Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I havent owned a bike since I was a preteen. Whenever we go to the beach we rent one and have a great time. I picked up a very cheap mountain bike for dh at a yardsale a few years ago and I road it on the bike trail at the local park. I have decided to get my own bike. I was just going to go get a cheap $50 bike at Wal-Mart, but my husband wants me to spend a little more, but not a whole lot. I have been looking at the Schwinn Sierra Sport Comfort Mountain Bike. It is around $249. It seems to be a good choice for what I want to do.

I am 5'6".
I weigh 150 pounds.
I am female.
I mostly want to ride on the street and bike paths.
I may venture into mountain biking since I live in the mountains.
Since I live in the mountains I will pedal up hill as much as downhill.
I want to use biking to help lose weight.
I would like to only spend around $300. I am not serious about biking. Maybe one day, but I have an 18 month old and won't be able to get serious until she is much older.

Thanks for any and all types and advice you may have. I went to the bike shop yesterday and it was overwhelming. The guy there couldn't help me either. He told me to come back today when the owner is there. Hopefully he can help.

Thanks again,

Leigh

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Some thoughts

Hello Leigh,

Welcome to mtbr. Sounds like you've done some serious thinking about this purchase, which is good. First, read the article here about department store bikes. It should help in justifying making the purchase at a local bike store (LBS) as well as spending the right amount of money.

Based on what you've said, I would look into purchasing a commuter bike, comfort bike or a hybrid. You say you'll be using the bike on mostly paved surfaces, and it sounds more like you'll be using the bike more for recreation and fitness than anything. Your LBS should be able to show you a selection from a handful of manufacturers. I have a personal preference for bikes in this price range for those made by Giant. Giant is a huge manufacturer, and they make bicycles for many other brand names. Because of their size, manufacturing capabilities, and distribution channels, you get a lot for your money.

Be sure you test ride a few bikes before making your final decision. After all, fit and comfort are the most important factors once you've decided on what type of bike (mountain, comfort, hybrid, commuter) you want. Once you've made the purchase and start riding, it will be a matter of time before you know if you like riding enough to make the jump into buying a mountain bike. For what it's worth, you're probably looking at an investment of $500+ to get a bike that is worthy of being used off-road. With this in mind, buy yourself a nice bike to ride in the park and get some exercise. In time you'll know if the bike you have will suffice, or if you really want to make the investment into a second bike for off road purposes.

I hope this helps.

Clyde

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clyde! I will ask about the giant brand today when I go back to the bike shop. They didn't have a lot in stock when I was in there yesterday so I may have to do a little traveling to find a bike that suits me. I really want to buy a bike from them though. It is a small locally owned business and those are always my favorite to support. :)

Thanks again! Hopefully I can get the help I need today from the bike store owner.

Off to find the article you recommended,

Leigh

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Good luck Leigh

leighp said:
Thanks Clyde! I will ask about the giant brand today when I go back to the bike shop. They didn't have a lot in stock when I was in there yesterday so I may have to do a little traveling to find a bike that suits me. I really want to buy a bike from them though. It is a small locally owned business and those are always my favorite to support. :)

Thanks again! Hopefully I can get the help I need today from the bike store owner.

Off to find the article you recommended,

Leigh
I'm sure you'll find a bike that suits your needs.

BTW-The article I mentioned is the very first post in the Beginners Corner Forum. it's called "Beginners and Department Store Bikes".

Clyde

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.