Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Sorry if this question has been covered before, but I couldn't find an answer by searching.

I bought a mint condition 2011 Fox 36 FIT RLC Kashima 26" 160mm tapered fork (white with QR20 dropouts) but am unsure of the maintenance history on it. It's smooth, and shows no wear marks on the Kashima stanchions. After a couple of rides, there are dark oily rings pushed over the wiper lips after the fork compresses, kind of like the travel indicator o-ring. If it's normal for some oil to come up past the wipers, maybe it's just the old oil that has turned dark by now. Even through the OE black SKF seals "look" fine I figure it's time for a service and wiper/seal change for peace of mind.

I know the 36 wiper design changed in 2015 to the flangeless version, but other than that (and the requirement for a seal driver tool) are these flangeless wipers dimensionally correct to fit the older 36 forks? I'm asking because the Enduro Hy-Glide wipers on RWC are listed as "FOX 36 (ALL)".
Or am I destined to hunt down the flanged wipers? I'm not really a fan of the green color of the flanged SKF wipers, but if there's no other flanged alternatives I don't really have a choice.
Has anyone try the ARI/Ariette seals from RWC? These do list different model wipers for flanged and no flange 36 forks.

Cheers,
Roman

·
otb club member
3,052 Posts
JohnnyC7 is correct of course just wanted to elaborate that the seal driver you mentioned may be useful for several reasons because, not only is great for proper alignment, and absolutely necessary for some of the very tight flangeless wipers, but it also correct sets the depth of the flangeless wipers. Regarding the ARI seals you asked about, you could use either one (flanged or flangeless 36). The flanged would likely go in easier and you know when they are the proper depth because the flange is seated in its recess. So, if you were hesitant to buy a seal press tool, the flanged ARI seal kit would be the best alternative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.