Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- I'm fairly new to riding and my question is, how do I get over being scared of just getting out there. I always have the best laid plans and then when it comes time to go I just start thinking of "what if I get in someone's way" or "what if I get on the wrong trail and can't ride it" and things like that. Or worse, I am just afraid of looking like an idiot- you know, not having the right shoes, shorts, or whatever. I've had some bad run-ins with local riders before so maybe I'm just gun shy. I welcome any suggestions. I post this in the women's forum in hopes of some understanding :)
Thanks.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Welcome! :)

Forget about the "what if what if what if." You have just as much of a right to be out there as the hammerheads. Keep that in mind.

Be aware of proper trail etiquitte, such as:

- If it's a one-way trail, be sure you're going in the right direction.

- If it's two-way, the person climbing UP the hill has right-of-way.

- If somebody wants to pass, move over to the right when you're ready and allow them to pass.

- If you encounter a horseback rider, dismount from the bike and walk past horse and rider.

- If you encounter hikers, be polite, say "Hi," and try not to startle them.

I think about years ago when I started, on my rigid bike, no helmet, ripped jeans, not even a ponytail. I'd stand to the side of the trail, incredulous as hammerheads zipped past. I was like, "How the HECK can they go so fast over this trail?!" :confused:

Remember, even as you get better at it, mountain biking is all about looking like a dork when you crash/biff/dab/eat dirt/get muddy etc. It's part of the sport, so get used to it! :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bienvenue! Welcome! It doesn't matter, what you ride, where you ride, how you ride, or what you wear when you ride, as long as you ride, that's all that counts. :)

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Greetings!

Christine has some good advice.

I might add, you may want look for local womens' clubs or riding groups that will take you under their wing. Often times bike shops know of these local groups. I think there are some people that post here from your area that may be able to recommend some groups.

Most of all, you just need to get on your bike. Its the best way to gain confidence. In general, if you're courteous to others they'll be courteous to you. Though, there's always a few knuckeheads out there.

Enjoy mtb-ing.

FRC

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
Hi Lesley and Welcome

Lesley said:
Hi all- I'm fairly new to riding and my question is, how do I get over being scared of just getting out there. I always have the best laid plans and then when it comes time to go I just start thinking of "what if I get in someone's way" or "what if I get on the wrong trail and can't ride it" and things like that. Or worse, I am just afraid of looking like an idiot- you know, not having the right shoes, shorts, or whatever. I've had some bad run-ins with local riders before so maybe I'm just gun shy. I welcome any suggestions. I post this in the women's forum in hopes of some understanding :)
Thanks.
If I might suggest, Check out this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=91822

as it may have some of the basic information that you are looking for, and so many have answered it so well.
It is unfortunate that some of your introduction to MTB community has been unpleasant as a newbie. Two things about this:
- you are not alone. I think more than a few of us have had this "initiation." Sometimes people just don't remember what it's like to start out, so they lose patience quickly.
- it has been my anecdotal experience on the trail, that most mountain bikers are quite nice.
Christine's post is spot on. Really good advice.

Good luck, and get out there with a woman that can show you the ropes, if you can.

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
You can walk your bike

If there is some technical section that you can not do, just push your bike past that part and hop back on. One day (preferably when not alone) you will just decide to conquer it.
I have never had anyone rudely pass me on the trail. They always say coming through on the left and wait till I get to a spot I can get over at.
Just have fun. That is what it is all about!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
I scared the crap out of a hiker today by accident.. It went like this: I was on a flat section of trail just hammering, saw the hiker in the distance, slowed waaaaay down, and as I got closer I said, "hello" in a loud cheery voice. She jumped about 3 feet in the air. I was trying to be courteous, really I was!!!!... I just startled her out of whatever reverie she was in. Turns out I know her, we had a good laugh.

Lesely, welcome aboard. Lots of good advice here. Just get out there and ride, don't worry about what others think. The other thread that was linked to by Kallisti has lots of good advice.

formica

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Christine said:
Remember, even as you get better at it, mountain biking is all about looking like a dork when you crash/biff/dab/eat dirt/get muddy etc. It's part of the sport, so get used to it! :p
LOL! That is my new favorite quote! After 21 years in the dirt I am an expert dork. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for the advice/encouragement. It is really motivating to be reminded that everyone starts somewhere. I knew posting here would help and it's so much better coming from you ladies than the BF (hopefully that doesn't sound mean)!
Thanks again!
:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm just going to echo everyone else's sentiments... welcome! Hi! Great to have you here! Good luck!
That said, my advice is know your limits, but push them. Try something every time you ride that scares you, even just a little bit. Try riding over a curb, down 3 stairs, then 5, then a whole flight. Try rolling over a stick, then a log, then a tree. There are all sorts of little challenges out there that you can lay out for yourself.
I found that being around people who were amazing riders but understanding people was good for me, because I pushed myself beyond my limits wanting to keep up, not feeling like I had to.
And yes, you'll get bruised and bloodied, but if you ride smart and keep a level head it'll all be superficial and you'll have some great war stories.
I'm sure we'll see you back here soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.