Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been surfing around Youtube watching MTB videos for awhile now. I bumbled around and found myself watching alot of vids about street/urban riding. Ive been trying to learn a few tricks like manuals etc and Ive noticed that while some guys are so good they could probably manual a wheelbarrow........that many were riding DJ bikes. Questions: Why DJ bikes. Is the geometry different from say a run of the mill hard tail mtb?, do the shorter chain stays etc make tricks easier to perform?

One other question. This chain guide roller I see on most all DJ bikes behind the chain ring. What is its purpose? Ive got an eye on a STP 0 over at Ebay right now and the bike is beautiful and "supposedly" almost new. But Im not seeing a chain roller on it. I wrote the guy and asked but have yet to hear back so I thought I'd just ask the experts here.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
I Void Waranties
541 Posts
Trexx said:
I've been surfing around Youtube watching MTB videos for awhile now. I bumbled around and found myself watching alot of vids about street/urban riding. Ive been trying to learn a few tricks like manuals etc and Ive noticed that while some guys are so good they could probably manual a wheelbarrow........that many were riding DJ bikes. Questions: Why DJ bikes. Is the geometry different from say a run of the mill hard tail mtb?, do the shorter chain stays etc make tricks easier to perform?

One other question. This chain guide roller I see on most all DJ bikes behind the chain ring. What is its purpose? Ive got an eye on a STP 0 over at Ebay right now and the bike is beautiful and "supposedly" almost new. But Im not seeing a chain roller on it. I wrote the guy and asked but have yet to hear back so I thought I'd just ask the experts here.

Thanks in advance for any info.
hey welcome to the forum,

looks like you have done some research which is a good thing... you cant go wrong with a used STP(if its in good nick as you mentioned). The geometry is much different then most other bikes in a sense that you will hardly ever sit on the saddle in for people used to other bikes it might seem a bit small..this is how we like play bikes as it gives you clearance between ur balls and the top-tube, is easier to flick around etc or perform better stunts easier if you will. The shorter chainstay makes the bike easier to pull up and balance out end this making it easier to manual...this will take some practice and a few crashes to perfect.

The chain roller you are talking about seems to be a tensioner that are often used on bikes that are used for Single speed when they dont have horizantal dropouts. If you are running gears this will not be required but SS is the way to go if this is the type of bike you want.

Hope I have it all covered...if not im sure "Will" master guru dirt jumping master will step in and fill out the gaps. I have never met him but seems like he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Trexx, Welcome to the wonderful world of DJ!

Punkey pretty much hit it. Think of a DJ as a big BMX bike more than a small mtn bike. Designed and built for getting the crap beat out of it instead of being an efficient hillclimb machine.

The tensioners/guides around the BB are for keeping the chain on when running gears. If you want to go SS and have vertical dropouts go with a tensioner that bolts in place of the rear der.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Punkeyboozter said:
np, when can we expect to see pics :D
Just as soon as I can get my hands on the right bike. I had my eyes on this STP on Ebay and was waiting for an answer to a question I had for the seller but it sold before I got my answer. Argh........ So back to the search....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.