Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie with new bike: The following list of components, What components need to be improved as a priority...what to improve for considerations? Thanks!!

'04 "The North Face"/Iron Horse Hollowpoint with the following:

-Rear Shock: Fox Vanilla w/adjustable rebound
-Fork: Marzocchi EXR Comp
-Handlebar: TRUVATIV XR (XC-AM)
-Stem: TRUVATIV XR 5 DEGREE
-Headset: AHEADSET Cane Creek, THREADLESS
-Bottom Bracket: TRUVATIV ISIS SL
-Crank: TRUVATIV FIVE D
-Rings: 44/32/22
-Pedal: SHIMANO XC Platforms
-Chain: HG73
-Seat: WTB ROCKET V CARBONARA W/CROMO RAIL
-Seat Post: ALLOY MICRO ADJUST, 27.0MM
-Front Hub: ALLOY, SEALED BEARING, 32H
-Rear Hub: ALLOY , SEALED BEARING, 32H
-Front Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE
-Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE LX
-Shifter: SHIMANO DEORE
-Brakes: HAYES MX1 6" Mechanical
-Brake Lever: AVID SPEED DIAL 5
-Rim: WTB SpeedDisc DISC
-Spoke: DB 14/15G FORGED BLACK STAINLESS
-Tires: WTB Weirwolf

Thanks-again!!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Don't worry about it.

unless you got serious upgrade-itis. If anything, do some personalizing/tweaking, like tires, lightweight innertubes, grips, replace the stock rimstrips with 3m strapping tape under electrical tape to save some rotating weight, etc.

That thing comes with good stock parts, so unless you break anything or something isn't performing the way you like, don't loose sleep over it.

Spend your dough on a good set of shoes, helmet, clothes, waterpack, etc.

Oh, you may wanna take off the reflectors.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, very please with the bike, I paid $999.00 at Galyan's. Have a little $$ left over for upgrades if necessary... :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
my two cents

Generally, if a saddle or handlebar bend is causing discomfort, Id replace that pronto.

Other than that, I think suspension and wheels/tires are the places where upgrades make the biggest difference.

Stuff like stems and seatposts are probably the least worthy of upgrading.. (Tho I do love my Thomson stuff)

·
Ride on
639 Posts
clipless shoes, pedals

I would get clipless shoes and pedals. Like World says I would replace the saddle if it isn't comfortable, and the grips as well. Otherwise you're good to go.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
1st - the fork. EXRs suck. they shouldn't even bear the Marzocchi name. I have been a Marzocchi faithful for many years, but recently decided to ditch my cheapo MXC for a new fork, didn't want to spent much $$, so I wound up deciding to get a Manitou Minute 1:00, and I recently got one for about $380 new in box on eBay. Much better overall fork, hard to beat for the money. If you can find a Fox Vanilla or Marzocchi Marathon S for $380 or less, they might be a bit better overall.

2d - is the rear Vanilla a ProPedal model? if not, consider sending it to Push Industries for revalving to provide MUCH better performance. I think it takes a couple of weeks w/o your bike, though... unless you can afford a spare rear shock.

aside from those two things, the bike sounds pretty well-equipped. nothing else that I'd swap out except for grips and/or saddle, and I'd do that ONLY if they were uncomfortable.

the fork and shock will be critical for optimizing the Hollowpoint. it's an excellent design, and the Vanilla R will work fine in the rear if it's a ProPedal or a PUSH-modified Vanilla R, but you really should have a good fork on there to complement the frame's excellent suspension design. the Marz EXR is not that fork, it's a long way from it.

the only final thing I'd consider is swapping the Hayes mech discs for some Avid Mechs. the Avids are more consistent in feel, more powerful, and IMHO more durable than the Hayes mechs.

·
I need more time
157 Posts
Ok i've just got to know.

I've always wondered.

What difference does 50g make on a bike. People seem way to fussy to me. OK if your bike is 50lbs then maybe its too heavy but i dont think i'd ever need to loose 50, 100, or 500 grams in such a hurry. I'm sure if u could get 100 grams off every part you bike would be a good bit lighter tho. OH more curiosity, why is roating weight much worse than just weight.

Cheers

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
gram-counting is just a hobby for some extremely obsessive bike geeks

I'm not into it at all, my terrain won't allow ultralight or even typical XC parts to last very long. gram counting is silly. gram conscious buying decisions are not, though. if you can get equally strong for similar price at lighter weight, why not get the lighter?

as to static mass & rotating mass, obsessing over static mass is silly because it's just as easy to remove the static mass from your body, camelbak, etc.

rotating mass is a different story. the heavier your rims/tubes/rimstrips/tires, the harder it is to get them moving in the first place, and the harder it is to keep them moving and/or accelerate them. so it makes sense to use the lightest rims, rim strips, tubes and tires that you can comfortably ride without worry of failure.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I would agree with the poster who said replace the fork. Look for those closeouts on the 2003 Maintou Black forks for $175-225. This would be a significant step up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
room for one more on the fork wagon.?

I have to agree that if you are looking to make upgrades, ditching EXR Comp would be a good place to start. I recently put a used one that I got cheap on my SS hardtail, and I am already looking to replace it. Seat and bars are a preference thing, as well as longer/shorter stems.
Sounds like a pretty nice ride. Treat her well, ride her lots.
Good luck.

mb

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help, rear shock is a Vanilla R Pro-Pedal (whew!), working on the brake upgrade (Avid disc's), will start looking for the front fork. Already changed the grips to ODI locking Rogue. Seat is comfortable. Thanks-again to all!

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
I would replace the front derailleur to an XTR. The front derailleur is by far the most important component on the bike. I mean, think about when you are cruising along, and need to get it into the big ring. Yeah, it probably will take a second or so with that sheisty Deore. Change the front derailleur to an XTR ASAP.

·
Chatham NJ
477 Posts
oh, and something to think about when your loosing weight off your frame, like handlebars, seat, seatpost etc etc. If you ever carry a waterbottle, a liter of water is about 2.5lbs, so that will easily negate any weightsavings you made.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
fork?

bungyfish said:
I have to agree that if you are looking to make upgrades, ditching EXR Comp would be a good place to start. I recently put a used one that I got cheap on my SS hardtail, and I am already looking to replace it.
mb

I have a 2002 EXR Air 80mm on my bike and sure it's not the best fork, but i like it, and the 02 got good reviews. Now, nobody seems to like the 04 EXR's. :confused: What did they change? Or is it that everything else is just so much better than the EXR now?

·
Registered
56 Posts
sonyisdope said:
I would replace the front derailleur to an XTR. The front derailleur is by far the most important component on the bike. Change the front derailleur to an XTR ASAP.
I agree that the fd is a worthwhile upgrade, but XTR is a little overkill. Especially when the rest of the drivetrain is Deore/LX. An XT front derailleur would make much more sense.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
trbogti said:
I agree that the fd is a worthwhile upgrade, but XTR is a little overkill. Especially when the rest of the drivetrain is Deore/LX. An XT front derailleur would make much more sense.
uhhh... BZZZZZZT! both of you are wrong!

no need to swap out EITHER derailleur. both work fine. stop making the derailleur such a "status object," it's only a chain mover, not an indicator of one's worth. I run Deore derailleurs on my FR bike because they're cheaper to replace. I don't care if they are near "bottom of the line." they shift fine.

don't get Shrub caught up in Upgrades For The Sake of Upgrading. that's a good way to spend lots of money for little to no performance return.

Shrub, if you end up riding in some rockier terrain, you might consider getting the very inexpensive Kenda Kinetics Stick-E 2.35 tires at $20 apiece. I'm running some on my FS XC rig and am very impressed with them. Nicer sidewalls and tread contact than the WeirWolf, for sure. But not enough to swap out the WeirWolfs if they're working fine for you now.

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
482 Posts
Whatever breaks first

Save your money for repairs and replacement of broken parts.
Things WILL break.
Enjoy your new bike.
She sounds like a beaut.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Burpee said:
I have a 2002 EXR Air 80mm on my bike and sure it's not the best fork, but i like it, and the 02 got good reviews. Now, nobody seems to like the 04 EXR's. What did they change? Or is it that everything else is just so much better than the EXR now?QUOTE]

What many people don't know is that there is two EXR models, one EXR comp and one EXR pro, and it's the comp that has gotten lousy reviews whereas the pro has gotten excellent ones.

Too bad you got the comp version :/

·
Registered
56 Posts
gonzostrike said:
no need to swap out EITHER derailleur. both work fine. stop making the derailleur such a "status object," it's only a chain mover, not an indicator of one's worth. don't get Shrub caught up in Upgrades For The Sake of Upgrading. that's a good way to spend lots of money for little to no performance return.
Wow. Who said anything about a "status object". Do you have some kind of chip on your shoulder? Having swapped from a Deore fd to an XT on my old bike, I can report that it did make a noticeable difference. And compared to most bike modifications, the fd is a relatively cheap upgrade.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
I was just kidding around! Just thrash it and wait for stuff to break. Take the money that you saved by not getting new parts and go buy lots of biking clothes, because that will probably benefit you more! As for the derailleur thing, yeah, its just status, no one has ever passed me on the trails and told me my bike sucked!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts