Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I have.... A 2001 model Trek 4300.... My first bike that's not from a yard sale or Wal-Mart...

2001 Trek 4300; Complete specs

looking to to either get new forks or something,......
Have absolutely no idea what I am looking for when it comes to sizes at all! 26" tire is about all I know, small frame... Has the stock forks on it the Sync 266, 2.5" travel... I am not looking for anything extravagant, just know that the adjustment knob on this one is stuck...

What are the sizes I need to know to get replacements??? Big Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
You need a fork with a 1 1/8" threadless steerer and v-brake mounts. Your stock fork has much less travel than what is available today, but if you get a 80mm travel fork, that shouldn't throw off the handling too much. Rock Shox XC28 is probably your cheapest option for a decent new fork. RST or Suntour probably has an inexpensive model that would work too, but I'd stick with Rock Shox myself. If you are a big heavy guy (like me), it would be worth it to splurge for a XC32 - it has thicker, stiffer fork legs. Manitou makes a good fork too, but a little more expensive than Rock Shox. Other brands you might have heard about - Fox, X-Fusion, DT, etc - don't make v-brake compatible forks anymore.

V-brakes used to be popular with racer types because they light weight and (generally) fuss-free. But advances in disc brakes have pretty much killed off the v-brake market for serious mountain bikers, with the exception of retrogrouches (like me) and certain tourers going to remote areas who value simplicity.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I thought the XC30 was the one with the canti bosses? The listing for the XC32 on Rockshox website doesn't show an option for canti's (Lowers Magnesium, 9mm QR, post disc mount), only the XC28/30's (Lowers - Magnesium, 9mm QR, post disc mount, boss or disc specific, 26" Lower Leg Option: Boss or disc specific)
Either fork would be a huge improvement on that Sync you currently have.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The number behind the "XC" refers to the staunchon (fork leg) size - XC28=28mm, XC30=30mm, XC32=32mm. It has nothing to do with brake compatibility or anything else. All three used to be available with or without v-brake/canti mounts. If they are not anymore, well too bad. :nonod: (cue Queen - Dah Dah Dah Another One Bites the Dust!) The OP could probably find a 2013 or even 2012 model on-line somewhere. My Inbred has a 2012 RS Recon (step up from XC) with v-brake mounts, so there should be something available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a bunch for the info!
Next question, how long should the steerer be? Or, is that usually a standard length to the travel?
I'm looking at getting 80mm, with canti mounts, non threaded steerer. Are these all the specs that I need to know to grab up a set? Been browsing eBay for the most part, but as normal, for my price range, I'll find 2 of the 3 specific things needed!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Remove the old fork and measure the steerer tube length, the new fork needs to be the same length, it is specific to the bikes head tube length, not how much travel the fork has. You will need to check the specs on any 2nd hand fork you are looking at. A longer steerer than you currently have can be cut down to fit, but don't get one that has a shorter steerer than you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot.... I got the knob on top of these to finally turn. It was maxed out on the + side. Good news is that I can tell an obvious difference in the adjustment so it's working. I'll still keep an eye out for replacements, but the tough part has been finding some used or under more than the bike cost me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts