Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. This a friendly reminder to everyone out there, and specifically captain "I can't wait for these jumps to dry so I am going to shred them to sh*t." It just rained here in SoCal and I know a lot of people have been busy digging, which is good news for everyone.

If it is obvious someone has been building/maintaining trails/jumps/etc throughout the previous month's rains, give it some time before you ride them. Seriously, let it dry then go enjoy the work of the diggers.

Some dude/dudes are tearing up the line I built. Fixing the lips/landings every few days is getting old. I don't mind building and sharing, but getting f*cked into rebuilding lips/patching landings over and over sucks goat. And the little roll up the lip and back down without hitting it routine...come on. If you're bent on sh*tting on the line at least have some balls. And if you've been riding some freshly made line somewhere near Mission Viejo, chances are it's you I am talking to. Give it a week man. Judging by tire tracks, it's just you.

Give it a week, forecast is sunny. If you are bored, go dig. Thanks much.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sorry for that. I know the exact feeling. People here in Idaho don't know not to ride when its wet. Trails just get torn up and jumps are in horrible condition and nobody wants to help rebuild them. I feel your pain.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
I wish it was one person.....but the skidding, ruining jumps, berms and all just sucks....then you got the guys riding around everything making new lines...arrr:madman:

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
You silly Californians, can't build anything that holds up in the wet.

If I had to wait for it to dry out I'd get about three rides a year.
hah! we need it to last for the rest of the year.

That said, I'm a big fan of getting way to much speed for a jump, then skidding the rear tire back and forth across the top, then getting all western on that sh1t and landing sideways. The goal, for me, is to throw as much dirt as possible, without actually touching a shovel. Dragging a brake through a berm is one of my few joys in life.

But seriously, that sucks dude, riders hitting wet jumps sucks balls in socal.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
William42 said:
That said, I'm a big fan of getting way to much speed for a jump, then skidding the rear tire back and forth across the top, then getting all western on that sh1t and landing sideways. The goal, for me, is to throw as much dirt as possible, without actually touching a shovel. Dragging a brake through a berm is one of my few joys in life.
Thats awesome. New sig, engage!

·
UNDEAD
485 Posts
Itchy-
All I can say is thanx for your hard work and dedication, the will to actually give back in some people is nice to see.

I know totally where you are coming from.
I've spent hours and hours on my fav. local trails/jumps to only have them thrashed in minutes on the same day by a$$-clowns that have no respect for anything they ride...they must think that the magic trail fairy comes by and fixes things for them.
My favorite kicker was completly destroyed by lame-a$$ off roader wanna-be's during the last rain, I had to completely rebuild and shape it by myself yesterday, in hopes it would survive to see a better day.
Do I ask for help, no
Why?
Don't want to attract attention

I gave up on my fav downhill recently, I had it the last time I was out.
Within one day all my work was blown out from dudes that can't wait a day or two to let things harden up and settle.
Have these guys ever picked up a shovel and sweat their nuts off repairing a trail?
NO
But how you gunna stop them?
Can't
So I said my good-byes yesterday on my final runs down a blown-out, brake bump, rutted out trail cause of these yahoos....they can get their tire twisted and hit the ground hard for alI care...HAVE FUN!:mad:
I will come back to it in the Spring time

Good luck man is all I can say, unless you have the power to "close down" a trail not much will change

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
one of the best ways to get someone not to roll your lip is to dig a hole they would sink into right after and even some well placed rocks after the lip..(where you fly over but if you role it you will be hitting a curb high rock)....

·
Pro Crastinator
12,046 Posts
i dig giant holes in front of trail features that are still wet/soft and then fill them back in later. my stuff usually stays legit till i come back and fill in the holes. often times i will even slightly disguise the hole so clowns don't see it till the last minute. it's not uncommon for me to come back to the hole and see a huge imprint of someones front wheel in the other side of it...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I wish it was one person.....but the skidding, ruining jumps, berms and all just sucks....then you got the guys riding around everything making new lines...arrr:madman:
On edit, I think the OP was talking about riding too soon after the rains - which is SO not ok in my book - people have done it on trails and dj's I have worked hard on and it always pisses me off....

as for go-arounds (dirt jump lines excepted)

It's your backyard - but to be honest, I really think the fact you guys (often) build with no go-arounds is not the best choice- not everybody is going to hit everything on every given day - and the sort of "must make" building is not always going to be well built (placement of the jump - like on an uphill where maintaining the required speed is tough) - and creating a trail that has no way around what are often not the best-built stunts (and in fact building "traps" and so forth to prevent not commiting), is in my opinion poor building choices - Whistler is one of the most user-friendly places to ride (and nobody could say lacking in difficult trails) - because they build in a way that even if people really screw up or don't commit, they won't by nature of the jump/drop/stunt get hurt - and there is always a go-around that is less difficult or commited

it's actually in a builder's best interest (btw, this is on a TRAIL not a set of dirt jumps which can't work like this) - because people ARE going to go around - I'm guessing I know which trail(s) you guys are specifically referring to - and I've seen the damage done by people going around - but if you didn't build trenches on either side or try to block and FORCE people to do every jump/stunt etc. - then there wouldn't be so much damage from peeps going around

another reason it's "in your own best interest" is keeping injuries down - Bob, you got yourself out after a horrific crash (actually more than one ;-) - and that's great - I've done the same on the very trail I think we are speaking of (ruptured kidney) - but not everybody will self-rescue nor will they be able to - and that brings unwanted attention to what are, after all, unofficial trails on public lands - which we don't want! so by forcing folks to go bigger than they may be willing or able, you are creating a possible trail-closing incident.

and before anybody starts with the "THEN DON'T RIDE THAT TRAIL" - I've ridden all over the place - and even (especially) on the North Shore of Vancouver, they don't build huge do-or-die lines without a go around - in fact, nearly every trail I've ridden in BC has alternate lines - often marked with ski icons (blue diamond for easier, black or double black for harder) - this makes for user-friendly trails - and you know what you are getting into. There are exceptions, but not many come to mind - and they are exceptions, not the norm

it's just my take, and it's not my backyard (although I've ridden out there for a very long time), and I get the frustration with damage done to what you work hard on - it's just that if you build no alternate, the reality is that some people will go around...

all that said, there is clearly a great crew of people that work really hard at building and maintaining, and anybody who rides should respect that and do their best not to damage the work - I do

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Diggin' a hole in front of the first in the set in a good idea. haha. Actually really good. Although it could arouse contempt in the douche heart.

I went back yesterday to check up and some kid had poked two deep ass finger holes into lip #2 and finished with a smiley face groove. haha. Though, kids ruining crap because they are kids and they suck at everything doesn't bother me so much. i'll take pictures of wreckage next time.

just re-read what snow-man said about the trail fairy. haha. I was thinkin' the same thing.
Whoever is riding the jumps must be havin' a *****en time. They come out...ride, destroy, and leave. Then they come back the next day and my sorry ass has fixed everything for them. I am never having kids. Somehow that is my only conclusion.

fudge it, i am quitting my job to dig full time and i am throwing away my bike tomorrow.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
macrider said:
It's your backyard - but to be honest, I really think the fact you guys (often) build with no go-arounds is not the best choice- not everybody is going to hit everything on every given day - and the sort of "must make" building is not always going to be well built (placement of the jump - like on an uphill where maintaining the required speed is tough)
there are go around lines stuff I rode as a beginner (4 1/2 months on a mountain bike) first time riding a bike in 20 years)....just the begining was changed to make people think before dropping in.....toomany XC'ers with hardtails coming through who have no biz on trail....and that is reality

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.