Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I'm at your mercy yet again. My 1989 Specialized Hard Rock Comp rear hub is in need of a service. Having never taken apart a hub before, of course I tore right into it. I was mostly curious as to whether or not I could remove the threaded steel bolt/nuts and replace it with a skewer.
Feel free to laugh...this is a rather humbling learning curve.
After picking up all the bearings off the floor, I came to the conclusion that if I want a skewer QR I'll need a new hub. This, and the fact that after putting it all together again I now hear some friction-type noises when I spin the wheel. I haven't ridden it yet, so I assume that someone who knows what they're doing can reassemble the hub correctly. But...I'd still like to both upgrade to a better hub and have the QR skewer.
I don't want to change my 6-speed freewheel, which I'm perfectly happy with and it's still in excellent condition.
I'm not sure what to look for when shopping Ebay for either a complete rear wheel or just a rear hub. A complete rear wheel would be fine, as I wouldn't mind upgrading the Araya rim to an old Mavic or something similar, but will my existing freewheel fit on any rear hub?
Thanks for any help you can give, and if I need to provide any other info let me know and I'll do the best I can.
-Paul

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Wow this post is probably better in the mechanic thread. Regarding the QR do you have a hollow QR axle to replace the solid one with? That's the first thing you need. 88 ....is it a 6speed or 7 speed rear end? What's the spacing between the rear dropouts 130mm or 135mm?

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Likely you will need a qr axle - it has a hole in it. Should be cheap. Replace your bearings too. Before spending the cash though, look at the bearing surfaces on your hub. If they show scoring or uneven bearing path, time to replace your hub. Rear wheels should be available cheap - $30 or less for a decent one.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
OK...so you need to take the wheel to your local shop and then you have a couple of options...

a) Ask them to remove the freewheel for you and get you some 1/4 inch bearings for the hub (18 balls) and a QR axle and cone/locknut set that will fit your hub. In general, those rear hubs are pretty generic alloy freewheel hubs that pretty much all accept the same axles and cones. You then need some grease, a 15mm cone wrench and a 17mm wrench. Then you need to grease the bearings/surfaces/etc and assemble the hub and then install the freewheel.

b) Take your wheel to the shop, have them remove the freewheel and open the hub up and inspect the bearing surfaces for you. Then you could have them replace the axle, bearings and overhaul the hub all at the same time. Assuming the bearing surfaces inside the hub are ok, the parts for this may cost you about $20-25. The labor, depending on the shop, should run you about $12-15. Sometimes they'll charge more, depending on your area's economy.

c) Price out a full on replacement wheel. Freewheel alloy rear wheels tend to price out at about $30-40. Current wheels with freewheel hubs tend to be low end. Ask your local shop if they have some older stock, and you may find a double walled rim with a freewheel hub for a decent price.

Above all, especially the way the economy is going lately, please spend your dollars at your local shop. They're hard working folks and are the keepers of all this knowledge that you don't need to log onto an internet forum to get, and you get it in person!

It;s great to build a local relationship with a bike mechanic. You'll find most of the experienced guys will have a soft spot for older, vintage stuff! their careeres are built on keeping this stuff running.

Hell, I work on bikes 9 hours a day, then come home and type stuff on the Internet about bikes and maintain my fleet of 17 bikes in my spare time...

If you lived in Spokane, I could get the wheel going for you in no time, and be happy to do it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.