Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I own a Gary Fisher Marlin, and my thoughts are to ride this into the ground while saving for a better ride. I've been looking at different bikes and I like the idea of a 29er, and since I find the Gary Fisher bikes fit me well I was thinking about the X-Caliber or maybe even the Paragon.

My questions are, given my size 6' 2" (30" inseam) and 250+ lbs, I can be hard on wheels. Given that 29er wheels are going to be bigger are they also going to be easier to bend and require more maintaince to keep straight?

I haven't been able to test ride a 29er yet, and since there is snow on the ground now (Ontario, Canada) I might have to wait till spring, so I was just a little curious as to how a 29er feels. Does the frontend of the bike feel higher then normal because of the clearance needed in the front shock? Or do you feel higher at all?

Any think else I should think about in regards to a 29er?

Oh and this is more just curiousity, my bike fund doesn't grow very fast so it might be a season or two before I have the funds saved. The Marlin was just purchased this season so it will be fine for a while, and this time I want to save untill I can afford the bike that I really want and one I won't want to upgrade. (like thats really going to happen)

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Theoretically larger wheels are weaker than an equally built smaller wheel. In practice, if you get a nice set of wheels you shouldn't have a problem. Go for 36 spoke, don't look to save weight in the hoops, and have a reputable wheel builder lace them up and you will be fine!

Re: the ride: I feel more stable and "in the bike" than I do with 26" wheels.

Re: the front end: Most production 29"ers have short-ish headtubes to compensate for the additional axle to crown height of the fork.

Good luck with your savings, but remember, it is the ride not the bike! Sounds like you have a serviceable bike for now. Ride it 'till it wears out and replace (with big wheels of course :D ).

LP

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lanpope
Thanks for the information sounds like the wheels wouldn't really be that much different, I guess is you put enough force on either size wheel your going to need to fix it.

As for the saving, its true there is nothing wrong with the bike I have now. Well except its a little bit low end. I was planning on doing some upgrades at the start of next season but I've decided against that. I'm going to fix things only when they break and whenever I end up with the funds to support a new bike I'll seriously look at whats out there.

I'm thinking I'll try to find a shop that will let me try a 29er though it really sounds like a good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.