Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
dust cloud
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm moving to Santa Clara for 4 months starting August 19th, and I was wondering if someone could answer me a few q's :)

Am I NorCal or SoCal? It seems like on the map I'm CenCal... ok that was weak.

What is the temperature like heading into December? Still plenty warm to ride?

Most importantly, how far am I from some great trails! I will have limited transportation during the week (re: my bike) and on weekends I _may_ be able to coerce an accomplice to lend me his car.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
Well you're pretty much in Norcal. We got plenty of trails, going from easy paved bike paths to some very technical trails with jumps, teeter-totters, and if you feel like driving we've got some ski resorts in the sierras you can shuttle :)

Weather wise, it can get pretty cool out here (relativly for us- (40s-50s) but last Christmas I rode for a few hours during the day in shorts & a tshirt There is a lot of MTBR guys around (There is like 6 within 5 miles of my house!) that you could probably get a ride from someone to help get to the trail.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Welcome to mtbr and Norcal riding.

Now stop using all caps when you post. (Oh, wait. That was someone else.)

The temperature is fine all year for riding. In December all you have to fear is rain, some trail closures, and mud, mud, mud.

Some trails should be accessible by bike, but as jorgemonkey said, keep posting, start meeting people and you should be able to get rides to the rides pretty frequently.

·
dust cloud
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Fear mud? Who fears mud hehe... The temperatures are fine too, I'm used to riding in the winter here (-15ish Celsius).

I ride mostly XC, but I love a fast downhill. I like mostly natural trails (no teeter-totters or anything like that), and I really like to go on longer rides, 50-60 miles or so.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
OT, Do you have a place to stay? I used to live in Santa Clara, and if you are looking for a single room, with somewhat cheap rent, I can recommend a place.

It may be hard to find dirt midweek without a car, but for example, I drive through Santa Clara before our thursday night ride, and many of us are carpool friendly.

Our group rides rarely hit the 40-50 mile range, but they are still worth joining to see the best trails.

·
Registered
648 Posts
vostok4 said:
I really like to go on longer rides, 50-60 miles or so.
Yikes, that's what I call an epic ride.

Welcome to NorCal (or soon to be)! There are great XC trails around here, and as previously mentioned we are carpool friendly ;)

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,457 Posts
vostok4 said:
I ride mostly XC, but I love a fast downhill. I like mostly natural trails (no teeter-totters or anything like that), and I really like to go on longer rides, 50-60 miles or so.
Be interesting to hear your comments after you arrive and see what we have. Many people who come from out East are surprised by the hills we have here. 1000 foot plus climbs are not unusual here. Many people seem to end up going shorter distances here than wherever they came from, but more climbing.

For example - one of the closer dirt to you in Santa Clara would be the Canyon Trail and the various offshoots found off of Stevens Creek Road. I have done 60 mile rides there as part of some epics I used to put together - they were 60 miles and over 10,000 feet of climbing.

Another example is Skeggs point/ECdM. I've done 3 hour rides there, finish exhausted and ready to ride the couch for the rest of the day, only to find someone check their computer and say we only rode a bit over 10 miles.

·
dust cloud
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone, I can't wait to get there!

grrrah: I'm staying in the Greenpoint Apartments with some friends that are also flying down for work, and rent is cheap :D (Well, of course it will be when you cram 4 people into a two bedroom apartment hehe... the joys of being a student).

We will see how much work I have to do midweek... I don't know how busy I'll be, but weekends I'd be happy to join along if I can.

singlespeed, I know that there you got the lower Rockies, I've ridden out in Alberta one summer and I'm used to some crazy elevation changes, I love the mountains. Sadly, where I live (not far from Toronto, ON) there are a few places worth it going biking within a 5-6 hour drive, for example in one park, Algonquin, there is a nice 40km loop that starts with a large climb, then some level'ish riding, then a awesome 6km downhill, and generally when I get out there we will do two loops, sometimes three with a break up top.

If I hit the mountains and such elevations changes, I don't see me lasting that long as I would here, but my goal is to build up to that level :)

Oh, anyone looking into selling their XC hardtail they may not be using :) I'm going to be purchasing a bike in SC, as what I have now is good, but I want to go to disc brakes (I ride a Trek 9200 carbon, old but fun nonetheless).

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Welcome

When moving from NJ to CA, I found it was more important to have an altimeter than an odometer. Whereas I never saw a 300' hill in NJ, and was killed by the hills here, I now routinely climb 3000' hills and found I really enjoy the climbing for reasons I don't fully understand.

My typical weekend ride is more like 30 miles and 4000', with up to 40 miles and 7000' climb some times. I'm unlikely your speed anyway. But I can give you good maps of lots of places. Henry Coe is a great wilderness only 45 minutes south of San Jose. About a third of it singletrack and the rest with great wilderness views. You can ride 100 miles out there if you want - and never see anyone else.

I work around the corner from you and can show you some places to ride and provide you with maps. But you'll get great suggestions here. Join with some group rides.

What size and price you looking for? I have a Large (2002?) Trek Fuel with the new ZR9000 alloy. Just out of the shop with a rebuild and I'm getting ready to sell it. The 3" suspension feels almost like a hard tail to me now that I've been riding my Heckler for a year.

·
dust cloud
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know exactly what size I should be on now, I'm 6'3", so something on the bigger side.

Price... well, 800$ is ideal, but I'm willing to put in some extra coin if its a good deal. I originally wanted to get a hardtail because I figure I can get much better components on a hardtail for 800$ then get a so-so entry level FS bike for 800$.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
vostok4 said:
I don't know exactly what size I should be on now, I'm 6'3", so something on the bigger side.

Price... well, 800$ is ideal,....
Price is about what I'm thinking, but the Large has a 19.5" seat tube, which fits me great at 6'1". At your height, you probably want the XL at 21.5" seat tube, and perhaps 29" wheels.

Edit: Good Places to find bikes are the MTBR Classified and Craig's List

I'll stop by after you get in and shove a pile of trail maps in your hand. Not many nearby parks have the epic distance you want. (Niscene Marks to Demo, Henry Coe, Fort Ord, ...) To get in 60 miles you'll have to make lots of extra loops at other fun parks. Or you could urban ride to the parks from Santa Clara to get in the bonus miles.

I might show you some trails in south San Jose, but I'll be slow, and only 30 miles worth of the loops. Better to watch this NorCal fourm and you'll find plenty of rides with faster riders.

·
Transplant
881 Posts
"perhaps 29" wheels"

HA! I called it. Yeah man I would throw a leg over a 29er or two and see the advantage for us taller guys. I was skeptical but it really is a nice change and after 2-3 rides you don't even realize it til a migdet comes up and says "Hey whats up with the big wheels?!" Definetley try before you buy though! Here is a couple of pics of my bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts