Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may be better suited to the GT section, but im new to this so beginner section it is

i baught a 2001 GT Idrive 6 off eaby. i got it in the mail today and noticed some problems with it.

Forgive me if i call things by the wrong name here.
the 3 gears up front on the crank are all missing at least one tooth, upon futher inspection it looks like all 3 are riveted together right to the crank itself, if it helps its a suntour cr210. how hard is it gonna be for me to replace that? any sugestions on what i should buy to replace it, im on a budget(hence the used bike) but i dont wanna buy anything cheap either.

should i also replace the chain and rear cassette? while im at that should i also replace the front and rear derailers? the rear is a shimano acera, the front is a shiman alivio.

anything else i should inspect before i start riding this thing?

its raining today so i didnt really ride it hard but i just rode it around my building and shifted through all the gears. all seemed well, and its a much nicer bike than the HUFFY i had 12 or 13 yrs ago in grade school, so im pretty pleased other than the fact i was told it was a 2004(i learned it was a 2001 before i baught it so that didnt bother me too much), i was told it was in great shape, which its not really, and it came absolutly filthy, but oh well if i didnt buy this bike i probably wouldnt have got one at all

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Sounds like this bike is outfitted with pretty low-end components. Since you're on a budget I'd suggest just riding it as-is and only replace something if it doesn't work. You can often get away with missing teeth on teh chainrings. Also, some chainrings have a few shorter teeth and other features that help move the chain up onto the ring.

You may want to take it to a reputable bike shop and get a tuneup. Tell them that you may want to upgrade some components IN THE FUTURE and ask them what components they would recommend upgrading first.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i figured i probably ride it as is till it broke anyways.

theres a couple bike shops round here, only been to one tho and when i said I drive, she said whats that.

what are some middle of the road components that will get the job done but not brake the bank?
any online stores take paypal?

the pedals i have suck they have to go, the grips suck they have to go, the front fork seems like its pretty weak(i cant afford to change that nor do i know that i like mtbing enough to spend less on my other hobby), id like chainrings that i can remove one at a time, and that should about do it for now

·
Registered
105 Posts
theres a couple bike shops round here, only been to one tho and when i said I drive, she said whats that.

Look in the phone book for a GT dealer, they will help with frame issues, like your suspension.

what are some middle of the road components that will get the job done but not brake the bank?
any online stores take paypal?

Check out Pricepoint.com. They have a deal on Race Face crankset/Bottom Bracket combinations. For components, stick to clearance/sale parts from: Pricepoint.com, Jensonusa.com, Nashbar.com, Supergo.com, Adrenalinebikes.com
Before buying anything check out reviews here, and search the forums. I like truvativ, Sun Rims, Shimano Derore/LX, and Sram for there respective parts. Replace only what you need and learn to do your own wrenching. It's not too hard and you will learn how your bike works.

the grips suck they have to go

Lock on grips are cool.

the front fork seems like its pretty weak
Depending on which fork it is, you might be able to get new springs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the fork is a SR Suntour M 9050, can i change springs in that thing?

i read the reviews on it on this site nobody hated it but alot of people said it was soft feeling, im 6ft 3in 200lbs i would guess its gonna be soft

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Hey man, glad to hear you got a bike, sad to hear it has such sucky components - didn't realise they made i-drive's with that low a components set. If you don't mind how much exactly did you pay for it?

If you're gona upgrade go for Shimano DEORE or above. DEORE LX is really good for the quality to price ratio. Also Race Face makes good stuff but watch out for their lower end stuff (the SRX BB suck$ a$$. Once you get one of the higher end cranksets they won't be riveted together and you will have the option to replace chainrings as you desire. NOthing you can do with that fork but replace it, don't think you can buy anything to help it, only thing you could do is pick it apart yourself (if you were maybe familiar with suspension desgn) and use thicker oil and maybe do some work on any internal springs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i payed 300 for the bike, even tho it came with crap im glad i got it, cause had i not, i would have never

any idea what wt oils they use in shocks, i race rc cars have i have differntial oils up to about 100000 wt

and if i just go in and put some preload on the springs with heavy oil it should feel stiffer right?

the rear shock also feels soft, can you buy heavier springs for coil overs?

ill only be able to upgrade on thing at a time, and i guess i dont know what to do first.

on a side note, it was 80 degrees when i decided i wanted a bike, and today when i have a bike to ride, its 30 and snowing.

·
Registered
776 Posts
All that componentry is about what I'd expect for a $300 bike. You've got a good enough bike to learn on and find out where you need to be for your next bike.

There are some pretty steep transitions in some of the price points and you'll get to know what to expect.

Pull on some sweats and go ride. I live in Tampa and was riding through a hail storm this afternoon.

Ron

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Congrats

on your new ride. If in fact your chainrings are missing some teeth, I have a set of Specialized Strong Arm 2 cranks with 22/32/44 chainrings in very good condition that I'll let go of cheap. I also have a bottem bracket that I'll throw in if it's compatible. I think I have an extra crank puller around here somewhere. I'm not spamming, just trying to help a brother out. Leave your Email if you are interested.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Like others have posted Go Ride It! replace what you have problems with. You said it seemed to shift ok. As somone else posted the teeth on the rings are shaped differently and could give the illusion of a problem. If it is shifting ok chances are you are ok. It will start having alot of chainsuck problems if the rings need to be replaced. Now as far as grips I recomend getting good ODI lock ons. They will stay where you put them even in the rain. Ourys are good for people with big hands they are fat and cousiony.Ruffins are smaller in diameter but offer very little cusion. Just depends on what you like.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what exactly is chainsuck?

today i rode it to work and back just to time it to see how much earlier i have to wake up, it had trouble shifting once in a while, i would try to shift from say5th to 6th and it wouldnt shift untill i really put some force on the crank. how do i fix that? tighten the cable?

the crank and stem also had some creeking, well i know he crank was creeking, the stem may have just been cables rattling or rubbing or something.

i found a bunch of parts on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7150680734&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7150719872&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7151582972&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

will those three things work together on my bike?
are they good enough or should i be spending more?
will i need some new cables?

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
As stated previously,

you might think about taking your bike to a reputable LBS and have them tune and adjust your bike to fit you. Then, I suggest you go ride and have fun. After that, invest in a bicycle repair book, and check out web sites, www.parktool.com and [url]www.utahmountainbike.com [/URL] both have very good information on how to wrench your own bike. That said, I wouldn't buy any components until absolutley necessary.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Are the teeth really missing?

All the teeth on some crank rings are not all the same. Some look as if they are damaged or really worn. This is to aid in shifting. If they are actually missing, then disregard this. If they just look worn, have a bike shop look it over to make sure it is safe.

Probably not a bad idea to have them look it over anyway.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
primussucks said:
i payed 300 for the bike, even tho it came with crap im glad i got it, cause had i not, i would have never

any idea what wt oils they use in shocks, i race rc cars have i have differntial oils up to about 100000 wt

and if i just go in and put some preload on the springs with heavy oil it should feel stiffer right?

the rear shock also feels soft, can you buy heavier springs for coil overs?

ill only be able to upgrade on thing at a time, and i guess i dont know what to do first.

on a side note, it was 80 degrees when i decided i wanted a bike, and today when i have a bike to ride, its 30 and snowing.
OK well you got what you paid for and prob could have gotten a new bike with same components for that price. The good news is that the i-Drive frame is a pretty good frame so you have something that is worth upgrading (to a point). You will need to find out the sizes for the parts you need... i.e. the size of the BB, both bracket width and housing width for eg mines 68/113. size of the seat tube, so you know what size derailer you need/can use.

You can change the springs on coil over rear shocks, but don't know the availability for the shock you have- normally it's more a fact that the acual shock is what's crappy and the spring is kinda here or there.

The suggestion you find a good local bike shop and take it in for a tune up is a rather good idea. This way you can build a relationship with them and their renches and get some advice on what you might change and find out the proper sizes you want. Also if you replace stuff using them they can try out different stuff since they have the stock.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whats the going rate for a tune up at a bike shop?
do i have to find one that sells gt? ive located 2 in the area one sells gt but has bankers hours and i work 6 days a week and will never make it there, the other is pretty much trek only but they are open till 6 or so on saturday

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.