Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about trying my hand at endurance racing this year. I am an experienced rider who loves to do long all-day epic rides but have never raced before. I live in San Diego and would like to compete in several races this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be good events for me to compete in that are relatively close to SoCal? Also, does anyone know of any good sources for training and competition information? Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ditto the ride424.com site. Close to home, there's the Adrenalin races in Idyllwild and the Granny Gear race in Temecula. There are also good 12-hour races at Big Bear and in Orange County.

One of the best newbie 24-hour solo courses is Laguna Seca. Not technical, and very fast so it doesn't beat you up like Idyllwild does. The pit area is right at the end of the lap allowing for good support.

R

Pinch said:
I am thinking about trying my hand at endurance racing this year. I am an experienced rider who loves to do long all-day epic rides but have never raced before. I live in San Diego and would like to compete in several races this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be good events for me to compete in that are relatively close to SoCal? Also, does anyone know of any good sources for training and competition information? Thanks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
well, hopefully they are all fun races. why would you do it if it wasn't just for fun. if you aren't a pro, or an aspiring pro, what's the purpose of being, "super serious have no fun"? I've done OK at a few races and bombed some races and you know what, I had a great time at both of them. As for the money, you can usually pre register and save some money....

·
Registered
60 Posts
so what ur saying...

basically i should just go for it? im just wondering if there are more non-competitive endurance races because im not fast at all and i dont want to anger a bunch of guys wanting to race by sitting there twee-diddling my way along

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
No worries!

gothrashers04 said:
basically i should just go for it? im just wondering if there are more non-competitive endurance races because im not fast at all and i dont want to anger a bunch of guys wanting to race by sitting there twee-diddling my way along
It doesn't really matter what speed you go in long events. In most endurance events there is a strong grass roots, brotherly love kind of vibe going on, especially 24s. Those that want to race fast will, and know how to pass...there are many reasons to do long events, and if you have any of them, give it a shot! They are a blast if you are prepared.

BTW, entry fees are by far the smallest cost associated with races...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.