

https://r2-bike.com/NEWMEN-Rim-29-Advanced-SL-XA30-Carbon-28-Hole

That said, I've always liked Newmen's stuff. They make really nice looking hubs. I posted a thread about these rims on WeightWeenies a couple months ago and never got any feedback about them.

·
Thicc Member
1,029 Posts
They're newly released and hard to get during this scamdemic. So I don't know why you were expecting any feedback.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For example, an SL X.A.30 build in Boost form weighs 1420g (per the Newmen site)
Where did you get the 1420gr number - homepage says 1325gr and my wheels are actually 1314gr.

I bought these wheels in july and still very happy with them. 30mm internal width allows me to run pressures 1.1-1.2bar even with light tires.
Hubs are well engineered and waterproof. I have jetwashed my bike multiple times during last 3 months and zero problems - dt swiss and other hubs cant tolerate washing and rain so well.

Ride is quite compliant - exactly as it says on homepage. Mcfk and duke wheels are much harsher.

Because I weigh 91kg I would say they are strong also - atleast for xc riding.

Probably I will buy second set for my wife but with sapim cx-ray spokes instead of d-lights - result should be under 1300gr and more aerodynamic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts