Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've caught onto the uselessness of the the large chainring (44T) on my ride...i've got a standard 3X9 (44,32,22 and 11X34)...it's cheaper and quicker for me to deal just with the front rings and keep the 9 in back...so when folks talk about running 2 chainrings up front...the usually discard the outer ring on the standard 3 ring crank and just keep the 22 and 32 rings in thier original positions (inner and middle)...but some may use 2 rings that are different from 22 and 32 and run them in the same positions that the 22 and 32 were in?...some guys run a single ring up front, they put this ring in the middle position on the crank?...the middle ring generally gives the straightest chainline?...

if one runs a single ring up front...then they prolly need a chainguide to make sure the chain doesn't come off...could keeping the front derrailler, although superfluos, serve as a chainguide?

i often just stay in the middle ring for much of my XC work...maybe running a single up front, one can dial in thier shifting precisely and have almost flawless shifting but only 9 gears...i would take that in a heartbeat...if the front chainring isn't working...finding a different size is no problem

what don't i have right? thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You seem to have done your homework and understand your options. On a 3 ring setup the middle ring position is ideal for chainline (it is the chainline measuring point). Most guys I know who've dropped the big ring have kept the granny and middle as is and put a bash guard in place of the big ring, but depends on what you need in the way of gearing.

A derailleur will not work satisfactorily as a chain guide. You might not need one, either. If you do, there's plenty of options especially for a single ring (or two, if you're having problems with keeping the chain on already).

·
..probably out riding..
182 Posts
adamantane said:
i often just stay in the middle ring for much of my XC work...maybe running a single up front, one can dial in thier shifting precisely and have almost flawless shifting but only 9 gears...i would take that in a heartbeat...if the front chainring isn't working...finding a different size is no problem

what don't i have right? thanks
That will wear out your middle ring quick, use your big ring some to make your parts last longer. If I was only to have 2 rings, I'd get a bb that I could adjust the chainline with and run the two big rings, probably a 30-44, then you'd have 18 good gears.

You can get a single speed crankset.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HillbillyBiker said:
That will wear out your middle ring quick, use your big ring some to make your parts last longer. If I was only to have 2 rings, I'd get a bb that I could adjust the chainline with and run the two big rings, probably a 30-44, then you'd have 18 good gears.

You can get a single speed crankset.
billy..not a bad idea...do you think i could take off my granny chainring and then put my middle 32t ring where the granny was and then change the 44t bigring where the middle ring was? then i could run a bashguard on the outside of the crank cleanly....

if this would work, climbing would be a bit more work...but who goes fast climgin...just get there...two big rings with give me better speed on declines...once you reach 30 mph, the 44t isn't big enough

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.