Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to start DH for a while but don't know where to start. Rode a couple times in Big Bear before they closed it. Live in Riverside and am willing to drive an hour or so for a good riding area. Don't know any places to ride. Heard of Sycamore Canyon and Box Springs but haven't been on the trail yet.
I was looking at Giant's new Faith 2, DH Comp, Norco VPS Shore, Yeti 575. Want to spend under 2000 for everything but can get the bike at cost. Plus have equipment from motocycle like helmet, knee/shin pads, glove, camel pak, etc. I am 6'-0" and weigh 170. Want something that can go to Mammoth, Whistler, etc. but also ride local trails.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Where to start: Find a good race schedule. Check out
http://www.nobrakes-racing.com/2005/Race_Schedule_2005.htm

Race this weekend: Firestone Walker (DH on Sat)
http://www.ridesb.com/firestone.htm
Also, Fontana on Apr 30-May 1 http://www.southridgeusa.com/
Come out for practice at Fontana. :) Fontana is good because for about $5, you have an all-day shuttle. You don't have to sign up to race.

Places to ride: More important is people to show you places to ride. You meet other riders at races, or online, or at the LBS. When I moved here last Feb, I went to all the local bike shops and asked about shop rides, about who races, and who rides... People are happy to help out or introduce you to others. :)

As for a bike, when I started DHing, I bought a used bike here on MTBR. Be sure you investigate who is selling you the bike - what kind of rider has been possibly abusing the equipment you're about to trust your life with? Do you want a bike you can pedal? Or one that will be strictly for DH racing? Fontana is good with only a 5" or 6" travel bike that you can pedal. Your riding ability and style will be the biggest factors in choosing the bike that's best for you. The first time I heard this, I thought, "But I have no style... I just ride." Thankfully I bought a bike that taught me how to ride. Now I have a style. ;)

At 6'0" and 170, you can ride almost anything (whereas if you were over 6'2" and 240, you'd be limited). Of the three you mention, if you're looking for a good climbing and descending bike, I'd go with a Yeti. They're well built, handle well, and the guys at Yeti are super to work with. If you want 6" or 7" of travel, or want something that will protect you going over big drops, the 575 (at recommended 130mm / 5" travel) might not be for you.

Good luck!
-sunny :cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you have a bike right now? Just like sunnyracegirl said, go talk to some people at your LBS and see if they have a shop dh team. Try circle city cyclery or Riverside cyclery. They might even be able to hook you up with a good deal on a bike if you are on the team.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No bike

Right now I don't have a bike. My dad knows someone that can get me any bike for what the dealer pays. For the first couple of months I will just get used to riding the bike before I start racing. I haven't rode a bike for over 2 yrs. But I think that I will pick up on it quick and don't want to out grow my bike. And by out grow I mean that I don't want to buy a bike that can't keep up with my learning curve. I am use to have a 45 lbs. BMX bike but I could just thrash it and nothing would happen. I hope to get the same type of bike. I would rather have a bike that doesn't handle as well as some others but can withstand anything that my body can. Is their any other places a little closer to Riverside that have DH style riding. I am willing to pay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.