Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey hey, som im looking to upgrading to a 9 speed cassette, my question is if you need to replace the rear deraleur (or front) and the shifters, or if you could just replace the cassette and be good, any tips would be appreciated, thank you :cool:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Both brand and level is personal preference. Some use sram or kmc because they come with quick links. Fwiw, I usually get shimano deore or lx when they are on sale and use kmc quick links because I like them better than sram ql.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've heard a lot of complaints about Shimano chains breaking. I looked at reviews here and there weren't any chains that really stand out there so that didn't help much except to see which chains got consistently bad ratings.

I talked to a friend who's been riding for many years and he suggested SRAM 971. He said you couldn't pay him to use a Shimano because all the ones he's tried broke. That's just a single opinion but he's been doing this along time. Also, he has legs the size of tree trunks so that might make chain strength more important for him than most of us.

I'd like to hear some experienced mtb'rs chime in on this one.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
I used to break chains regularly when my shifting wasn't quite so smooth on uphill shifting, no matter what brand.
Haven't had a broken chain in years now, running both SRAM and Shimano.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
tshulthise said:
I've heard a lot of complaints about Shimano chains breaking. I looked at reviews here and there weren't any chains that really stand out there so that didn't help much except to see which chains got consistently bad ratings.

I talked to a friend who's been riding for many years and he suggested SRAM 971. He said you couldn't pay him to use a Shimano because all the ones he's tried broke. That's just a single opinion but he's been doing this along time. Also, he has legs the size of tree trunks so that might make chain strength more important for him than most of us.

I'd like to hear some experienced mtb'rs chime in on this one.
I've actually witnessed way more SRAM failures than Shimano, and the reason for failure in Shimano chains almost every time is failure to follow the directions (that come with the chain) on how to use the connection pin.

Shimano chains have at least 1.5x the pin pull strength as the SRAM 951/971/991 chains. So your friend is actually buying a WEAKER chain with the PC 971 (this is fact, independent of whether one prefers one chain over the other). One way to get around the replacement pin issue with Shimano chains and add some convenience is to use a SRAM Powerlink, KMC Missing Link, or Connex Connector link with it.

Another stronger option is KMC chains (whom BTW make the Shimano chains), their X-series chains are very strong, shift well, and come with a reusable connector.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
I've actually witnessed..bla, bla, mumbo-jumbo*, bla...with a reusable connector.
still, Even SRAM (I use KMC) chains should not break using straight pull - the breaks are largely due to bad shifting/gearing (cross-chain).
Sure, there is bound to be a defectively punched pin here and there, but that can happen in all brands...

* I don't disagree with the 'mumbo-jumbo - just expounding ;)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
highdelll said:
still, Even SRAM (I use KMC) chains should not break using straight pull - the breaks are largely due to bad shifting/gearing (cross-chain).
Sure, there is bound to be a defectively punched pin here and there, but that can happen in all brands...

* I don't disagree with the 'mumbo-jumbo - just expounding ;)
True...but most of us force a shift here and there, so the extra insurance is nice. I've broken two chains in the last ten years, both on bad shifts and both SRAM.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Next thing you know, they'll be telling us you really can use Thin Mints as wheels. I don't think those would last very long. And they're expensive as all hell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.