Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kickin' around the idea of going disc on my new bike. I've had terrible luck with Avid Mechanicals in the past, which drove me back to V's. I've found that V's work pretty much as well as most discs that I've tried. I'm a XC rider, no serious DH, huckin', chuckin', buckin' etc...I don't ride in the mud or wet (unless it's during a race).

I haven't gone geeky on my bike and gram'd it all out, but I'm guessing it's at 26lbs. I just don't want to toss (too much) more weight on there, and I want performance that is other-friggin'-worldly. I hate it when disc brakes make a ching-ching-ching sound when going down the trail, like a tuning fork vibration or something.

So what I need to really KNOW is what is the drop-dead-best-on-the-planet disc brakes, when the intended usage is XC, and the desirable characteristics are POWER, light weight, feel, maintence free, sound free, trouble free....??

Here's the bike, only changes from photo is that I got my other custom wheels in (king/mavic A719's - heavy), and of course I put my real mtb tires on there, not those 'cross tires in the pic. If I went back to disc, I would probably put the wheels on that are photo'd, since they are much lighter than the king/719's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use Marta SL's....

I love my Marta's. Powerful enough for XC, very light and plenty of bling factor. I tuned mine up with aluminum and ti bolts and it comed out very light. I forgot the weight of them but its light. By the way, how do you like your white brothers fork. I have been considering purchasing a .8.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
atbcrash said:
I love my Marta's. Powerful enough for XC, very light and plenty of bling factor. I tuned mine up with aluminum and ti bolts and it comed out very light. I forgot the weight of them but its light. By the way, how do you like your white brothers fork. I have been considering purchasing a .8.
This is my 2nd WB BW.8 and it's the best 29er fork on the planet. If you are riding a 26" wheeled bike and don't care about the auto-lockout stuff of Fox's F80X, then the .8 is probably the best fork you can buy for all around riding. It's light (around 3.2 lbs for the regular .8), stiff 32mm stanctions, and world class customer service. Also, WB is seriously expanding thier line next year.

The only thing that threatens WB's 29er fork dominance is the upcoming RS Reba, which also has 32mm stanctions, lockout, adjustable travel, and RS's version of stable platform, which I beleive is just a lockout with a low blow-off threshhold. The current bad*ass on the 24hr racing scene, who rides exclusively Fisher 29ers, just got done testing/winning a race last weekend on the REBA and says it's better than the WB...of course he's a Fisher Team rider, and the REBA is available exclusively on Fishers, and through Fisher Dealers for 2005.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.