Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm turning 50 this year and after dabbling a little with racing last year, I'm hooked. It might be a mid life thing but I've always been very competitive with everything I do.

I never trained in the winter and payed the price at the beginning of Mtn bike season. Things are different this winter, I’ve been running 1/2 marathon distances but mostly really got into Skate skiing, awesome work out and great for building your core.

Anyway, this is where I’m at in terms of conditioning. I run 13.6 miles at a pace that takes me 2 hours and an ave heart rate of 150 bpm at a max of 170.
As for my skate skiing, I do 17 miles, 2.5 hours at an ave HR of 165 bpm, max 172.

I’ve been doing this type of base training since November 2-3x’s per week, plus some weights. I plan on joining a spinning class to substitute my skiing once the snow melts.

Since I can’t measure power I need to use my HR to help me tell how much effort I’m getting out of my workouts. I know some will disagree, but that’s all if got.

What should be my next step in my training quest? I’ve read the Training Bible but it seems too complicated and scheduled for my busy life right now.

I plan on racing in the Cat 2 class, but want to finish in the top 5 everytime.

Thanks for any advice

Mojo

·
Registered
560 Posts
"I plan on racing in the Cat 2 class, but want to finish in the top 5 everytime."

Thats a daunting task. Good luck though.

I'm telling you right now that the guys who finish top 5 in Cat 2, most of them have been logging 5-15 hrs a week on the bike all winter, and running does not necessarily translate to riding. I ride with a couple guys that are lighter than me that I can't even begin to keep up with distance or pacewise running, but they can't catch me on singletrack. Its a different realm.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I can't ride a bike in the midst of our winter season, and neither can my competition, so that evens us out except for indoor trainers. I can't push myself indoors like I can outdoors.

I won my first cat 2 race last year on my local Single track and have been finishing in the top 1/3 of everyother race I've been in, so I don't think I'm asking alot.

Mojo

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sounds like you have a gap between goals and motivation.

"Busy life right now..." Don't set yourself up to fail by getting all complicated, ride when you can and when you cannot...sounds like you got that part down.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeez guys, I didn't think the question and help I asked for was that difficult. For many of you seasoned racers and training gurus it's got to be a piece of cake.

I guess what I was looking for was the next step of training that would be suggested after the base, or lack of. Some sort of power training phase I would imagine.

I guess I will have to review the Training Bible.

Mojo

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
sound like you have a good base.
you'll want to start reading the building phase of friel's book.
start riding your bike/trainer at least once per week. that will give you the edge over your competition. i think the quote is, "...races are won during the winter...".
there is also a sticky at the top of this forum that has lots of links for training.
lots of info to digest...
when is your first race?

·
Registered
190 Posts
"What should be my next step in my training quest?"

If your ultimate quest is bike racing, I would begin transfering as much training emphasis as possible onto a bike. Road bike, mountain bike, trainer, spin class...you've gotta start cycling to develop cycling fitness. As others said, it sounds like you have a general fitness base going, which is great, but the specific fitness you want to focus on is cycling fitness. And that comes from putting in time on the bike.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,
What type of fittness riding are you talking about? More base building or power building?

Mojo

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mojo Man said:
Thanks guys,
What type of fittness riding are you talking about? More base building or power building?

Mojo
Hard to say...I would lean towards building a solid base of cycling fitness before going into higher intensity training on the bike...but then again, you may feel strong enough already to start adding strength and power workouts right now. There's always that fine line of not wanting to waste time, while not wanting to overtrain or cheat the proper adaptation process.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you want something simple, and you feel like you have a foundation, just focus on your 20 minute power. There are different ways to do it, but two or three 20 minute efforts at the highest sustainable power for the duration, with some recovery in between, will do the job.

Hit that kind of thing maybe twice a week and ride and recover as much as you can otherwise. It doesn't have to be complicated. In fact, it really shouldn't be.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
42t said:
If you want something simple, and you feel like you have a foundation, just focus on your 20 minute power. There are different ways to do it, but two or three 20 minute efforts at the highest sustainable power for the duration, with some recovery in between, will do the job.

Hit that kind of thing maybe twice a week and ride and recover as much as you can otherwise. It doesn't have to be complicated. In fact, it really shouldn't be.
Would this 20 minute power training be like hill climbing for 20 minute intervals?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mojo Man said:
Would this 20 minute power training be like hill climbing for 20 minute intervals?
Yes, it can be like that, but it doesn't necessarily have to be done while climbing.

·
Nervous Descender
717 Posts
Mojo Man said:
I'm turning 50 this year and after dabbling a little with racing last year, I'm hooked. It might be a mid life thing but I've always been very competitive with everything I do.

I never trained in the winter and payed the price at the beginning of Mtn bike season. Things are different this winter, I’ve been running 1/2 marathon distances but mostly really got into Skate skiing, awesome work out and great for building your core.

Anyway, this is where I’m at in terms of conditioning. I run 13.6 miles at a pace that takes me 2 hours and an ave heart rate of 150 bpm at a max of 170.
As for my skate skiing, I do 17 miles, 2.5 hours at an ave HR of 165 bpm, max 172.

I’ve been doing this type of base training since November 2-3x’s per week, plus some weights. I plan on joining a spinning class to substitute my skiing once the snow melts.

Since I can’t measure power I need to use my HR to help me tell how much effort I’m getting out of my workouts. I know some will disagree, but that’s all if got.

What should be my next step in my training quest? I’ve read the Training Bible but it seems too complicated and scheduled for my busy life right now.

I plan on racing in the Cat 2 class, but want to finish in the top 5 everytime.

Thanks for any advice

Mojo
Based on your age and heart rate, you have been doing most of your workouts at close to race pace intensity. While this will improve fitness to a point, you will eventually reach a point where you will improve no further as the workouts are not quite hard enough for training effect AND too hard to allow for sufficient recovery. You'll be training in no man's land.

Check this out:
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/heart_rate/heart_rate_zone_calculator_abcc_bcf.html

As far as interval sessions or structured training, it depends largely on your current fitness, race goals, and race schedule. Basically, workouts become more race-like in intensity as a key race approaches. Train your weaknesses.

FWIW, I did a lot of running last winter, including intense interval sessions and long runs up to 16 miles to prep for 5K races. In the spring, I was pretty fast at running, but my bike fitness suffered. I was fit, but not fit for the demands of mountain bike racing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts