Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking at buying my first 29er and want to make sure I buy the 'right' one. I think I have narrowed it down to the following 3.

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2
Giant XTC 29er 2
Specialized Rockhopper 29er Pro

As far as price the Cann. and the Giant are almost exact. However, the Specialized is about $400 more. I'm leaning toward the Giant...I think. Any opinions??? Is the Specialized worth the extra 400 bones???

thanks all....

·
Registered
211 Posts
If I were you, I'd look for a 2nd hand one from further up in the food chain. Lighter frame, better suspension...

Not that those bikes are bad, but with a bit of good of good luck you could make a better deal.

Just my 2 cents ;-)

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I don't think anyone responded to your post initially because there was no info there. You want us to do your research for you? Or are you looking for the type of post that's along the lines of 'I own a Specialized and I'm very happy with it'?

That said, I own a Specialized and I'm very happy with it. :thumbsup: I was sorry that I had to buy new wheels for it because they were so flexy, but my Rockhopper was a budget buy. Looks like the one you're looking at has better wheels (DT Swiss).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finch Platte said:
I don't think anyone responded to your post initially because there was no info there. You want us to do your research for you? Or are you looking for the type of post that's along the lines of 'I own a Specialized and I'm very happy with it'?

That said, I own a Specialized and I'm very happy with it. :thumbsup: I was sorry that I had to buy new wheels for it because they were so flexy, but my Rockhopper was a budget buy. Looks like the one you're looking at has better wheels (DT Swiss).
Maybe you missed the part where I said "NEWBIE QUESTION"?!?!?!?! I've done a lot of research. I've been to more than 7 bike shops within 100 miles of my location. I've been all over the internet researching and comparing as well. However, with me being new to all this I don't know on some of the components which ones offer an advantage over the other. That is why I turned to you guys (those who HAVE been around this)! I kinda thought that's what these forums are for? You know to help each other out, share info and what not!

With that being said, I have since narrowed down to 2 bikes. The Specialized Rockhopper Pro 29er and the Giant XTC 29er 2 (as can't find a Cannondale in stock till May?). Both have an air fork and hydro brakes. Which were two things I was definitely looking for in my new 29er. However, there's about a $400 price difference between the 2 (Specialized being more) and is it really worth spending the extra $400. Annndddd....that is my dilemma. I really don't know which one has the better crankset, f/r derailers...Some examples:

Front Derailer: Shimano Alivio or Shimano Deore
Rear Derailer: Shimano M445 or Shimano SLX
Crankset: Shimano Alivio or Shimano FC-M521
Shifters: Shimano Alivio Rapidfire or Shimano SL-M590 Deore
Brakes: Shimano M445 or Avid Juicy 3 SL
Fork: Marzocchi 44 TST2 or RockShox Recon Silver SL 29

Me, like I mention, being a 'Newbie' to all this haven't much of an idea which offer the advantage. Of course I could ask the salesperson at the store, but beings who these bikes are at two different (competitors) shops I am sure each will side with their own!

In conclusion, I am leaning toward the Specialized even tho it's more expensive, unless someone can tell me it's not worth the extra $400.

thanks for any and all info!

·
3,707 Posts
Ride it. If they all feel good, go with the better bike shop. If they're all good, go with the cheaper option.

My favorite lbs sells Specialized, so that's what I would get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
p nut -
that's the other thing. I've only riden the Specialized. The other shop is quite a bit smaller and doesn't actually have the bike in stock. Of course he would get it in if I am willing to purchase it.

So, it sounds like I'll be spending the extra $400 :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
262 Posts
cong95, let us know your price range, I think there might be some rides you left out. with the 3 you have selected I would go spec or giant, not a big fan of the new Cannondale stuff as I broke a frame within weeks of it being new and the warranty process was the biggest PIA ever. However I do ride a C'dale Caffeine f29 and really enjoy it (keep having thoughts about breaking it, but so far so good:) ) In a week it will become backup/buddy bike as my Tallboy is almost done. I would look at Niner, Salsa, Trek.Gary Fisher also. You can get a lot more bike for you dollar if you find a nice used one. Craigslist, pinkbike, and these forums have good classifieds to get a better bike for the $$. I have found fully completed 1 year old Tallboys for around 2500 which new would cost over 4500. Good luck in you search.
s

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
cong95 said:
p nut -
that's the other thing. I've only riden the Specialized. The other shop is quite a bit smaller and doesn't actually have the bike in stock. Of course he would get it in if I am willing to purchase it.

So, it sounds like I'll be spending the extra $400 :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input!
Have him order the Giant. Those bikes are hot items so he won't be stuck with something he can't sell if you decide not to buy it.

Two things about the Giant are far superior to the Spesh:

1) tapered headtube/steerer

and

2) thru axle front wheel

The Giant will be much stiffer and steer better. Thru axle/tapered steerer is fast becoming a new standard in mountain bikes so you're bike will be relevant longer and have better resale value.

Another thing to keep in mind; I know $1500 FEELS like a lot for a new bike to a first time buyer but honestly, you're not going to get a top notch parts spec for that money. I would suggest buying the best frame/fork you can since those are the two items of the bike you'll most likely have the longest. Pedals, shifters, derailleurs, wheels, etc. are all wear items so if you actually put miles on the bike, in a couple years you won't even have any of these stock parts you're obsessing over so much;)

Long story short, have the Giant dealer get you a bike to test ride and buy the RIDE you like, not the words off some webpage...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts