Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hooked on the Scott Aspect 50, as the price point is great, and it has a lockout feature, which is good b/c I'll do 90% on road, and the rest on some non tech trails.

Ideally, I should probably get a cyclocross, but my budget is $600 CAD

After a dozen trips to many stores, the store I will purchase from has the Scott bike, a Specialize Hardrock, and a hardrock comp disc. I know the comp disc is the better bike, but it does not have lockout, and is $50 more.

From speaking with many, the Scott has a weak fork, but since I wont be offroad too much, this should be fine.

Just looking for some thoughts..

Thanks.
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
Get the most bike

you can for your $. If that's the Hardrock disc, you can make the fork "lock out" by setting the preload too high. You will get minimal movement, but in short, lockout is overrated, focus on the bike.

If it is a real issue for you, have the LBS swap the fork at purchase time. Both forks are entry level.

Good luck, Jim
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
Not to confuse you but

here goes: the Scott is not disc ready, so in future if you want to get discs, you're faced with a large $ amount to upgrade (new wheels, hubs, and brakes). The Specialized has discs now, and even if you don't need them, it will help with resale, and work better than VBrakes in wet conditions if that is an issue.

Hope that helps, Jim
 

·
renaissance cyclist
Joined
·
309 Posts
If I were you, I'd look at some other shops. Specialized makes good bikes, but they aren't a bang-for-the-buck kind of company. There is a premium on the name, and unless you really love Specialized bikes, I don't think there is any reason to pay it. You might want to keep looking for a shop that sells some of the lesser-known brands. With a $600-700 price range and closeout sales on 08 models, you can get a heck of a lot more bike in the form of GT Avalanche, or a Jamis Durango.

Heck, if you're just going to lock-out the fork anyway, why pay for the shock. I use an ancient rigid forked mountain bike as a commuter and it works great. For light tail riding, a steel frame with a rigid fork also works. http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=12733&Type=bike
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
And this is based on what?

debusama said:
Specialized makes good bikes, but they aren't a bang-for-the-buck kind of company. There is a premium on the name, and unless you really love Specialized bikes, I don't think there is any reason to pay it. QUOTE]

Simply not true. It's not a great thing to throw out opinions in the beginners' forum that you cannot substantiate. Specialized has earned one of the best names in the business via hard work and good product.

Yes there are value brands for a bit less, but understand you get what you pay for, no more and no less. Especially at this entry level where profit is minimal at best.

Jim
 

·
i call it a kaiser blade
Joined
·
744 Posts
unless you're riding a good quality vintage frame, bikes that are not disc ready these days are kinda unacceptable.
 

·
i call it a kaiser blade
Joined
·
744 Posts
JimC. said:
debusama said:
Specialized makes good bikes, but they aren't a bang-for-the-buck kind of company. There is a premium on the name, and unless you really love Specialized bikes, I don't think there is any reason to pay it. QUOTE]

Simply not true. It's not a great thing to throw out opinions in the beginners' forum that you cannot substantiate. Specialized has earned one of the best names in the business via hard work and good product.

Yes there are value brands for a bit less, but understand you get what you pay for, no more and no less. Especially at this entry level where profit is minimal at best.

Jim
whoa whoa whoa...

substantiate?

how about cheap alex rims, no name stems and handlebars, bargain basement truvativ cranks, low end derailleurs.

you have 2000 dollar specialized bikes sitting around on 50 dollar alexrims with schrader valves and sub XT drivetrains.

they love to throw cheap crap on their bikes, and having owned 3 spec's i've had to abandon them because of this.
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
Ok

that counts for substantiation, thanks.

same for me and GT: 2 bankruptcies, no parts for FS bikes.

But again, the OP is talking about a $500 USD bike ($600 CAD) and at that level, nothing will stand out except maybe fame design and tires.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, apologies.

Jim
 

·
renaissance cyclist
Joined
·
309 Posts
JimC. said:
Simply not true. It's not a great thing to throw out opinions in the beginners' forum that you cannot substantiate. Specialized has earned one of the best names in the business via hard work and good product.

Yes there are value brands for a bit less, but understand you get what you pay for, no more and no less. Especially at this entry level where profit is minimal at best.

Jim
I'm sorry, I though we were talking about a guy who just wanted to ride to the grocery store. I'm sure his loaf of bread and gallon of milk will feel much better knowing that the company that made the bike has such a great reputation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey,

No need to argue...but I am seeing the other side of the coin..

I am not using the bike for commuting..I live in a very hilly area, and plan on doing 100-150 miles on the weekend and during the week when work permits.

I am a long distance runner plagued by constant injury. I have been spinning the last few years, and after a recent bike tour in south america, have decided to buy a bike for fitness purposes.
 

·
Hoosier
Joined
·
442 Posts
I really would not suggest buying a mountain bike at all. If the bike is only for commuting and road riding I would be looking at used or low end road bikes and cyclocross bikes. A mountain bike will simply slow you down with fork bob on climbs, smaller wheels, and knobby tires that you will probably have to replace.
 

·
Hoosier
Joined
·
442 Posts
If you know your bike size and fit and have bought bicycles before I would suggest bikesdirect.com as they have a few cyclocross bikes in your price range. However, buying a bike without being able to test out how it fits is always a risk.
 

·
i call it a kaiser blade
Joined
·
744 Posts
Keatan said:
If you know your bike size and fit and have bought bicycles before I would suggest bikesdirect.com as they have a few cyclocross bikes in your price range. However, buying a bike without being able to test out how it fits is always a risk.
if the bike metrics are the same as your existing model, it's usually pretty safe.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top