Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

i just want to ask a very newbie question.

first a little background about me. i used to ride a lot back in the 90's with my bmx. then decided to go bigger(mtb) with a hardtail single speed urban/street bike. now i've decided to go all mountain/trail full suspension bike and i want to start and build around my dream frame 2008 ELLSWORTH MOMENT. money is a big problem for me but at the same time i want my bike to be something that would last longer than my riding capabilities. that's why my plan is to take it slow and and really do my research before buying any part that i would put in my bike. so far i bought a frame(Ells),headset (chris king), fork (fox talas) and chris king front hubs 20mm. i'm contented to ride it with my single speed set-up from my urban bike. i really want to be careful and not waste money buying parts that i would end-up selling for a lower price simply because it's not compatible or it's a force buy for me.

my question:

should i worry about the geometry of my bike too much?

or

geometry doesn't matter as long as i'm comfortable riding it?

or

it's all about the looks? hehehehehe

thanks in advance!

RIDE ON!!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
a bit late for that question!!!!

Since you already chose a frame, you are pretty much stuck with
Your moment's geometry. Current trend in geometry is to go
Slack. Low head angle and seat angle. This allows for more
Control on the downhills, but slower steering for cross country
Type courses (many turns, lots of bike flicking). What works
For you depends solely on your preference and type of riding
As trail bikes go, the moment' geometry is on the steep side,
You being an old time rider, I think you will like the moment's geo

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Any luck on putting this bike together? Any photos? I have an 05 moment, great bike, but never quite fit me. I have a 07 epiphany though that I am crazy about. Wish it had a larger seatpost diameter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the inputs guys. now i really can't wait to ride this baby. from the shop to the house made me stoked already. riding a full-suspension bike is way different from hardtail bikes. all your inputs will help. again, thank you for contributing. i'm still in the learning stage so every little input will help.

this is what i have now. decided to go for a chris king 20mm coz my old hub won't fit (9mm) so, basically no choice. oops, i have to put my chain tensioner hehehehe.

i'm planning to save up for "gear set" (back only) for my next purchase. any other suggestions for my next buy? am i right saving up for a "gear set" (is this the right term for that?) hehehehehe

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ellsworth don't have "model years" like big brands (Specialized, Trek, etc.)

they define their frame models by using the "Mark" classification

the Mk1 Moment had a round carbon fibre bridge on the aluminium rocker

the Mk2 Moment (this is your frame) had a rectangular carbon fibre bridge on the aluminium rocker

the MK3 Moment (also called SST) introduced more swoopy looking shaped tubing rather than the round tubing on the Mk1 and Mk2

the Mk4 Moment (called SST2) introduced ISCG mounts, tapered head tube and slightly adjusted geometry

have fun with your Mk 2 Moment, its a great frame and a really nice ride, with great geometry and tough for real world riding

·
Registered
29 Posts
sparker3000 said:
Your frame is actually a Mk1 not a Mk2.
Not sure what determines the moment to be Mk1 or Mk2

This frame is definitely the revised version. It has a flat carbon connecting the upper linkage. The linkage from the chainstay to the main triangle may has some sort of cross reinforcement.

Heres my "MK1" bike. notice its with the round carbon tube. The lower link is hollow (cant see from this picture though)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
hjtan - It is definitely a MK1 although you rightly point out that it has updated rockers. The Mk1 has straight tubes and a headtube gusset. I have a MK2 , see here (not my frame):

Then the Mk3 went with swoopy tubes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.