Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have hit the trails about 5 times the past two weeks. I haven't ridden a bike in approx 20 years. I'm 6'1 215lb and looking at building my first bike. I've got several friends who introduced me and allowed me to ride there bikes. I'll have all the help I need to make the build but just have to get the parts to make it happen. I'm kind of independent but not too prideful to ask for help on things I have no clue on. Ive bee able to ride a inner, specialized, cannondale and trek all in a 29". Also rode a 26" something and that is out of the question. Any suggestions on anything is much appreciated. Probably going with hard tail at this point. Budget is somewhere between 1-2k. Thanks and can't wait to ride again. Had a vasectomy done two days ago so maybe I can get one built in two weeks or less.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Buy the best you can now and it will save you during the future.
I would recommend a Trek Superfly 9.6. With a 15% off discount from Trek Fest(you still have to negotiate for it) and 3% more off for cash you can hit your 2k budget. The carbon frame is lifetime warrantied and will be good no matter how far you progress. The rear compliance is exceptional and the components are good choices with room for later upgrades. 19.5 or 21 are likely the two sizes to try. I'm almost 5'11"/32 inseam and take a 18.5.
I don't think you can beat this with a build.

Demo day in Athens May 23th.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
With a $1-2K budget, don't build a bike, buy a bike. You may think you can build a bike with better components cheaper, but you're fighting the buying power of huge manufacturers vs you buying one part. Look at Giant's 29ers, some of the price point's there are quite good. Ride before you buy. You can't base chemistry on brand names or looks.

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
I agree, definitely buy a bike, especially for your first one. I just bought a bike for $1900 that would have easily cost $2400-2500 to build.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Took me 6 months to build a bike with a max budget of 2K and still getting the best I could find within that budget. Buying parts at retail is just not worth it, waiting for a sale or used at what you think is reasonable takes alot of time.
Best value for me are Devinci, then Norco, (I'm in Canada) and Airborne, then Marin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts