Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
If you think you can
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering some other people's opinions on which might be better. An 05 66 RC for $350 or an 06 or 07 66Rc2x for either $500 or $600? I have heard that the older ones were still pretty good forks.

Thanks.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I won't swear to this, but didn't the production source or other important manufacturing change occur for the '07 models? The '05's were solid, but I believe they were on the porky side with a tall A-to-C height. I'm thinking the '06 models were some of the most reliable models for the most part. It seems just about every variant over the years has had a wart or two.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
In addition to the 05s being much taller than the 06s/07s, the damping improved a lot in 06. I ran an 05 888 and Z1, and neither one had enough high-speed compression damping (even running 10-15wt oil at max height and the 888 Works compression sleeve at max). My 06 888rc2x and 66rc2x both have excellent damping and adjustability.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have been racing on the 05 66RC for two years now & beleive me they are bomb proof & very reliable.
I have just got hold of an 06 66RC2x and it seems like the adjustability it a little better although it will take a bit to get properly dialed in.
It feels as though it has softer springs in it as well.
All up the 06 model seems better due to the lower ride height. Much better for cournering and racing all round I guess.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
TNC said:
I won't swear to this, but didn't the production source or other important manufacturing change occur for the '07 models? The '05's were solid, but I believe they were on the porky side with a tall A-to-C height. I'm thinking the '06 models were some of the most reliable models for the most part. It seems just about every variant over the years has had a wart or two.
Yep TNC, I agree 05's were/are solid. They are tall and are very good dh forks 'specially for steep stuff. I have an 06 66sl that most people seem to have nightmares out of, but mine is/has been great....but then like the venerable TNC thundered off of th' mountain, "they's all had or got a wart or two scattered through out they lines".

·
Registered
569 Posts
I picked up an '07 66rc2x a while back and it is very impressive so far. Extremely smooth and adjustable. Better small bump than my van 36...actually feels pretty similar to my fox40. Feels much better than my wife's '07 66sl1ATA but also a lot heavier.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
GaryM said:
I picked up an '07 66rc2x a while back and it is very impressive so far. Extremely smooth and adjustable. Better small bump than my van 36...actually feels pretty similar to my fox40. Feels much better than my wife's '07 66sl1ATA but also a lot heavier.
You really have to put some effort into setting up, (not sayin' you didn't), the 66sl's to get them Zokie buttery smooth. My 06 66sl is 98% as buttery as my 05 66rc.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The '07 is a way different animal than the '06 was...and not better either. I have the PAR piston removed which was the only way I was able to get decent performance out of it for a lightweigth rider like my wife. Don't get me wrong, it is still a very good performing fork but just not as good as the rc2x IMO.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
GaryM said:
The '07 is a way different animal than the '06 was...and not better either. I have the PAR piston removed which was the only way I was able to get decent performance out of it for a lightweigth rider like my wife. Don't get me wrong, it is still a very good performing fork but just not as good as the rc2x IMO.
agreed. Having had both the '06 and '07 66sl and sl ata, there is night and day difference between them. The best thing anyone can do with the '07 sl model is to turn it into and RC2X. :cool:

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
After re-reading the OP; 05 66 = better dh fork. 06 66 = better all round fork, but not quite as good as 05 for dh. Reason - 05's had the taller crowns and taller axle to crown height and will tend to flop side to side on slack ht angles more so than the 06's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.