Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The modern Moab, still under construction, simply rocks. Some of the former secret trails are being adopted by BLM and others and being built from scratch. I'm sure some will complain about the dumbed down versions, but oh well. Moab is not the moab it used to be.

We tasted it this past week: The magnificent-7.... includes Bull canyon ('Bull Run'), 'Arth's corner', 'Little Canyon' and a single track climb up part of Bar Rim (Bar Rim single track' not to be mistaken for the actually Gold bar rim trail that is singletrack). From there, you can finish off Bar rim, deviate on Golden Spike or the Gold Bar Rim Singletrack to Portal or poison Spider. Maybe one of the best rides in Moab; Bull-Arth's-L Cyn-GB ST Climb-GB ST-Portal.

South of town, there is 'Pipe Dream,' Singletrack that follows the base of Moab Rim for nine miles. It's still not done and some places are very sketchy but it's tight singletrack.

Over near Bar-M are some amazing family orientated trails and the new Deadman's trail that is still only one-third completed but a very cool trail that hooks you in to Rockin-A and Killer B.

We also rode some of the newer stuff that spurs off of Sovereign trail north.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

From Pipe Dream.

Photobucket

stuff happens...It's what epics are made of....No other comment.

Photobucket

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,765 Posts
Also a few changes in town- like the peacetree was a nice place to get a wrap and killer smoothie- now it has a bit of posh to it. was still good and prices reasonable, just a different feel. Mcstiffs meh- bad service expensive- but food still pretty good. Moab brewery great food and still a little pricey- but i was paying for 4 at all meals so everything was expensive!

Finally sprung for the hummer tour of hells revenge- oh man that was fun!

Only got to sample some of the sovereign system- fun stuff!!

And whats the deal with the guy in the White Ford Crown Vic driving up bably lions back?! Was shooting some vid of him coming down thinking i may get a nasty crash- but talking with locals sounds like he does it all the time!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
mountaingoatepics said:
Lidarman, I demand more photos. Ur such a tease!! So is the new Bull Canyon Singletrack open between 313 and Four Arch Canyon. I understood that to still be under reroute?
MGE I am pretty sure that section is not open yet....the majority of it is the old Green Dot, so the reroute shouldn't take too long. I hope it is open when we head down there in May.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
xcguy said:
Is that the newer parts of Sovereign? Great stuff.
Nope this stuff is all on the West side of town. It's starts at Bull Canyon by Gemini Bridges road and works it's way to Gold Bar rim where one takes gold bar to Portal or Poison Spider. The who set is an epic such as the whole enchilada is on the kokopelli area.

We did ride the new stuff at sovereign. Also good. We also rode a new traile called 'pipe dream' and the new deadman's trial at the M.O.A.B brands loops.

I still cannot believe of all the years I have ridden Moab, I went on a trip where i rode new singletrack every single day.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Did you guys ride the Mag7 as an out and back or did you set it up as a one way shuttle? I'm heading there this weekend and I'm gonna give this one a go. Blue Dot is one of my favorites, and while inaccessible now, this looks like a very nice consolation prize. :thumbsup:

_MK

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MK_ said:
Did you guys ride the Mag7 as an out and back or did you set it up as a one way shuttle? I'm heading there this weekend and I'm gonna give this one a go. Blue Dot is one of my favorites, and while inaccessible now, this looks like a very nice consolation prize. :thumbsup:

_MK
We hired porcupine shuttles to drop us off at hwy 313 and Bull Canyon. $15 a head. The only downer to this trail is that the mountain goat migration section keeps the gold bar climb limited (such a shame because it's such an awesome climb) so you have to drop back down at the end of little canyon only to do the remaining climb up the steep jeep trail to the overlook on Gold Bar. But all in all nothing bad about that, a good ride does need a good climb.

Another option would be to drive to the bottom of gold bar, ride it as an out and back to the west. Without a shuttle, this would be a good ride.

Or just ride from town and make it a really long day ;)...there is that new paved path along hwy 191 now.

I so wish I could go with you. I can't wait to get back.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I drove down to Gemini Bridges and a little farther, parked, then rode down to Bull Canyon then UP Bull Canyon to under Gemini Bridges. A couple of cool things in that canyon besides the view at the end:

1) There's a quartz filled straight line across the slick rock in the middle of the canyon that I took to be a starting line for some past race. The pic of that is hidden deep in the hard drive of some other hard drive than the one I'm currently using. Cool nonetheless.

2) There's a geologic feature there called 'Robert's Rift". Some cataclysmic happening way back in the day separated the earth about 10 inches in a straight line from waaaaay over there on the canyon wall (I hiked over to it and put my hand on it) to over here on this canyon wall, all the way into Arches as viewed from a high vantage point. Snap!, the earth separated 10 inches. It's now filled with sediment and is unnoticeable where it's filled in and over but I found it...and those pics are in a hard drive on another computer. Use your imagination. What's unusual about it is it's not just in one time epoch of rock strata, it goes vertically up through billions of years of rock---quite the force required to just pull the surface apart like that, AND, in a perfectly straight line for tens of miles. I love that stuff.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
lidarman said:
We hired porcupine shuttles to drop us off at hwy 313 and Bull Canyon. $15 a head. The only downer to this trail is that the mountain goat migration section keeps the gold bar climb limited (such a shame because it's such an awesome climb) so you have to drop back down at the end of little canyon only to do the remaining climb up the steep jeep trail to the overlook on Gold Bar. But all in all nothing bad about that, a good ride does need a good climb.

Another option would be to drive to the bottom of gold bar, ride it as an out and back to the west. Without a shuttle, this would be a good ride.

Or just ride from town and make it a really long day ;)...there is that new paved path along hwy 191 now.

I so wish I could go with you. I can't wait to get back.
Thanks! Didn't realize there was a paid shuttle option! I'm going solo so this is fantastic!

_MK

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Don't know how many geology freaks we have in the audience but, thwarted in my search for pics of Robert's Rift, I Googled it and came up with this: (heavy reading but basically the meteor/comet impact that caused Upheaval Dome in Island In The Sky simultaneously caused this fracture. Stuff from 1000m below the surface was forced up from internal pressure. My pics are better, if I could only find them)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...zfKwEvhKA&sig2=7_rdobI_HLmGFm1GvIjDcw&cad=rja

·
This is how it started...
341 Posts
Thanks for posting that fantastic video. It brought back memories of riding with you guys. Great seeing you last week...wished I could have made that trip.
Hope to see you riding SD soon.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts