Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Live free and Ride Hard!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

This is my first post on the forum and im relativity new to the sport of MTB(a few months). There is a local MTB summer series in the area and ive noticed that there is a beginner class. I was thinking that this would be a good opportunity to better develop my skills on a bike and maybe have some fun in the process. I have riding shorts, clipless pedals, shoes, helment, and gloves but do i need anything else as far as attair wise for Racing?
Also If anybody has any Advise, Tips or pointers they can share for somebody new getting into the sport that would be great!

·
Registered
39 Posts
you need a b

jokes aside do you have a repair kit on your bike, like a tube, tire levers a multi tool and a pump. you can put that stuff in a saddle bag, because stuff goes wrong in a race.

you defiantly should race because it is fun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Blackstang01 said:
Also If anybody has any Advise, Tips or pointers they can share for somebody new getting into the sport that would be great!
Just go out and have fun the first time. It will probably be a lot faster than you think. Beginner mountain bikers and beginner mountain bike racers are not the same thing. The important things for me are to have fun, don't get hurt, and to push myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I noticed that the OP'er was from NC so I thought I would ask... What are some races in the southeast that are great and/or good for beginners???

I was thinking about shooting for Fools Gold MTB Races in GA to be my first race, and my ultimate goal is to work my way up to next yeras Off-Road Assault on Mount Mitchell...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just figure you are going to learn alot the first few times out, some lessons the hard way.
One thing I learned, almost the hard way, is arrows don't always mark the route, they also point out hazards. As I went off the two foot drop way too fast I was vaguely aware out of my peripheral vision of people standing around doing things that in retrospect looked alot like changing flat tires. It all happened so fast. Now I know.
You will learn whether you really are fast on the downhills or not, how much water you need, and how fast your heart can beat, and keep beating, without dying.
You'll learn that pushing your bike uphill is as tiring as riding it and that some people can ride things that will shock you.
You will learn to eat dust, and to like it and that you can change a flat tire alot faster than you think you can.
Best of all, you will learn that mountainbikers are great people and that the race scene, before during and after is alot of fun.
Give it a go.:thumbsup:

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
just get out and do it, you'll figure the rest out on your own. anyone can enter beginner or sport class. i just did my first race this weekend and had a blast..... regardless of the devastating mud :) its hard not to enjoy when your only expectations are to just start, finish, and have fun. I learned a few things from it and im already very anxious to do it again!

"Its just bike racing...its not rocket science." -sue haywood

·
Live free and Ride Hard!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for the input. im thinking my first race will be early july because of a beach trip I have planned for next week. I cant wait should be a blast!

Sneakyalien- There is a summer series in Charlotte every wednesday that im thinking about trying, not sure of anymore in the area

·
Registered
386 Posts
Also considering Charlotte weds night series..

I too have been considering starting to race in the beginner class weds night series -

I think if I do it this year I'll try to hit Beatty for my first one since I know that course well. Give me a shout and let me know what race you plan to hit for your first one - we can stick together and try not to get lapped! My buddy races super sport and says the beginner class is fast.

Matt

·
Live free and Ride Hard!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MtnBikeNC said:
I too have been considering starting to race in the beginner class weds night series -

I think if I do it this year I'll try to hit Beatty for my first one since I know that course well. Give me a shout and let me know what race you plan to hit for your first one - we can stick together and try not to get lapped! My buddy races super sport and says the beginner class is fast.

Matt
I was thinking of doing the north meck race on July 15, im going on vacation so I want be around any other Wednesday before then. Yea we should meet up sometime and train for this thing so we don't make to much of a fool of ourselves lol. what are some local trails you ride in the area?

Taylor

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
DO IT!! Racing is a blast, and will vastly improve your fitness levels as well as handling skills. You will try things in a race that you would never do on your own.

As far other tips:
- 48 hours is the most important period for rest, nutrition and hydration.
- NEVER try anything new on race day in terms of bike set up, cleat position, nutrition/hydration. Way too many people have learned this lesson the hard way.
- Hydrate in the bottle, keep your food seperate. Meaning, drink your electrolytes, not your carbs. Nuun is a great source for competition hydration. There is a long boring story as to why, but this strategy works very well.
- HAVE FUN!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.