Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Facelift for the Dean

My computer and carbon bars. I had to buy the computer for the Trans Rockies. I came up with the tri-geek mount to try to lower the profile of the computer so I don't kill it.

New XT crank with a Boone ti ring. I really struggled to pick a crank/BB combo and ended up with this. Not too chi-chi, but it works.

Phil Wood EBB. What can I say? I sold some stuff and had the money to spend. It just looks good(and saves a little weight).

For some reason when I back away from the bike to take a pic it comes out grainy. Some one gave me the dig camera, and I can't find a book so I've given up on taking a big picture for now.

Attachments

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, you can see through the cranks.

Someone at Shimano thought it would be a good idea to put hollow 10mm bolts on this model XT crank. Yeah, I can see through it, yeah, muck can now get it there, and yeah, I will have to carry a 10mm allen key with me. I am thinking about swapping them out.

Attachments

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
put a cork in it!

hey man- nice rig with cool upgrades. i like your creative computer mount. looks sani!
as for the big holes, just find something you can "cork" them with. like a piece of cork!
it would be a shame to get rid of them for that reason alone. they are a really bulletproof setup, esp with that sweet Boone ring. :cool:
don't cut off your nose just to spite your face.
let us know when you are in Asheville next.
OGG

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just talking about losing the bolts

I thought about throwing some solid eights in there. I don't relish the idea of carrying a fat 10mm with me in my Camelbak. Granted, I could make sure they are snug before I ride.
Maybe I can get used to the holes. I was suprised to see that inside the largest hole in the PW EBB there was a hole drilled all the way through. This would allow more water/muck into the shell(the gap in the shell lets some in already). That gives in direct access to the set screws. Is this a problem? I don't know. I change gears for mtn/local/racing so I get the opportunity to clean and lube often.
I probably won't be back in Pisgah till the Death March in May. Then I won't be able to go back till some time in June. I have the Burn 24 hour race taking up my time till then.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
teamdicky said:
I thought about throwing some solid eights in there. I don't relish the idea of carrying a fat 10mm with me in my Camelbak. Granted, I could make sure they are snug before I ride.
Maybe I can get used to the holes. I was suprised to see that inside the largest hole in the PW EBB there was a hole drilled all the way through. This would allow more water/muck into the shell(the gap in the shell lets some in already). That gives in direct access to the set screws. Is this a problem? I don't know. I change gears for mtn/local/racing so I get the opportunity to clean and lube often.
I probably won't be back in Pisgah till the Death March in May. Then I won't be able to go back till some time in June. I have the Burn 24 hour race taking up my time till then.
i hear ya' about carrying a hex wrench the size of a billy club. but at least you can use it to fend off the vicious trail gnomes that try to bite through your calves as you pedal by. :D
how often do your crank bolts come lose? are there alternative, solid 8mm bolts you can use? that would be cool (except with the weight weenies, hahaha).

i am hoping the Bushnell expanding style EBB in my Walworks will be a bit more impervious to the elements, but regular maintanance is always a good practice anyhow.

guess we'll see you at the Death March. good luck at the Burn- i am choosing to solo the 12 hrs at Tsali instead...
OGG

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Question about that Phill Wood EBB, I have a Colonel SS that’s about three years old. My EBB insert is oxidized (corroded) and getting hard to turn. I was about to get it touch with Dean for a replacement but I like the idea of the Phill a lot better. Did the Phill EBB fit your shell perfectly? Who did you buy it from?

Thanks

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Info on PW

I got it through webcyclery. It was a bit pricey at $95, but it saved some weight and it looks good. I had noticed some oxidation on my Dean EBB also. It fit perfectly, and as an aesthetic benefit, the black color makes gap between the shell/EBB less obvious. I have some 8mm bolts in a pair of Strongarms that I might swap out. I know what you mean about cranks loosening on the trail. It's just that when I go on big rides I like to think that I am carry anything I might need.

Yeah, I am doing TransRockies on a SS. I tried to find a partner when I got back from Costa Rica, but nobody was interested in doing it in '05. A few months later Nat Pellman was stalking around MTBR looking for a SS partner so I jumped on board. I am pretty stoked. I wish I had a bigger sense of adventure and a job I could leave for a month. The Continental Divide Race starts on my birthday this year. I believe there are a couple SS's signed up already.

·
being is
286 Posts
cranks

I've got those creaks, er, cranks too. That is, until I replace them w/ some of the newer outboard bearing XTs. Spider interface is an excellent noise maker. Now they make noise through almost the whole pedal circle. I'm going w/ something that has no spider-arm connection (need all one piece deal).

But you'll be good for a while. Mine waited a year to start broadcasting.

·
SS Chimp
525 Posts
Dean EBB insert...

make sure to measure your current ebb insert. I have, and will soon not have :D, a dean ss and the ebb shell is just a hair smaller than the standard size. Dean told me it has an OD of 54.5mm but it is more like 54.3 so standard replacements don't fit. Just another bump in the soon to be ended Dean experience.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had heard that.

Some people had problems, some didn't. I had the previous XT's for years(with the press-on spider), and I had no problems. I ran the same BB for years. I figured they were only $125 shipped and the rings are fetching close to $60(w/days to go) as we speak on ebay. It was a no brainer choice for me. I already had the BB.
The Deus crank failed on me, and that was with proper installation. I am going to shy away from outboard for awhile. The XT was too pricey and the Hone/LX kinda heavy. I thought about a mega-quad isis, but this was just easier.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's odd.

32x18 said:
make sure to measure your current ebb insert. I have, and will soon not have :D, a dean ss and the ebb shell is just a hair smaller than the standard size. Dean told me it has an OD of 54.5mm but it is more like 54.3 so standard replacements don't fit. Just another bump in the soon to be ended Dean experience.
I assumed they were the same size so I went ahead and ordered it. As you can see in the pic it went right in. No tighter/looser than the original. Dumb luck? I don't know, but I am glad it worked out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.